2012 Race Red Mustang - how to best protect paint? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 Race Red Mustang - how to best protect paint?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2012 Race Red Mustang (v6 manual) and was wondering how best to protect the paint on my car. It will be my daily driver, and will not be garaged at all. In fact, it'll even be parked under a tree most of the time (no choice really).

So, I've been looking at different waxes and sealants and was wondering what you all would suggest. I was considering Zaino products - but then asking around a bit I started to hear that they are great for aesthetics, but not for long-term durability and protection.

Chances are I will only be waxing it about once a month tops - especially if the process is as time consuming as the Zaino seems to be.

Then I stumbled upon Ultima Paint Guard Plus, and it seems like it's probably a much better fit for me (longer lasting protection for what it seems, and significantly easier application process). With this, though, I hear it is actually pretty difficult to get a non-streaky finish.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

Wolfgang products are pretty awesome, I used the Paint Sealant after just using some Turtle Wax and its still beading water a month later.

2012 V6 Premium 6MT|Kona Blue|Performance Package|Comfort|201A Rapid Spec
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
Apprentice

I have a Race Red 2011 GT, and look forward to hearing the responses. Although mine is garaged at night, and during the day it's boiling in the hot sun, but never park it under a tree.

2011 Mustang GT Premium - MT - Rapid Spec 401A - Race Red / Black w/white stripe leather int

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I have a race red 2012. I use liquid glass. Have about 20 coats on it so far. It is mirror smooth to the touch and look. the other day in a rainstorm, the water just ran right off. I get a lot of looks everytime I take my car out. I went past a new race red Mustang on a dealers lot last week the paint doesnt look anywherte near as bright as mine. Thr only drawback to using liquid glass is you have to be very careful around the black moldings , it is very hard to get it off them.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

If you have a tape stripe, how does it handle the Liquid Glass? Or are you careful not to go over them?

Thanks!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I don't have any tape stripes so I don't know how well it will come off.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virance View Post
I was considering Zaino products - but then asking around a bit I started to hear that they are great for aesthetics, but not for long-term durability and protection.
I used the Zaino system for years on all my cars. Its almost the opposite. The stuff is tough as nails but it is NOT really great for looks. It's not bad but there are lots of products that are better.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virance View Post
If you have a tape stripe, how does it handle the Liquid Glass? Or are you careful not to go over them?
I've read posts about people messing up their vinyl with Liquid Glass (and many other products).

Blackfire Wet Diamond sealer is excellent and does not stain anything. I even use it on the factory side stripes.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
I used the Zaino system for years on all my cars. Its almost the opposite. The stuff is tough as nails but it is NOT really great for looks. It's not bad but there are lots of products that are better.
I actually ended up buying Zaino earlier today - figured I would try it for my first waxing. If I don't like it I'll toss something else on before winter hits.
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Im in the same boat as you virance. I do not think there is a sure fire way to 100% keep you car from getting scratched unless you only drive it limited. You are going to have to accept that you will at least get a chip or two. I have three chips on my hood. Only one is really noticeable. My front bumper is doing fine so far

I wash my car about every week with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner and wax my car about once a month with Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell (I do not think this is the best wax; just trying it for the time being; works OK). I love the Meguair's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner. Very, very nice car wash!

I also just bought a front bra for my car mostly for when I autocross, so if I do hit a cone, it shouldnt do anything and also to reduce the chance of chips from gravel in the lots. I figure I can throw on the bra if I am going to go on a road trip or something too.

I drive 35 miles on the highway to work and 35 miles back 5 days a week and drive my car in the city on the weekends.

2012 Ingot Silver Mustang - 3.7L V6, Performance Package (traded)
2012 HP White Mustang GT - 5.0L, Premium, 3.73 rear end
MACH I Member

While I don't have a red car this time, I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. The first step I always take with a new car (after a good wash), or a car that needs a really new look again, is to clay the surface and get rid of any contaminants:

‪Claybar Dirt.MP4‬‏ - YouTube

The next step that I take, with a new car, is to put a good sealant over the entire surface. Especially for those of us who use our cars as daily drivers. For my new Stang I used Wolfgangs sealant. However, there are lots of very good products on the market. Products I've used in the past and really like are Wolfgangs, Zaino, and Pinnacle. I'm partial to Wolfgangs because of the protection, but all three are very similar IMO.

I'm also very impressed with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner as Mountain stated. Not only does it wash easily, it smells good to me as well.

If you already have swirls or minor scuff marks then I recommend a good clay, then polish, then sealant. You also have to keep in mind how you wash the car and what you are using to wipe it with and what directions. Usually circular motions are a no-no with me. I also only use very good micro-fiber towels to wash, dry and to buff with. If it's dirty...I get a clean one etc.

Sorry...not a rant, but close...

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page