Road trip coming up - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Road trip coming up

I'll be taking the family vacation in a couple weeks driving from Phoenix to San Diego and can't decide which vehicle to take. I have a 2010 F150 SCREW 4x4 which of course has a ton of room for the kids in the back and plenty of room for everything we could ever want to take. The down side is we'll be staying in a condo by the beach and I doubt the truck will fit in the narrow single car garage at the condo and I'll have to park it a couple blocks away in public parking.

Choice 2 is my 2011 5.0 with the 6M, Airaid CAI, BAMA tune and Roush AB's. I'd love to open her up on the drive and give her some road time (garage queen). But then there's the issue of limited room in the rear for the kids, one 7 and one 10. Also need to use 91 octane fuel for the tune. I also wonder about loading the trunk with what we'll take. It's not lowered, yet, but wonder the weight of 4 passangers and everything we stuff in the trunk for the trip will have on the suspension.

Option 3 is the same as 2 except it's the wife's base Kona blue 2011 V6. 6A, No mods on it, it's a lease, so 87 octane fuel. Missing the upgrades of my 401a premium package. Same issues with suspension questions but much better fuel economy.

Either car would obviously be easier to get around in with all the beach traffic and would allow us to use the garage in the condo. But could be limited on what we bring with us. It's a a single car garage build under the condo. Two unit building. Alley way to access the garage looks about as wide as a single lane street. The truck would be a nice drive with extra room but the possibility of not being able to use the garage worries me. Although guess if it gets stolen in the public parking area that gives me an excuse to upgrade to a Raptor lol.

So who has made a 6 hour family trip in the stang and how was it? Anyone familiar with the traffic / parking issues in the mission beach area feel free to chime in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Just from reading this, I'd be in the truck.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne89 View Post
I'll be taking the family vacation in a couple weeks driving from Phoenix to San Diego and can't decide which vehicle to take. I have a 2010 F150 SCREW 4x4 which of course has a ton of room for the kids in the back and plenty of room for everything we could ever want to take. The down side is we'll be staying in a condo by the beach and I doubt the truck will fit in the narrow single car garage at the condo and I'll have to park it a couple blocks away in public parking.

Choice 2 is my 2011 5.0 with the 6M, Airaid CAI, BAMA tune and Roush AB's. I'd love to open her up on the drive and give her some road time (garage queen). But then there's the issue of limited room in the rear for the kids, one 7 and one 10. Also need to use 91 octane fuel for the tune. I also wonder about loading the trunk with what we'll take. It's not lowered, yet, but wonder the weight of 4 passangers and everything we stuff in the trunk for the trip will have on the suspension.

Option 3 is the same as 2 except it's the wife's base Kona blue 2011 V6. 6A, No mods on it, it's a lease, so 87 octane fuel. Missing the upgrades of my 401a premium package. Same issues with suspension questions but much better fuel economy.

Either car would obviously be easier to get around in with all the beach traffic and would allow us to use the garage in the condo. But could be limited on what we bring with us. It's a a single car garage build under the condo. Two unit building. Alley way to access the garage looks about as wide as a single lane street. The truck would be a nice drive with extra room but the possibility of not being able to use the garage worries me. Although guess if it gets stolen in the public parking area that gives me an excuse to upgrade to a Raptor lol.

So who has made a 6 hour family trip in the stang and how was it? Anyone familiar with the traffic / parking issues in the mission beach area feel free to chime in.
In my experience with a 6yr old and a 13yr old... 3 hours was pushing it on comfort in the smaller cabin ('11 GT). Around 2 hours or so was fine, but getting closer to the 3 hour mark on a road trip we made was getting taxing on attention spans and the kids lacking leg room as the front seats had to stay back since I was driving (6'1) and the ole lady has long legs for a gal (5'10). 6 yr old was behind her seat in a booster, and as the trip wore on his little feet got restless and kept banging her seat (he is normally fantastic for short trips on watching his feet). The 13 yr old is tall as well for her age and her legs started to get a little cramped not able to move too much with my seat pushed back.

The positive note of this truck got me the negotiating point (and her buy in) to pick up a truck next year for family trips when we don't take her car.

If it were me and you really wanted to do it with one of the mustangs.... plan to leave very early for when you hope to arrive, and make it a very chill cruise where you can stop multiple times for folks to stretch their legs, lose the twitchy feelings for a few minutes. Hindsight being 20/20, that is what I would have done... made a couple extra stops to get some air.

With that said, it was surprisingly more comfortable than I would have expected. Good luck!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah, about what I figured. I know the truck is the better option. Just wishful thinking someone would come back with a "it was a great trip, no issues, do it" response. lol

It does give me the excuse to get the bed cover for the truck though Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I also have the same problem,upcoming road trip about 1500 miles round trip.me my wife and very furry dog,1Grabber Blue 5.0 2 Dodge Nitro or 3the wifes new 2012 Hyundia Elantra.i know it would be so much cooler to take the Stang,The Nitro all ready done it,The Hyundia might not look as cool but they do get 40mpg and up on the highway and i dont got to worry about dog hairs and sand in the Stang.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011
PONY Member

Just a couple weeks ago I had to make the same decision. Wife, two dogs, and a lot of crap went to NY and back (1500 miles round trip) and we ended up taking my Z71 ext. cab.

