Electronics Package People.....Map updates? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Electronics Package People.....Map updates?

When should we expect to see some sort of update for our navigation map?

There are roads that have been built/changed around me almost a year ago. So sometimes I have to check the route it gives me and do my own work around since the maps are outdated.

I can just use my phone for navigation to avoid this, but whats the point of having navigation in our cars if I'm not going to use it.

I wish they would just use Google maps. Give the car a the capability to connect to a wifi network to update the map.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

When you select the Destination button it will present you with the "pay attention to the road, blah blah blah" prompt where you have to hit accept. There's also an order info button on that prompt screen which will give you contact information to get map updates. I don't know how much the updates cost, but I'm pretty sure they're not free.

2012 Kona Blue V6 Premium MCA, stone interior, AT, electronics package, rear camera, reverse sensing & security, HID, 3.31

Ordered: 4/11/2011 | VIN: 5/26 | Window sticker: 6/7 | Build date: 6/13 | ETA: 1st-6/24 2nd-6/29 | Arrived at dealer: 6/24 | Took delivery: 6/27

Mods: BAMA 87P Tune, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, GT500 Diffuser, Shelby Kicker Sub, Painted Mirror Covers, Adjustable Headrests
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
GT Member

When my hood was under rapid development it took a long time for all the new roads to make it into the right databases.

It was even worse when old maps showed roads that had been removed. I saw more than one UPS driver staring down an abandoned road, wonder WTF to do now.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings View Post
When should we expect to see some sort of update for our navigation map?

There are roads that have been built/changed around me almost a year ago. So sometimes I have to check the route it gives me and do my own work around since the maps are outdated.

I can just use my phone for navigation to avoid this, but whats the point of having navigation in our cars if I'm not going to use it.

I wish they would just use Google maps. Give the car a the capability to connect to a wifi network to update the map.
SYNC | Change Songs, Make Phone Calls, Get Directions - All Using Your Voice | Ford.com has downloadable updates when they become available that you can load on a memory stick and load into the system. I think that's how the map updates are done.

I'm tired of shows about vampires. I want to see killer umpires!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot_Trainer View Post
SYNC | Change Songs, Make Phone Calls, Get Directions - All Using Your Voice | Ford.com has downloadable updates when they become available that you can load on a memory stick and load into the system. I think that's how the map updates are done.
I think the map updates are sold as DVDs.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajones View Post
I think the map updates are sold as DVDs.
I believe this is correct.

2012 Kona Blue V6 Premium MCA, stone interior, AT, electronics package, rear camera, reverse sensing & security, HID, 3.31

Ordered: 4/11/2011 | VIN: 5/26 | Window sticker: 6/7 | Build date: 6/13 | ETA: 1st-6/24 2nd-6/29 | Arrived at dealer: 6/24 | Took delivery: 6/27

Mods: BAMA 87P Tune, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, GT500 Diffuser, Shelby Kicker Sub, Painted Mirror Covers, Adjustable Headrests
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
PONY Member

The maps seem to be ok on the 2012 but the POI data is way old. I rarely have issues finding POI on my portable gps but in the car they just don't exist. It must be over 5 years old.

I see all the new my ford touch nav has 3d maps now, so maybe there will be an update soon.

2012 GT Grabber Blue Vert, 6MT
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice

Update DVDs are available at Navteq.com - or at least, will become available in the future. Still waiting for a 2011 update.

In my left brain there's nothing right, and in my right brain there's nothing left.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Official Ford Rep

Hi everyone! I'm Jaclyn from the In-Vehicle Technology Team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossWhisperer65 View Post
Update DVDs are available at Navteq.com - or at least, will become available in the future. Still waiting for a 2011 update.
HossWhisperer65 is correct! The map updates come from a third party company, Navteq.

No updates are currently available for 2011 models. You currently have the latest version. Once this is released I will post to let everyone know.

Navteq can be contacted at 888-628-6277 or online:

NAVTEQ Maps

~Jaclyn

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I just did a quick search on a '07 Ford Edge to see what the price of the map update is at Navteq:

NAVTEQ Direct Price: $ 199.00

:kooky:

That is WRONG. $200 for an updated map? Something google provides us for free. What a joke.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I just did a quick search on a '07 Ford Edge to see what the price of the map update is at Navteq:

That is WRONG. $200 for an updated map? Something google provides us for free. What a joke.
Unfortunately it was about the same when I updated the navi disc in my 2004 TL, and that's why I only updated it once in seven years.

LH

LH
Ordered 6/11/2011, VIN received 7/14, window sticker received 7/26, scheduled build day 8/1, shipped 8/2, picked up 8/24:
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium convertible/MT82 6 spd.
Grabber Blue/Charcoal black/blue accents
401A, Reverse sensing/security, Electronics and GT convertible accessory 6 packages.
Ford Racing GT500 mufflers
Official Ford Rep

We recognize the price difference and have been working with Navteq to make the updates more affordable. Hopefully this will be a reality soon!

I'll be sure to keep you all informed.

~Jaclyn

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 07-29-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: grammer
Apprentice

Thanks for the update and I encourage Navteq to pay attention. While I like the convenience of operation, the integration and the larger screens of the factory nav systems, the cost of updating is ridiculous. I too have only updated the maps in my 2005 Audi once because the price is so ridiculous. If this continues, this may be my last manufacturers nav system.

It also seems like they have to keep the maps current for new systems and the money they get from the updates would be a good stream of income to supplement this work if the prices were reasonable. At the current prices, I will not update regularly.

2011 GT Prem 401A Convertible - Sterling Grey, Red Interior, Manual, Elect/Comfort/HID/Sec

Last edited by MKPony; 07-29-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Additional Point
PONY Member

Quote:

It is SO wrong, and to put it in perspective, consider this: last weekend I purchased a new Garmin nuvi with the 5" screen. As part of the packiage it came with free lifetime updates to the maps and the traffic broadcast service. (Map updates at least 4 times per year...) I paid $169.00 on sale at Best Buy, for the whole package. Just sayin...

PS Same maps from Navteq also

Last edited by Storm75; 07-29-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added PS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page