My 2012 GTCS's fuel economy is sooo bad =( seeking help! - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

My 2012 GTCS's fuel economy is sooo bad =( seeking help!

Dear all,

I have been driving my mustang gt cs (2012) for about 3 months and the fuel consumption has really taken a toll on my purse...I find myself filling gas every 5 days and I don't even drive that much.

The car is manual so unless I am doing something terribly wrong, the car is just not very fuel economical.

I live in Canada so we use km/L here, my car's fuel economy is like 6.25km/L which is equivalent to about 14.69 miles/gallon...

I do not drive like a maniac so I wonder why the actual number is so different from the number that ford advertises.

Does anyone have similar problems with their 5.0 ???

I don't think I can afford this car anymore lol....I totally thought it was ok when I saw the window sticker and stuff...the fuel economy seemed fine on paper =(

Any feedback or suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011
Rookie

Does something feel wrong with the engine? Are you using the right grade of gasoline?

I always use 93 octane, and my average right now is 20.1mpg. And I'm no light foot. I do care for the car religiously and drive like a grandpa unless the situation calls for otherwise. And I'm not much of a speeder... until the situation calls for otherwise .

Just try keeping your RPMs low, that's what it's all about. Without bogging the engine anyway.

2011 GT 6MT
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011
PONY Member

i drive a v6. but i believe it all depends on how you drive, you may be riding to high in your rpms, or all those launches at stop lights add up and drain your gas. i always ride in as high as gear as possible without the engine wanting to sputter or bogg.

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011
MACH I Member

My fuel economy started off really bad when I first got mine too, but when it starts to break in you will see the efficiency increase a bit. Be sure to follow the manual with the break-in recommendations.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

I've got an auto, and if I'm remembering correctly, the average mpg is 19.6 right now.

2011 GT Sterling Grey Premium w/ Stone Leather Interior
Automatic; HID Headlamps
19" Wheels w/ Strut Tower Brace
Comfort Package, Security Package
Rear View Camera, Sound System Upgrades
Magnaflow Catback - now with Resonators!

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011
Apprentice

Mine averaged 14mpg city before it hit 1000miles.

After 1k miles, I averaged about 17-19mpg city.

Take time with the break in. MPG will get better.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
Does something feel wrong with the engine? Are you using the right grade of gasoline?

I always use 93 octane, and my average right now is 20.1mpg. And I'm no light foot. I do care for the car religiously and drive like a grandpa unless the situation calls for otherwise. And I'm not much of a speeder... until the situation calls for otherwise .

Just try keeping your RPMs low, that's what it's all about. Without bogging the engine anyway.
I don't feel anything is wrong, I am not really sure because I am not an expert in car mechanics. I use 91 gasoline which should be good enough for mustang gt...my dealer even told me that it works with 87 lol.

I keep my RPM pretty low, I rarely break 3000 RPM, it's usually around 2k rpm. AHHHHHHH what's going on =(
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkoo View Post
Mine averaged 14mpg city before it hit 1000miles.

After 1k miles, I averaged about 17-19mpg city.

Take time with the break in. MPG will get better.
It's already past 1k miles =(
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011
PONY Member

ease up on the GO paddle and things will get a little better but no one has ever accused a v8 mustang of being very fuel efficient.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaholland View Post
ease up on the GO paddle and things will get a little better but no one has ever accused a v8 mustang of being very fuel efficient.
Not asking it to be fuel efficient but at least I thought the fuel economy should match...I mean the number claimed by ford compare to the number produced from actual driving.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

We use L/100km not km/L... I have 3.73's and am very heavy on the skinny pedal ( im 22, cut me some slack) i avg about 15L/100km which is aroun 16mpg ( city driving#). If you check your display and it is higher than that, then you have a problem. Between squamish and kamloops i get 10L/100km wiich is 23.5mpg ( pure highway driving #). Hope this helps

2011 Ingot silver GT Premium , 6M, Brembos, HID, 3.73, Shaker 1000, Security package, Magnaflow competition series catback and off road xpipe and a Diablosport trinity canned tune... 391rwhp 362ft/lb
PONY Member

Worst I've been has been 18 L/ 100 (driving aggressively). Best has been 10 L /100 (on the highway). I'm usually around 14 L/ 100. I also have 3.73 gears in a 6-speed manual. I use 87 octane.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Apprentice
5.0L Member

My worst was 28... I got from squamish to horseshoe bay in 12 mins
:smilie op will know that distance and usual time as we are from same area

2011 Ingot silver GT Premium , 6M, Brembos, HID, 3.73, Shaker 1000, Security package, Magnaflow competition series catback and off road xpipe and a Diablosport trinity canned tune... 391rwhp 362ft/lb
PONY Member

I avg 18mpg. 3500 miles with a performance tune.

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Crazy001
To the OP: What is your driving like? Mostly city? Highway?

If you have lots of stop-and-go your fuel economy will SUCK! My driving is almost exclusively rural highways, and I've had great fuel economy out of my 2011 GT!

2011 Mustang GT Premium,

Gone, but not forgotten:

2005 Mustang V6 Premium, traded 3/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page