Little early yet, but planning ahead. Blizzaks on just the rears ok for winter? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Little early yet, but planning ahead. Blizzaks on just the rears ok for winter?

I am going to put my 18" stock rims and tires back on with the OEM Pirelli's, but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to put 2 Blizzak's on the rear? And yes I drive my Mustang 365 days a year, and I am in central Illinois so we can have mild winters to that 2 foot blizzard in february.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Rear only winter tires are okay so long as steering and stopping aren't included in your snow/ice driving...

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Rear only winter tires are okay so long as steering and stopping aren't included in your snow/ice driving...
The Pirelli's were ok last winter for me, my only major issue was just getting going and the rears spinning a ton. And I understand it's rear wheel drive and I will have issues no matter what and Blizzaks won't turn it into a 4 wheel drive. But wondering if they would be beneficial.

I understand having all 4 would be even better.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice

Put winter tires on all 4 corners. Having all seasons up front and winters on the back increases your chances of going into an uncontrollable slide, even with TCS/Advancetrak.

2011 Mustang 3.7L, Sterling Gray, 6-speed manual, Interior Upgrade Pkg, HID's, Charcoal leather.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGuy View Post
Put winter tires on all 4 corners. Having all seasons up front and winters on the back increases your chances of going into an uncontrollable slide, even with TCS/Advancetrak.
Makes sense, trying to go jogging in one running show and a high heel could only lead to problems.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
PONY Member

All 4. You need to stop so the fronts are more important in my opinion.

2012 Candy Red GT Premium
2006 Corvette Z06
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice

Yes, I have heard all 4 or none, though I did at one time only put 2 on the front of an old Honda Civic. Looked strange but seemed to work. Also, besides stopping you need to steer too.

2011 GT Prem 401A Convertible - Sterling Grey, Red Interior, Manual, Elect/Comfort/HID/Sec
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice

Do a search on Youtube. I can't access Youtube at work but there's a video of a Volvo demonstrating what happens when you have a car equipped with 4 All-seasons, then All seasons up front and winters in the back, and finally all 4 winter tires.

Obviously it handled best with 4 winter tires, but it actually handled better, was more predictable and more stable with 4 all seasons compared to just 2 winter tires.

2011 Mustang 3.7L, Sterling Gray, 6-speed manual, Interior Upgrade Pkg, HID's, Charcoal leather.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

I have winter tires all around and I live in Waterloo, Ontario where we get a decent amount of snow, makes a HUGE difference... throw a couple hundred pounds of sand in the trunk for added help getting started
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

All 4, don't go half cocked into winter driving. something else to consider,lower temps effect the rubbers performance,and it's pretty huge deal... dedicated snows are designed/made to take lower ambient temps.
All season are tires that try to offer traction in ALL seasons, but fail to deliver,especially in the winter months.

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

all 4 or nothing. I'm going with lm60's when the temps dip.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
PONY Member

All 4. I used LM-25's on my 19" rims and 100 pounds of bagged gravel in the trunk.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page