Base Model - 5x7, 6x8, or 6.5" speaker replacement? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Base Model - 5x7, 6x8, or 6.5" speaker replacement?

Does anybody know if 6.5" coaxial speakers will fit in our base model 2011 Mustangs?

I believe the stock speakers in my base model 2011 GT are 6 x 8. There are limited options for aftermarket coaxials in this size, so I'm looking to see if 6.5" speakers will fit. I know 5 x 7s will, but I'm afraid that dropping down from the roughly ~1 inch extra area in a 6 x 8 will decrease the lower end output of the speaker. I won't be getting a subwoofer, or a separate amp, or an aftermarket head unit - just a speaker replacement, so I need to find ones with some good low end. Collective internet audio knowledge suggests 6.5" (round) speakers will have the best SQ, all other things equal.

I'm thinking of Image Dynamics coaxials (used to have an IDQ subwoofer from them - most incredible sound quality for the money I've ever heard), or perhaps the Polk MM series. I'm wanting an upgrade that's worth the money, but want to retain the somewhat bass-heavy attribute of the stock speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
PONY Member

i have the base head unit and 4 speakers. I installed a set of PIONEER TS-D6802 up front and this made a huge improvement on the overall sound quality. Those speaker don't lack bass either, in fact, i want to remove some of that low bass in the doors since i am installing a sub in the trunk. And those 6x8 have a full crossover built-in and are very nicely build too. Love them.

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page