Tint Shop Scratched My Window - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Angry Tint Shop Scratched My Window

I had to take my car back in because I noticed some bubbling on my front windows. Sat there for about an hour last night after work before he took my car into the garage. I was so tired of being there, when he was done, I drove straight home. Got home and started to inspect. Well there are now scratches in my driver's side door window. DEFINITELY not there before he took my car into his garage. They're deep enough that my finger nail catches in them and are very noticeable. The thing is, they're on the outside! WTH?

I went back last night but he had already left. Slept on it, and called this morning. I was very pleasant at first. Just simply saying, how I noticed the scratches and obviously they weren't there before I brought my car in last night, and that I would really appreciate them fixing it or compensating me on repairs. Well, the guy started telling me that it was impossible that he did it, it was there before and that I just didn't notice it. Excuse me, my car is 3 weeks old. I admire and stare at the thing all the time. I would have noticed.

He said the shop owner will call me when he comes in later, and I've since talked to my mom who is a legal secretary to see if I can get some kind of advise from one of her bosses or see if one of them would call the tint shop.

What do I do? Are these scratches even reparable or am I going to now need a new window? Is there any way to prove that this was done by them or is it my word vs. theirs?

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011
MACH I Member

Sorry to hear about your scratch. Unfortunately that is a risk we take any time we allow someone else to work on our cars. Even now I'm putting off taking it in to the dealership for an annual inspection of my rust module. When I took it in to have my engine tick fixed I actually took pictures of the entire car from several angles and did a walk around with the service manager. That way if they damaged something I would have proof that the damage was not there before I dropped it off.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011
Apprentice

When I got my windows tinted, the shop also told me I had a scratch on the outside passenger window. I didn't blame him or anything but was a bit skeptical that it was scratched when I brought it in, since I had less then 200 miles at that point.

Regardless, I buffed out the scratch with jeweler's rouge. If it's a light scratch (fingernail barely catches it) you should be able to get the scratch out without totally destroying your window. I buffed mine out just enough so that you can't see the scratch unless you're absolutely staring at it.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011
Apprentice

Cerium Oxide might make it look better.

2011 Mustang GT
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011
PONY Member

Some installers put the tint on the outside and trim it close to the shape of the window, then take a heat gun and heat it up so it stretches to the curve of the window before peeling the backing off and installing on the inside. Depending on where the scratch is, this may be what happened. I can't see them pushing that hard with the razor unless they were trying to save money by not using fresh blade on your install. They can fix stone chips in glass, so maybe they can fix scratches.

2012 GT Grabber Blue Vert, 6MT
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
I had to take my car back in because I noticed some bubbling on my front windows. Sat there for about an hour last night after work before he took my car into the garage. I was so tired of being there, when he was done, I drove straight home. Got home and started to inspect. Well there are now scratches in my driver's side door window. DEFINITELY not there before he took my car into his garage. They're deep enough that my finger nail catches in them and are very noticeable. The thing is, they're on the outside! WTH?

I went back last night but he had already left. Slept on it, and called this morning. I was very pleasant at first. Just simply saying, how I noticed the scratches and obviously they weren't there before I brought my car in last night, and that I would really appreciate them fixing it or compensating me on repairs. Well, the guy started telling me that it was impossible that he did it, it was there before and that I just didn't notice it. Excuse me, my car is 3 weeks old. I admire and stare at the thing all the time. I would have noticed.

He said the shop owner will call me when he comes in later, and I've since talked to my mom who is a legal secretary to see if I can get some kind of advise from one of her bosses or see if one of them would call the tint shop.

What do I do? Are these scratches even reparable or am I going to now need a new window? Is there any way to prove that this was done by them or is it my word vs. theirs?
Driver's side near the edge, the bottom, the roof, the middle? It could be from a ring if he was holding onto the door frame while trying to squeegee out the bubbles. Maybe holding a knife in that hand while doing the same? If he put a whole new piece on, they cut the tint while it's on the outside of the car.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
This is why I'm glad to pay a shop that machine cuts their tint. I had an installer cut the rear defroster wire on a brand new car once; I'll never take my car to a hand-cut shop again.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
GT Member

I video taped all areas with the car that would be near window work, with the installer present for the video. I left the video with them timestamped. This was years ago, but it was a great motivator. I'd take a car to them again.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
PONY Member

I had a tint shop scratch the outside window of a car one time . I didn't know it happened .The shop owner told me about it when I picked it up .
Anyway the shop owner had a guy come to my house that polishes glass with a small fancy machine . It took the scratch out but when you looked at the scratch area in the light at the right angle you could see where the glass now had an indent or depression from the polishing . It was more noticable than when I had just the scratch .
PONY Member

This is really making me doubt getting tint. However, I'm sure that for every flawed tint job, there are dozens of perfect ones.

Or at least I hope...

2011 Ingot Silver GT Premium - 6MT - California Special - HID - 3.73 - Glass Roof - Roush Axle Backs
BBR Shortie Antenna - Viper SmartStart - Barton Shifter & Bracket - JLT Oil Separator - Amsoil Synchromesh

Ordered: 11/6/10 | Obtained VIN: 11/19/2010 | Delivery Date: 12/23/2010 | Window Sticker: 12/10/2010 | Build Date: 12/16/2010 | Body Shop: 12/14/2010 | Trim Line: 12/15/2010 | Ready to Ship: 12/16/2010 | New Delivery Date: 12/29/2010 | Delivered: 1/5/2011
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post

I had the same thing happen to my driver's side door window, but it was a paintless dent repair dude that did it to mine. He gave me the $110 back that I spent to have the dent removed so I didn't persue the matter further. Chalked it up to a stuff happens thing. Heck, I was happy that he was able to fix my door ding. Mine is the same.. You can run your finger nail accross it. I've been told that there are some glass companies that may be able to buff it, but I'm not going to worry about it. I guess the windows on these new Mustang's are very soft. Hope you get your problem resolved to your satisfaction.

2016 GT Premium Coupe|Equipment Group 401A|GT Performance Package
MACH I Member

Sorry to hear this. I also had it happen once before, but the shop owner made it right. At first I accepted them trying to buff it out, but after two tries the owner coughed-up the cash for a window replacement and then they tinted that one. I went away a happy customer and never hesitated to recommend them to anyone that would listen.

I hope you get it sorted man.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for all the support guys. As of right now I haven't heard anything, but I am having a lawyer, free of charge, right up a letter. Perhaps this will scare them into giving me some kind of compensation for fear of being taken to small claims court. Seriously, all I want is for them to just admit wrong doing and hand me a little cash, nothing major. If this happens, I'll go away. If it doesn't, I'll obviously never recommend them to anyone, and might actually go out of my way to make sure they lose business by contacting the BBB. One person told me to go picket outside their garage until I got results. I don't want to waste my time on that though. Maybe, if it's not fixed, I'll just go to shows with my car, and put a little note by my window to show people their work. Enjoy losing business over something that could go away with as little as a few bucks.

Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
PONY Member

Post up some pics so we can see what you're talking about .
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 Nick View Post
Post up some pics so we can see what you're talking about .
I took some last night, but I forgot to upload them or bring my camera. I'll get 'em up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page