Wife Says The GT Now Too Quiet ! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Wife Says The GT Now Too Quiet !

After 200 miles with the Roush a/b's I couldn't take the coarse, raspy sound . So last weekend I put back on the stockers . Now the little wifey says it's too quiet .Since finding the GT500 a/b's is like finding an honest politician I'm now looking at Borla .
So do I want the S model or do I want the Touring ? I've listened to the audio's on their website but would like to here comments from actual owners of these two a'b's .
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

That's a good wife! You better keep her!

I can tell you I did enjoy the deep tone that the flowmasters made that my car had on it when I bought it....but I had to have louder...

Hope someone is running Borla and can help ya out!

New-1989 LX 5.0
Bone stock
SOLD-1989 LX 5.0-White/rare tan interior!
303 cam. offroad x-pipe. SLP Loudmouth 1 resonators w/turndowns.Youtube- Michael89254
Awsome to have so many people on this forum so willing to help. A.K.A the guys that know their stuff to help you...
2004 Kia Optima- Only drive if Fox isn't running or in the winter.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I thought AM sells GT500 mufflers? And do you have the V6 or V8 Edit: sorry I am on my blackberry and didn't pay much attention to the title! Oops

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo172 View Post
I thought AM sells GT500 mufflers? And do you have the V6 or V8
It's a 5.0 and nobody in the country has GT500 a/b's in stock .
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael89254 View Post
That's a good wife! You better keep her!
LOL, the wife now want's Borla for her 2010 Toyota 4Runner !
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
Apprentice

There are a ton of YouTube videos featuring the Borla S-Type. The cat-backs are what I plan on getting. I love the sound they put out.

2011 Mustang GT/CS :: Performance White :: 6MT :: 3.73 gears :: Comfort Package :: 3M Carbon Fiber Tint 35% :: GT500 Splash Guards
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
MACH I Member

Exactly. Borla has done the best job at trying to convey how each of their axle-backs sound. Doubt you'll find anybody who has S-type & Touring models.

‪Borla Exhaust for the 2011 Mustang GT‬‏ - YouTube

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I had the opposite problem , wife said exhaust note too loud and she would not ride in the car again unless I made it quieter. Now it was wicked loud before , Roush o/r resonators only with long tubes and a cam so yea really really loud.So I changed to Steeda axel back system which I hear are made by Borla and now it sounds just like the you-tube clip for Borla posted above! The wife is OK with it too.

2005 Screaming Yellow GT Convertible -
Saleen Super Shaker Super Charger
Steeda Sport Springs,Pro Action struts and shocks,pan hard bar,upper strut mounts and Tri-Ax shifter ,Aluminum DS,FRPP 410 ,20" wheels
Custom 94 tune by Steeda.ca FRPP Hot Rod Cams,62mm throttle body,Kooks LT
482RWHP
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice

I would say the S type is going to be similar in loudness to the Roush. If your looking for something not quite so loud go touring. Borla is going to give you about the best exhaust money can buy for an axle back. Quality, power, tone and fitment are going to be second to none for the Borla set up. Based upon your post, I would recommend the Touring system. If it were me, I'd go with the ATACK system from Borla. lol. But then again I am running SLP Loudmouth on my 2011 GT.

Current: 2011 Mustang GT Premium 6 MT Race RED 401A SLP Loudmouth, BAMA 93-Race Tune

Sold: 2008 V6 Mustang, 2009 Mustang GT, 2010 Mustang GT
Rookie

I have the Borla S type axle back. They are a bit loud at start up but settle down at idle. Running through the gears or getting on it, they are pretty loud. At cruizing speeds they are mellow with virtually no droan. I like them a lot and have gotten several compliments. To me, the sound is pretty much perferct, but I could see where they could get obnoxious with an intermediate pipe or without cats. Quality and fit are excellent. Definately the best system I've ever had and worth the price.

On order: 2012 Gt Premium, M6, Performance White, 401A Charcoal/Grabber Blue, Brembo Package, 3.73, Electronics Package, Comfort Package.

Ordered 6/7, Build 6/28, ETA 7/20, Delivered 7/19
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 Nick View Post
After 200 miles with the Roush a/b's I couldn't take the coarse, raspy sound . So last weekend I put back on the stockers . Now the little wifey says it's too quiet .Since finding the GT500 a/b's is like finding an honest politician I'm now looking at Borla .
So do I want the S model or do I want the Touring ? I've listened to the audio's on their website but would like to here comments from actual owners of these two a'b's .
Thanks
The TOURING sounds like the GT500's and also the AMERICAN THUNDER.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

This video alone made up my mind...

‪2011 5.0 Mustang Flowmaster American Thunder Axleback‬‏ - YouTube

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'd wait for the GT500s to become available as they are the perfect compromise between stock and Roush....and I would know as I have had all three.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
PONY Member

Get the S-Types, they are perfect. I was worried about being too loud too and almost ordered the Touring. I figured ordering the S-Types I could easily re-sell them on one of the dozen or so Mustang forums.

Boy I'm glad I didn't get the Touring as the S-Types are perfect. Yeah, on cold start they do rumble a bit, but after 10-15s they are a pretty quiet burble. Driving around town normally, you'll hardly notice them over the radio at a normal windows down volume. Stand on the gas pedal and they will loudly announce to anyone around that you are there. At cruise between 60-80, you will not notice them.

They are indeed the perfect mufflers. Also, they are deeper in tone than any video on YouTube will have you believe.

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
I'd wait for the GT500s to become available as they are the perfect compromise between stock and Roush....and I would know as I have had all three.
+1000

I was in the same boat as you P51. Even though I loved the roush at first, they got old and drew too much unwanted attention. I knew I wanted the GT500's but had to sell mine first. Luckily I was able to trade mine for the GT500's.

As Timeless mentioned, they really are the perfect muffler. Couldn't be happier with them. Wait for the GT500's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page