K & N Air Filter, Hype or not? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

you wont get any real power gains but as mentioned you will save you a fortune in the long run by switching to the K&N - which means less waste and more $ for other car related toys.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I picked up 1 MPG better gas millage in my 2001 GT after K&N. I did not notice any gain of MPG on my 5.0. They say you do but I don't know. You don't feel any power increase because if there is any, it is very minimal (less then 4 HP).

You will save $$$$ in the long run over re buying paper filters. The oil your MAF sensor is a myth. You can probably find it on Mythbusters. LOL. :hihi:

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
PONY Member

I do not have experience with the maf on this car yet but my previous cars were very sensitive to the oil from K&N filters. Throttle response worsened and even a/f readings were skewed because the maf was hit with even a light coat. I was careful to use as little oil as possible and used extended drying times.

A few sprays of maf cleaner or electronic parts cleaner that is safe for plastic would get the throttle response back and a/f back in line. Maybe this maf is less sensitive than my experience but I would rather not deal with it so I stick to dry filters. That and the increased silica that always seems to show up on an oil analysis when K&N is used for the air filter.

2012 GT Premium 400A 6R80 Kona on Charcoal

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In general a mod that costs under $100 on it's own will do nothing you can feel in the seat.... and likely nothing at all. Real power upgrades cost real money. I don't care if it's a Mustang or a Civic or an F-150. Same for mpg improvers. It's just something to separate you from your money.

But, the k&n filters DO last a very long time

2012 Mustang GT Premium 5.0/6spd
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I read this thread months ago, and decided to buy the K&N as an experiment. I've had it on my car for a few thousand miles now. Here is what I've found:

-NO noticeable seat-of-the-pants gain. Induction feels exactly the same. Even at High RPMs/speeds.
-NO noticeable change in sound at idle or WOT
-NO change in MPG

I would never know its there if I didn't install it myself. The only gain i got was "piece of mind" knowing the reputation of K&N flowing better than stock. And I'm taking that with a grain of salt now.

As one of the moderators stated earlier, a lot of people who buy K&Ns end up getting a CAI. Now i KNOW why. Time to see what this whole "CAI" thing is about. :yelpleased:

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
GT Member

There's really no performance gain with drop-in filters but they do last longer and flow better longer. I've used K&N's in lots of cars and never had a problem but you really have to be careful not to over oil them when you clean them. Now I prefer the AEM Dryflow synthetic filters (made by K&N) as they also last a long time and you don't have to worry about oil coating the MAF. You simply rinse with water and dry.

Dryflow Air Filters - Oil Free Replacement Air Filters and Cone Filters
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mostly hype in my opinion, but I still use one on my GT. It came with the Ford 'power upgrade' and I'm sure it does flow a bit better than the paper filter, though not to a degree I'm able to notice it. The trade off is likely slightly reduced filtration capability.

I'm thinking about buying an ecoboost MKT family car next year, and will definitely not use a K&N or any other 'high-flow' filter. I'd much rather have the best filtration possible for a turbocharged engine.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
PONY Member

I have had K&N's on my last 4 cars, I noticed a small almost imperceptible difference putting a paper filter back in my BMW when I took it back off lease. A rule I have is when you clean them you don't over oil and do it on a day where the filter can sit out for 24 hours before installing it. I have never had any MAF issues.

2012 Mustang 5.0 - 2002 Focus ZTW - 2012 Kia Soul - 1969 Mustang GT
GT Member

I have never had one, but from other people that I know that have them, they are minimal if any gains. Although you will save money over the long haul with them, not having to worry about over oiling....I'll stick with the paper filters.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
PONY Member

Reading about the over oiling had me paranoid, so when i cleaned mine I was cautious.
What I saw that it was really difficult to get the filter dry. I set the filter on edge and put a desktop fan blowing through it overnight.
Next I oiled it and let it sit for a couple of hours and I could see where the oil forced out a few tiny drops of water. I blotted those off and put it in front of the fan again until it quit pushing out the the tiny drops of water.
That sounds like a lot more work that it is. 5 minutes to wash it, acouple to set up the fan and dry, a couple to oil it and put it in front f the fan. There's hours not doing anything in between and in that time the stock paper filter is the car so I can drive it.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page