buying used '11 GT, what to look for - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question buying used '11 GT, what to look for

keep in mind this will be my first test drive on the new mustang, and i don't know if the seller will want to be in the car with me or not.

i seen this guy driving one time, the only 11+ gt in town, so me being in the market, keeps a keeeeeeeen eye.

2011 mustang gt 5.0

its been on the market for atleast a month, these kind of sales go pretty slow around here. he was originally askin like 36,xxx

I live in a isolated (sadly the capital) city in Alaska, no roads in or out. and our local ford dealership caved in due to bad management. so buying a mustang new would require barging/ferrying it in either way. just a matter of from where, and could be as much as 1200 dollars straight from seattle. so buying locally would be awesome, and this seems like a good jump. it has what i wanted on it, plus more then i care for. all i really wanted was just 3.73 gears, and preferred hids, and i really want SG but i could settle for red.

anything i should do during a test drive? it has 1300 miles if you didn't follow the link, with the manual. i have done my research about the tranny, and engine tick. and hopefully it will be a somewhat chilly day when i test drive so i can see if it is suffering from the engine tick on a cold start.

any recommendations on how to test if the tranny is having issues like the claims? i haven't driving a new one so i have nothing to compare it too, i currently drive a manual 00 Focus, but the person i bought it from put a "new clutch" in it, and i think he just did a half ass job cause it is really notchy, by no means unbearable, but it just clunks into gear and just is not smooth. i so i think anything would be better then what i got now.

i kinda like the idea of buying slightly used, as then i don't have to exactly worry about the first oil change and if the engine tick will show up, because assuming (i will ask ofcourse) he has done it, the odds of it happening now vs not happening at all would happen after the first oil change.. so i've noticed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

I bought a car in Boston and drove it back to Tampa(bought a one way ticket up), so if you kinda let your purchase include a road trip it's a fun way to "get to know your car", obviously you have the CA/ west coast area to reasonably shop and drive home from, it would be cool if you bought it in Cali and drove PCH and napa valley in your new 5.0...good luck

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You should go test drive some at a dealership first so you know what it should look/feel like.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My advice is forget what you've heard about the new GT's and just drive it and decide if it's what you want.I love mine and have had so many compliments I'm quite proud driving it.It's lived up to and exceeded my expectations.Awesome ride!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

well let me rephrase this..... i'm not worried about the transmission, or the engine tick, i know the odds are in my favor about having the issues. but if this vehicle does have the issues, i would like to know any pointers to spot them.

i wont be able to test drive a brand new one off the lot until POSSIBLY, the end of august, if i can get a ride from some of my girlfriends family into town for a day.

driving it home sounds like it would be a blast, but the ALCAN that drives through canada to the town closest to mine so i can ferry it from there is NASTY. i have to drive on it but i've heard some bad horror stories and i would rather not drive behind semis on miles of dirt and gravel roads, rough, rooty, pothole infested asphalt there is.

dont get me wrong this is gonna be no princess, but i would like it to be in presentable condition when it gets home
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

I bought a used '11 GT here locally, I did ask the seller not to fire it up until I got there, so I could listen for any of the cold noises. Other than than, look for paint and upholstery issues, and that's about it.

Question: If there's no Ford dealer in Juneau, where do you take it for warranty work, and who pays to get it there?

2011 GT Sterling Grey Premium w/ Stone Leather Interior
Automatic; HID Headlamps
19" Wheels w/ Strut Tower Brace
Comfort Package, Security Package
Rear View Camera, Sound System Upgrades
Magnaflow Catback - now with Resonators!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011
2006GTfan

Another I would look at is the tires to make sure the previous owner didn't roast it.

I'm always leary buying a used sports car because I'm worried about how the previous owner treated it. I certainly wouldn't buy a used car with a super charger on it.

