Coupe windows.... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Coupe windows....

Does anyone else wish the rear side windows on the coupe opened?

I think going down the highway with the windows down it would lower the turbulence and improve noise levels/interior airflow.

Dont have to roll down, just pop open about an inch

2012 Mustang GT Premium 5.0/6spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Yeah, wind noise in the 2011/2012 Mustangs while driving at speed is terrible. You either have to have the window cracked or just opened about 1/4 inch or you can't even hear the radio.

I have the side window louvers on my GT/CS and am looking to replace with the louvers that you remove the glass and insert. I have seen some of these that have functioning vents that open and close. (Like the old 69s). This may help the wind noise a bit, but at the very least it will provide better air flow in the cabin.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I would love if they rolled down. Lucky convertible owners!

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
Grimace427

I am almost always driving home with the windows down on the highway with no issues. I have the radio at about 50% but unless I'm in traffic or it's raining I put the windows down and I don't have any buffeting or excessive noise. My '08 Audi A4 took some crazy adjustments for all 4 windows before the noise became tolerable.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Personally I don't mind it. The wind noise can get pretty heavy, but when I'm driving at 80-90 with the windows down, cig in hand, I don't usually care. I don't personally feel that the stock radio is anywhere NEAR as bad as some people say it is, I just turn it up and cruise.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I imagine a pop-out is at least within the scope of reality. Figure out how to do it and you can quit your day job.

However I want a trick full power version that fully disappears into the body. And while I'm dreaming, how about real honest to God vents that suck in fresh air directly from the outside.

Oops, my age is showing on that last one, LOL!

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I wish I had the(any) fabrication skills. I'd try it if I thought I could.

Another thought... and I think Ford used to have cars with a feature like this in the 60s.... Have the rear glass either pop open or roll down 1-2".

2012 Mustang GT Premium 5.0/6spd
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011
Grimace427

My '67 has louvers with a sliding vent in the quarter windows. I can see how that could be retrofitted for the 2011's.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I wish those little windows did pop open, especially to vent this thing during the summer while it's parked. The desert Southwest is no joke in the summer.

I love rolling at 80 MPH with both windows down all the way and the radio cranked. Plenty of volume on the stock Shaker 500 system, and I don't get that helicopter blade-like chop from the wind like I used to get in my Tacoma and a few other late model vehicles I've ridden in.

Of course, I wish I had a factory moon roof too. Even a pop-up aftermarket sun roof would be okay. I'd just have to find a way to buy window tint from Japan, that allows only 5% sunlight into the car, to keep from frying my grape out here.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
I wish those little windows did pop open, especially to vent this thing during the summer while it's parked. The desert Southwest is no joke in the summer.

I love rolling at 80 MPH with both windows down all the way and the radio cranked. Plenty of volume on the stock Shaker 500 system, and I don't get that helicopter blade-like chop from the wind like I used to get in my Tacoma and a few other late model vehicles I've ridden in.

Of course, I wish I had a factory moon roof too. Even a pop-up aftermarket sun roof would be okay. I'd just have to find a way to buy window tint from Japan, that allows only 5% sunlight into the car, to keep from frying my grape out here.
I agree, 80, windows down, radio up, it's a great combination. My Monte Carlo had the chop noise you're talking about. Very aggravating. I also wish the Mustang had a sunroof. Oh well.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
Yeah, wind noise in the 2011/2012 Mustangs while driving at speed is terrible. You either have to have the window cracked or just opened about 1/4 inch or you can't even hear the radio.

I have the side window louvers on my GT/CS and am looking to replace with the louvers that you remove the glass and insert. I have seen some of these that have functioning vents that open and close. (Like the old 69s). This may help the wind noise a bit, but at the very least it will provide better air flow in the cabin.
Hi GT STYLE,

Have you brought this up to your dealer’s attention? I’d like to escalate this for you and help you get it resolved. Could you please message me with your VIN, contact info, and dealer?

Deysha
Apprentice

I drive around all day everyday with the windows down and don't notice excessive wind noise.

My concern with opening the rear quarter windows would be more prone to leaks, guess it depends on quality of fabrication, but a concern that enters my mind.

2012 V6 Premium MCA Kona Blue / Charcoal (Ordered 2/20/12)
(Delivered 5/2/12)

Automatic, 3.31, Electronics Package, HID/Security, Comfort Package, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page