2011 v6 ideas? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2011 v6 ideas?

Hey guys, I as of now have a 99 mustang v6 and planning on buying a 2011. I just can not decide between the GT or v6 because i do plan on modding. So if any of you could tell me just about how much horsepower i could get out of about say 10 grand with a v6 would be real nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011
Apprentice

412 factory because by the time you spend the money you'll want the GT

2014 GT Premium Coupe, Brembo, Deep Impact Blue
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

For $10K you can get a Pro-Charger setup on the V6 with more HP and TQ than the 5.0 comes with in stock form. You'll also have enough left over to tweak the suspension for more bite. Lookup the forum member called WRXIFIED. He can fill you in (he has that setup). I doubt he regrets it.

OTOH, if you want MASSIVE TQ and HP, Pro-Charge a 5.0. We have a member here pushing 738 RWHP. Sorry, but I don't remember his forum name.

Depends on what your long-term goals are.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
For $10K you can get a Pro-Charger setup on the V6 with more HP and TQ than the 5.0 comes with in stock form.
ProCharger Kits for the 2011 3.7L V6 Mustang

I'd consider this myself once my warranty runs its course. Either that, or if I'm feeling insane enough and have the cash, I may take out the 3.7 and drop in the 5.0. It would be pretty interesting to potentially have the only 2012 MCA with the coyote in it

2012 Kona Blue V6 Premium MCA, stone interior, AT, electronics package, rear camera, reverse sensing & security, HID, 3.31

Ordered: 4/11/2011 | VIN: 5/26 | Window sticker: 6/7 | Build date: 6/13 | ETA: 1st-6/24 2nd-6/29 | Arrived at dealer: 6/24 | Took delivery: 6/27

Mods: BAMA 87P Tune, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, GT500 Diffuser, Shelby Kicker Sub, Painted Mirror Covers, Adjustable Headrests
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011
Apprentice

I am having the same debate myself. Besides the ultimate question of how fast do you wanna go? There are other things to consider as well.

Exterior
Personally I like the V6 exterior design more.

Interior
The GT can be ordered with 401A Trim, nicer interior.

Brembo Brake
Only available on the GT

Handling
With lighter weight up front, the V6 can be made to handle better. Even with a supercharger installed, the V6 shouldn't handle worse than the V8.

Power
A supercharged V6 will put down more power than a stock 5.0 V8. If you can be happy with around 500hp, a supercharged V6 is a good choice. If you eventually want 550hp+ then go with the V8.

Keep in mind that traction will slowly become an issue with more power. I also don't have a lot of faith with the MT-82 gearbox. The supercharged V6 could potentially be more fuel efficient than the V8, would love to see some real world numbers on that.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for all you inputs. I am not buying the car itself so i am not worried about that money their (gotta love parents haha) but i would like to go somewhere in the range of 600 to 650hp so looks like the gt wins!

wish the gt got the same fuel economy though
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999yellowV6 View Post
thanks for all you inputs. I am not buying the car itself so i am not worried about that money their (gotta love parents haha) but i would like to go somewhere in the range of 600 to 650hp so looks like the gt wins!

wish the gt got the same fuel economy though
Just because you mentioned that your parents will be buying the car. May I ask how much experience do you have with high performance cars? By the way, I am not judging at all. My parents got me my first car and I would do the same for my kids.

But seriously forget about 600hp, even 500hp is plenty to get you into trouble. If you are not accustomed to that level of power or don't quite have the self-restrain to not abuse it on the street. Maybe the V6 is a better choice. With the performance package, it is a great AutoX car stock. Slap on a supercharger when you are ready, you will be pulling away from a stock GT. Plus if you ever need some extra cash, you can probably sell the supercharger for 2-3 grand use and end up with a V6 mustang with great mileage. Something to think about.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5.0 View Post
Just because you mentioned that your parents will be buying the car. May I ask how much experience do you have with high performance cars? By the way, I am not judging at all. My parents got me my first car and I would do the same for my kids.

But seriously forget about 600hp, even 500hp is plenty to get you into trouble. If you are not accustomed to that level of power or don't quite have the self-restrain to not abuse it on the street. Maybe the V6 is a better choice. With the performance package, it is a great AutoX car stock. Slap on a supercharger when you are ready, you will be pulling away from a stock GT. Plus if you ever need some extra cash, you can probably sell the supercharger for 2-3 grand use and end up with a V6 mustang with great mileage. Something to think about.
This is very sound advice. There is plenty of power in a stock 3.7, if you keep that motor spinning in the powerband with your foot on the floor for any length of time, you will be going very VERY fast! Learn to master what the 3.7 has to offer and you will moving in very fast company.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011
GT Member

i have the new v6, very happy with it.... as far as mods go: borla s type CATBACK, Airaid cold air kit, Ford Racing 3.73 gears and a one piece aluminum driveshaft...strut tower brace and engine cover..... those are the mods i have... still waiting on the exhaust though.... but in my opinion the car is a finished product now... i will not be doing any additional mods other than some slight cosmetic enhancements...i mean what else is there to do, unless its a procharger kit.... and that im not thinking about

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
MACH I Member

If you like modding, the Mustang is 100% the car for you. Parts come relatively cheap and extremely easy to install.

Both the V6 and V8 are impressive in their own way. For $30k-$35k you will arrive at about the same HP with performance upgrades, whether it be the V6 or V8. The biggest difference is that with the $30k ish money you would have either a voided warranty on the V6 or a bone stock v8 full warranty (until it's modded).

With all the troubles some people are having with the transmission, giving up the 60k mile warranty for a few performance upgrades may not be the brightest idea. But then again, the transmission problem only seems to be popping up in a small %, so it would be 'at your own risk'.

However, if you are buying used. The GT holds its value better than the V6, unless you get a killer good price on a used V6.

One more important note: A lot of people are having problems with damage to cylinder 8 (you guessed it, in the GT) with a tune. There have been no complaints on the board about tuning the V6.

==========

I do autocross and I would much rather run the V6 PP than the GT. The grip is better in the V6 PP than any of the stock GT models (weird, huh?), and I am running in G-Stock rather than F-Stock, with a better handling car.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

GT5.0 i have driven my grandpas 2011 corvette zr1 everyday (weather permitting) since he got it back in march. I have had my license since last august and I have driven that corvette a lot, his 63 split coupe corvette, and my uncles 77 Nova pushing 750hp at the wheels. and i plan on going to the track a bit and car shows because I literally live at shows during the summer and i just want to be able to be in the same field as them!
My family is all about our cars if you haven't noticed haha!
Apprentice

Uh huh, says Capo.

2014 GT Premium Coupe, Brembo, Deep Impact Blue
PONY Member

Get the 5.0 if money is not an issue...

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

konabluev6 im just worried about the gas mileage!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konabluev6 View Post
Get the 5.0 if money is not an issue...
+1, and I will add this: I'd rather have a stock GT than a mod V6, why? Cause mods you can always do them no matter which one you chose, and think about this, since the money doesn't seems to be an issue; would you really like to spend the amount of a loaded GT into a V6? I won't, like I won't spend the amount of a GT500 into a GT, might as well have the GT500.
Just a few thoughts, now it's your call...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page