Fresh Clay bar and wax for the fourth! - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioxvance View Post
I got a pack of 8 at target, they were orange colored and work great!
LOL oh man those are terrible! hahhah I use those for cleaning under the hood.

Get you a few blue cobras for general wiping duty and a gold cobra for wiping down a final polish

Cobra Miracle Towels, microfiber buffing towels, Miracle microfiber towel

The Cobra Gold Plush XL Microfiber Towel measures a whopping 26 x 35 inches! Use it to dry your vehicle in minutes.

the minute you hold one of those, you'll understand why they're more expensive than the target/walmart/autozone microfiber towels.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I've never had an issue with them, maybe I got a good batch? lol

2011 GT/CS Race Red auto

Interior: 5.0 floor mats
Exterior: 302 C.I. decals on hood, window tint 5% on back 15% on front, DG custom quarter window louvers
Performance: Roush Axelback, Bama tune, k&n drop in filter

Next Mod: 18 inch matte black bullitt rims w/ staggered 9/10 set up and nitto tires.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastredponycar View Post
Do yourself a favor and invest in a decent random oribital polisher/buffer.

I use the griot's garage one. It's not too expensive and it's built well and has held up to countless 5+ hour detailing sessions.
Thanks for the info. I saw griot's garage at a local car show a few weeks back. They are from the Seattle area (Tacoma actually). I got a free catalog from them. Which did you buy? I saw a few different kinds. Some in kits and some not.

Quote:
I waited 8 months to polish mine, mostly because it stayed in the sun most days before I got a cover since I live in the barracks, after I polished my paint the color looked way more rich and glass like, even better than it did when I got it off the showroom floor, with kona blue I would totally suggest it for the first time you clay bar and wax, you will not be disappointed, get a good set of microfiber towels too, I got a pack of 8 at target, they were orange colored and work great!
Yah I think I need to look into a polisher. I see you did one without. But I see Fastred's point of doing it by hand is just not as effective and just more tiresome/time-consuming. Cool to see you did it by hand anyway though!

I guess I don't know the difference between the difference polishers... just a plain 'ol one or an orbital one... etc.

DELIVERED: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, Kona Blue, Black Leather Interior, HIDs, 3.73, Security, 19 inch Painted Aluminum Rims - Roush: Front Valance, Front/Side Splitters

Washington State 5.0 Owner's Thread:

allfordmustangs.com/forums/west-coast/240489-official-washington-state-5-0-owners-thread.html

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilram11 View Post
Thanks for the info. I saw griot's garage at a local car show a few weeks back. They are from the Seattle area (Tacoma actually). I got a free catalog from them. Which did you buy? I saw a few different kinds. Some in kits and some not.
Mine is the 6 speed red one. I think that they only sell 1 but in various polishing kits. Their pads are ok but I prefer the cobra ones much more as they offer several different types and the cross groove surface is more effective.

Quote:
I've never had an issue with them, maybe I got a good batch? lol
Well... it's a matter of them not being as thick and holding as much dirt. The higher quality microfiber is noticably thicker and spongier and holds more dirt inside the cloth minimizing the chance for swirl marks.

Just try that gold one. Just order one and see what you think.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jlawrence613
So let's say, I have a coat of wax on already but I want to stip and start all over. Would I:

1. Wash car with dish soap to strip wax off
2. Clay Bar
3. Polish
4. Wax

Grabber Blue 2011 V6 Premium A6 Coupe Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, BBK Longtube Headers w/ O/R Xpipe, Steeda CAI, Dynomax 2.5" Ultra Flo Catback, Boss302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 '10 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555 Next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Al Driveshaft, . Styling: 15% Tint, Black Spoiler, Decklid Panel, & Grille Surround. Chin Spoiler, Hood Spears

Best to Date - 13.212 @ 105.79 - Uncorrected
Apprentice

Anyone whos purchased a new vehicle should have it claybarred , polished and wax immediately. Definitely claybar before you even think about using a cloth or towel, i dont care how good or expensive the cloth is.

All your going to do is start the swirl process of rubbing these contaminants across and into the surface

Ordered 2012 GT Premium Coupe : Yellow Blaze Tricoat : Rapid Spec 401A : 6 Speed Automatic : Power Code Remote Start : 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Order Date 02/21/2011
Window sticker issued 03/24/2011
Build Week 04/04/2011, now delayed till 04/11/2011 ETA 04/20/2011. ETA now 05/09

VIN# 1ZVBP8CF3C5214391

Last edited by infliktor; 07-06-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spell
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastredponycar View Post

Well... it's a matter of them not being as thick and holding as much dirt. The higher quality microfiber is noticably thicker and spongier and holds more dirt inside the cloth minimizing the chance for swirl marks.

Just try that gold one. Just order one and see what you think.
Man now I'm gonna spend more money lol cause i wanna see what you're talkin about haha

2011 GT/CS Race Red auto

Interior: 5.0 floor mats
Exterior: 302 C.I. decals on hood, window tint 5% on back 15% on front, DG custom quarter window louvers
Performance: Roush Axelback, Bama tune, k&n drop in filter

Next Mod: 18 inch matte black bullitt rims w/ staggered 9/10 set up and nitto tires.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infliktor View Post
Anyone whos purchased a new vehicle should have it claybarred , polished and wax immediately. Definitely claybar before you even think about using a cloth or towel, i dont care how good or expensive the cloth is.

All your going to do is start the swirl process of rubbing these contaminants across and into the surface
What contaminants are going to be on the paint when it is at it's freshest, right after purchase? I don't see an issue with claying right away, but my car, after a wash a spray wax (Turtle Wax Ice) is smooth as silk.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
What contaminants are going to be on the paint when it is at it's freshest, right after purchase? I don't see an issue with claying right away, but my car, after a wash a spray wax (Turtle Wax Ice) is smooth as silk.
rail dust is the #1 reason. The problem with new vehicles is that the dealers usually will wax (quite poorly I might add) all new deliveries essentially handing a customer a brand new car with lots of swirl marks that weren't there when it left the factory.

I specifically told my dealer NOT to touch my car. He said they were required to wash but would not do any wax/polish or anything.

when I went to pick it up, I inspected every square inch of the paint and it was perfectly smooth (though lots of orange peel but seems like that's on par for 95% of all cars)

MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

^ I guess that makes sense.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page