6pd Shifter Recommendation for 2012 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

6pd Shifter Recommendation for 2012 GT

Hello,

I seached the threads but didn't find anything on this topic. What is a good short throw shifter for a 2012 Mustang? Any pics on how to install it? I assume it is similar to all previous Mustangs? Any help, pics, or info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

James
HTG Motorsports

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice

This may be a stupid response but I wouldn't go with any brand aside from Hurst Short throw. They have proven themselves time and time again. Especially in Mustangs.

Current: 2011 Mustang GT Premium 6 MT Race RED 401A SLP Loudmouth, BAMA 93-Race Tune

Sold: 2008 V6 Mustang, 2009 Mustang GT, 2010 Mustang GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
PONY Member

MGW is supposed to ship to me next week or so. I will be passing on as much info as possible. I also have a JHR bracket I might try after the shifter to get a feel for the shifter by itself.

I've had them all in various mustangs, steeda, hurst, pro 5.0, and UPR. Nothing better than the MGW IMO.

2004 SY Cobra, Pulley, CAI, Exhaust, Baer Brakes (458 rwhp & 479 rwtq) Projected completion June 2012

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Sold

2012 Limited Expedition EL

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

cwatson998 - yeah I was thinking Hurst as I've always had them in previous cars, just figured there would be more competition out there now

Entrenched - that MGW one looks bulletproof! What is a JHR bracket? What knob did you go with on the MGW?

I'm not too impressed with the stock GT shift knob, I was spoiled a bit by test driving the Mustang RTR with the RTR knob which I liked (looks and feel).

Thanks for the replies!

James
HTG Motorsports
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
PONY Member

The MGW is not here yet, hopefully next week. I have a Grabber pony knob on my stock shifter. Joe Heck racing (JHR) make a shifter bracket with a polyurethane bushing. It's been sitting in my garage because I really want to try the shifter first.

2004 SY Cobra, Pulley, CAI, Exhaust, Baer Brakes (458 rwhp & 479 rwtq) Projected completion June 2012

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Sold

2012 Limited Expedition EL
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrenched View Post
MGW is supposed to ship to me next week or so. I will be passing on as much info as possible. I also have a JHR bracket I might try after the shifter to get a feel for the shifter by itself.

I've had them all in various mustangs, steeda, hurst, pro 5.0, and UPR. Nothing better than the MGW IMO.
The MGW has the bracket integrated into the shifter already. You won't be able to use the JHR with it.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Grimace427

I'll post up my youtube video of me driving around town with my JHR shifter and bracket. Since I am quite familiar with rifle bolts, I can say with certainty the shifter does the job right.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

shifter

I wanted a new shifter for the Gagetrag MT82 tranny. There were no choices when I bought my car.

I installed the Steeda Tri-axe and have been very happy. It only reduces the throw 20%. I like that for how I use the car. The centering spring for 3/4 gate is a thing of beauty.

The Hurst and Barton were not yet available.

I drove the Barton while at Mustang week....seemed as smooth as the Steeda but shorter throw. Much more effort is required to change gears.

Bill

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice

I plan on picking up the Hurst when it finally comes out. I like the flat-arm look. I want a GT500 knob, though.

2011 Mustang GT/CS :: Performance White :: 6MT :: 3.73 gears :: Comfort Package :: 3M Carbon Fiber Tint 35% :: GT500 Splash Guards
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle007 View Post
I plan on picking up the Hurst when it finally comes out. I like the flat-arm look. I want a GT500 knob, though.
Does the GT500 knob have the shift pattern printed on it? If so it won't really work since the Tremec has reverse on the right, not the left.

2012 5.0 GT M6 Grabber Blue
300A, 3.73s, Brembo Brake package, Lethal O/R X-pipe, Mac axle back, JLT CAI, Lund cammed tune/Bama race tune, J&M LCAs, FRPP K springs, Tokico HP struts, MGW shifter, 305/18 NT555Rs

2012 Accord SE - DD
Lost loves: '97 Acura CL, '08 Mustang V6, '05 Pontiac GTO, 2011 Civic
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshmcfilth123 View Post
Does the GT500 knob have the shift pattern printed on it? If so it won't really work since the Tremec has reverse on the right, not the left.
Dang, good point! Maybe I can find a copycat. I like the stripes on the gt500 knob.

2011 Mustang GT/CS :: Performance White :: 6MT :: 3.73 gears :: Comfort Package :: 3M Carbon Fiber Tint 35% :: GT500 Splash Guards
PONY Member

the JHR shifter is a beautiful piece that has worked great for me and the price cant be beat.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page