That's why I'm glad I bought my first new car in my life today!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Only 1,300 miles? I doubt the first oil change has been done. Looks like you did your homework. Enjoy the ride. I almost died laughing when I heard the guy post you should buy one in CA and drive it home. I guess they don't understand Alaska and the inability to get anywhere without a plane.

I spent a couple of years in your town in the 80's when I was in the Coast Guard. Not exactly a lot of places to drive it. LOL

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mach1 EH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likabatoutahell View Post
My advice is forget what you've heard about the new GT's and just drive it and decide if it's what you want.I love mine and have had so many compliments I'm quite proud driving it.It's lived up to and exceeded my expectations.Awesome ride!!
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2003 Mach1 DSG (1of1595) IUP, 5 sp, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003
2012 Shelby GT500 - performance white. SVT Performance Pack, navigation, Borla
2006 BMW 530XI (my new to me; DD)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
I spent a couple of years in your town in the 80's when I was in the Coast Guard. Not exactly a lot of places to drive it. LOL
man aint that the truth!! but i don't plan on staying here for much longer then a year or two, so i would be bringing it with me soon enough.

i tried calling the seller but he didn't answer and hasn't called back yet, i think he works out at the mines but i will try again tomorrow. i honestly have no idea if the oil has been changed, or if he even knows about the possible issues. i'm more curious at to why he is selling, he originally started at 37,xxx and now its down to 33,900 so he seems kinda desperate
GT Member

Save 4k come to Colorado and buy mine for 32K…
Adders are in the signature below… I still have all original parts removed in boxes, other than the factory cats… they got lost somewhere…
Bring 10k cash for test drive deposit with me in the car, if you want to drive it with you only… leave a 32k cash deposit and I will even give you the title when you first drive it by yourself…

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

a one way ticket there is over 1000$ plus gas to drive it up and 300 on the ferry at teh closest spot, or i could drive it to seattle and put it on the barge for 1200, then spend 600-800 for a ticket back home. unless i plan on coming down in 3+ months then i could maybe get a ticket there for 4-500 and the ticket back would be about 255 outta seattle.

but you aren't gonna wanna wait 3+ months, let alone i don't have 10g cash on me, i would have to not go to school this year (cause i'm paying for it all outta pocket, trying to stay outta loans) and get a second job to have 10g down in a 3 months.

actually i probably could get to like 6 maybe 7g's in 3 months depending on the job of course
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Step one buy a termi instead... Car is cheaper, parts are cheaper, and imo it looks better, also dosen't have any of the 2011+ problems... If i had found a coupe when my mazda crapped out, i would have one instead

2011 Ingot silver GT Premium , 6M, Brembos, HID, 3.73, Shaker 1000, Security package, Magnaflow competition series catback and off road xpipe and a Diablosport trinity canned tune... 391rwhp 362ft/lb
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Looks like the price dropped some more. I just looked at the Google map of Juneau and there does not seem to be more than 25 miles of road there. I'll bet there is not a huge demand for that car either and the seller might even need to pay to ship it out someplace just so he can sell it. You could offer another 2G less than what he's asking and maybe get yourself "a deal". That car is depreciating fast. I would also guess you would have a hard time selling it later on too since most buyers would likely be looking for a nice 4x4.

I lived in Anchorage for several years and drove two different Mustangs up and down the Alcan. Considering too that the weather will only allow maybe 4 or 5 months in the Summer, and there is no dealer to service that car, you are getting a very expensive toy. You only live once sure but choose your financial investments wisely. The best deal is when you can remove your emotions and be able to walk away.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i forgot to answer the warrenty question earlier, there are 2 shops in town that are ford warranty certified and does all of fords warranty work. so that is not a problem, i work at Napa and i deliver and talk to both shops every day, i have already had plenty of convos with either about any issues i might run into with warranty if anything is wrong and they said that to there amazement ford has been very cooperative with Juneau and the lack of dealership and has treated pretty much everyone fairly up here.. to my amazement too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page