You have quite the expensive stable, so I'm sure gas $ isn't an issue, I'd deal with the extra hassles of the truck and take that. If the condo has a garage, shouldn't it at least have a spot in front of it to park if the truck won't fit in the garage?

1965 Ford Mustang
2011 Mustang Kona Blue Premium V6 Pony Package
1967 Chevrolet C-10
1967 Pontiac Firebird
2000 Chevrolet Z71
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011
PONY Member

I just finished a 2k mile road trip to Ohio. Me (6'0" and 240lbs), my large friend (300lbs at 5'11"), and about 400lbs of gear between the trunk and back seat. The ride was really smooth the entire trip...The car handled beautifully through the mountains in WV (That was fun taking those curves at 80+mph). The trunk had plenty of room for two large suitcases, a duffle bag full of crap, a plastic crate full of soda/water, a large backpack full of additional crap, my SCT/BAMA tuner box, and there was still room for more crap.

The biggest thing that may ultimately trouble you is the rear leg room. The kids can bring things to keep them occupied; they just won't be able to move around a while lot and wll get restless. I agree with Wolfman when he said to plan on making frequent stops to stretch your legs if you do decide to take either stang.

2011 3.7 V6 Premium, Black on Black Pony Package, Comfort Package, Security Package, Airaid CAI, BAMA 93H, 2.73 gears, SVT Strut Tower Brace, Llumar Window tint
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011
Apprentice

I cant say much about a 6 hour trip but we did recently take a 4 hour trip in my Stang. The back seat was big enough. We just stopped at the halfway point for some lunch to split up the trip and everyone was fine. The trunk had plenty of room for our stuff, but I tend to pack light. As far as Mission Beac, I have been there plenty of times and parking sucks!!! Its totally up to you but I would take the car.

2011 GT 5.0, Sterling Grey, Coupe, MT-82 Manual 6-speed Transmission, 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End, GT Brembo Brake Performance Package w/19" dark wheels, Hood Scoop, Pedestal Spoiler, HID headlamps, Security Package, All Black Leather Interior, Side Body Scoops, Shaker 500 Stereo System, Roush Axle-Backs, Barton Shifter Bracket and shift ball, SCT 91 performance tune.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011
PONY Member

Well, I only have one son (10yr old) He sits behind the wife for more leg room, but I have had his friends in the car and they fit (albeit tight) behind me in my normal driving position.

When I picked up my 2011 vert in Lake Worth, Fl, I drove 650 miles down from ATL in my 06 Roush and back home in the 2011 Roush Stage 2 vert.. in one day! Yep 1300 miles! No complaints from either of them, except the obvious! My wife even says the 11 vert was quieter than the 06! My son enjoyed hours of electronics with a few beaks for reading his books and could have gone longer.
I have great wife and son for doing this!

Since then we have taken a few trips (all in excess of 600 miles one way) in the 11 and we have found ways to pack less and still take everything we need. Makes it easier to load when you have less crap to take too!

BTW, we have a 2011 Ford Edge we bought for traveling, but the 2011 gets better mileage on the highway and is much more fun to drive and show off!

2011 Roush Stage 2 Convertible Race Red with painted gloss black stripes, Charcoal Interior-Roush # 11-0306
Bama Tuned, Roush Front and Rear Brake Kit, Roush Exhaust with Square tips, 20" wheels, Roush seating with Red stitching
Roush Billet Grille matching lower 3 piece, Matte Black side and top stripes, White Face Gauge cluster, Convertible Light Bar Purchased 27Dec2010
Dyno'd 401 HP/ 390 Ft lbs at the wheels
MACH I Member

Honestly, ask the kids.

If they say Mustang, they would be mord hesitant to complain since it was their choice. If they say the truck and you took the car, it would be hours of hell.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member

Send the wife and kids in the truck, take your car

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
Haha. Now that's an idea!

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
Talk about the perfect trip. Although once I'm there sleeping on the couch might get old.

There is no parking outside the garage. The garage is basically off an alley.

I'm leaning towards taking the truck but I will be asking the kids. I like that idea. Thanks for all the responses. Now just have to wait till August 3rd to get on the road. :laughlitt
PONY Member

I'd take the kona six popper gas sipper leased car. Keep the 5.0 in the garage and save wear and tear on the truck. As stated earlier, just take your time and stop a few times so the kids can stretch their legs and you should have a great time. San Diego is a great vacation spot. I have a sister in Escondido and there's alot going on around there. Just watch out for the Road Runners!

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page