How long to get a VIN? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

How long to get a VIN?

If you ordered a 2012 V6, how long did it take to get your VIN? I ordered on June 4 and still waiting. I thought maybe the quality hold I've read about due to the issues with the manual trans might actually make my auto trans equipped car get here a little sooner. Unless manuals and autos are made in different plants, in which case it probably won't have any effect at all.

2012 V6, Kona Blue with appearance package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011
Apprentice

Ordered 6/6 and got the VIN 6/23. Ask your dealer if they have allocation. Some won't tell you they don't when you order and leave you hanging for months.

'12 Black GT California Special - HID's - Electronics Package - Comfort Package
Ordered: 6/6/11 VIN: 6/23 Window Sticker: 6/29 Build Date: 7/20 Delivered: 7/28
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The best and most up to date info on this is going to be over on the Who Ordered a 2012 thread pinned to the top of the forum.

The only thing that will make a difference is your dealer's allocation and the Priority Number assigned to your car (especially important if multiple Mustang orders are in play at the dealership you ordered from). Commonly passed along info is there can only be one Priority 10 per dealership, this is not true. 10 is the lowest (best) priority a dealer can assign to your order upfront.

The final assembly for all Mustangs is at the Auto Alliance Plant in Flat Rock, MI, regardless of whether the car gets a manual (made in China) or the auto (made in Livonia, MI). Things may have changed, but the hold was on releasing cars from the plant, not building them. Yeah, doesn't make much sense to me either.

Here's my timeline if it helps, fairly typical I'd say IF your dealer has allocation, 15 days from order to VIN.

Placed a new order with a new dealer (Chapman Ford of Marysville, Ohio) on 04-01-2011 ● DORA 04-05-2011 ● Build Week Assigned 04-12-2011 ● 04-15-2011 VIN ● 04-21-2011 Window Sticker/Build Date Online ● Bucked 04-27-2011 ● Completed 05-02-2011 ● Arrived at dealer 05-26-2011 ● Took delivery on 05-27-2011

PS Not to scare you but it took me over 8 months all together because my first dealer screwed up my first order (a late 2011) then didn't have allocation to get a replacement. Some people have been waiting even longer. If you haven't heard anything yet, I'd sort of think you had an allocation issue. Did you contact Deysha?

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ordered mine on Mar 2 and picked it up June 23, I think my dealer gave me the vin in the middle of May.

It was longer than I expected, but with a job, a wife and three kids, the time just flew by.

Past: 69 coupe 351W 4spd, 93 5.0 5spd coupe Royal Blue, 92 5.0 5spd coupe calypso green, 91 5.0 5spd coupe Red... All gone but not forgotten

2012 Kona Blue Metallic 5.0 6spd Premium Convertible
Its here
67 Mustang coupe 289/toploader 4 spd... Thinking abut a 445 FE Stroker

72 911E 2.7RS 5spd
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrsk8r View Post
If you ordered a 2012 V6, how long did it take to get your VIN? I ordered on June 4 and still waiting. I thought maybe the quality hold I've read about due to the issues with the manual trans might actually make my auto trans equipped car get here a little sooner. Unless manuals and autos are made in different plants, in which case it probably won't have any effect at all.
Hey Cybrsk8r,

Orders are scheduled based the following criteria:
-the priority code rating
-the dealer's allocation for each production week
-the ordered option content
-the receipt date
The receipt date is a factor when breaking ties for orders with the same priority code. This is why some orders have scheduled and some have not. It can take a week or it could take months depending on your dealer. I can track yours for you if you’d like, just message me with your dealer name and order number

Deysha
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011
PONY Member

See sig for dates. I made sure my dealer had an allocation before I ordered, or at least told me that he did.

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the replies. It appears that my dealer (Sheehy Ford, Gaithersburg, MD) had the VIN and never called me with it. If allocation is tied to sales volume, then Sheehy must be pretty high on the dealership food-chain. They have 6 or 7 Ford dealerships spread out from DC to Richmond. My car has already been built and should be delivered about 5 1/2 weeks from the order date.

2012 V6, Kona Blue with appearance package
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011
Apprentice

My dealer gave mine a priority of 10, and I can tell so far this made a huge difference in the speed of my order. So far so good for me...I do feel for those folks who have had so much trouble and are having to wait so much longer.

Black 2012 GT, 401A, 6-Spd Man, Black w/ Cashmere Accent, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, Brembo's, 3.55s, Glass Roof, RVC.

Ordered 6/11 * DORA 6/11 * Vin# 6/30 * Sticker 7/01 * Build Date 7/21 * Delivery Date 8/24 * Mine 8/27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page