Recommended oil weight. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
I've heard a number of folks state this.

Questioned both my Service Mgr and a Mobile Oil Tech about it, and both state this isn't the case, but that it has to do with ensuring adequate oil flow through passages.
And you believe that despite Ford recommending 30 weight for the exact same engines in markets without a CAFE?

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Crazy001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
And you believe that despite Ford recommending 30 weight for the exact same engines in markets without a CAFE?
Like the Super Duty pickup trucks and Excursions? Not even rated or tested for MPGs and see far harder use and engine loading than a Mustang engine ever will. And they STILL call for 5w20!

Maybe it has to do with the oils available in those markets? Are the oils in other countries also API certified?

2011 Mustang GT Premium,

Gone, but not forgotten:

2005 Mustang V6 Premium, traded 3/2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
OK, teach me, Daddy

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Just my .02 cents being a crotchety old guy. Many years ago I used to buy my oil from another old guy who had a store which sold lubricants only. It was called Cals oil service. He also did lube and oil changes and he knew a lot about cars, believe me. He told me that thinner oil was better, that thick wasnt the answer. He said that the thinner the oil, the better it flowed and circulated. Common sense isnt it ? Anyway, just a comment. It isnt 1930. Tolerances on new engines are incredibly tight and accurate. Hence the days of thick oil to take up clearances and increase pressure have long gone. Think i will stick with what Ford recommends. I havent been back to the dealer yet, but when I do I will asked them why they had a shelf full of 5w 30 units out and no 5w20. Maybe they were trying to get rid of old stock incase someone with a model T or model A comes in.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member
Classic Member

This debate has been ongoing for some time. There is a recent post on Ford warranty and Amsoil oil that has some good stats in it concerning Ford's opinion and oil composition from some very knowledgable folks. It has many posts but I would recommend you read the entire thread and then perhaps bobistheoilguy to form your own opinion. This subject takes some serious study to form an informed opinion. I will not state mine here as it will start another debate and nothing brings folks out like an "my oil is better then yours".
PONY Member

The recommended oil is 5w20 but 5w30 is used without any issues by a lot of folks. I will probably run 5w30 once I'm outta warranty.

Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebanger View Post
The Boss and GT500 both come with 5W-50. That tells me it's not going to kill the motor to move up one weight. I'm no engineer and never claimed to be. I'm just a Blackhawk crew chief who has worked on helos for the last 15 years and have learned my own way of taking care of my things.
Remember the Roadrunner engine in the Boss has different lubrication passages with the piston oil squirters of the coyote deleted. I'm willing to bet using 5W-50 in a coyote engine would result in insufficient piston cooling as the oil spray pattern through the squirters would be poor with a 50 weight oil. Some people really need to give credit to the engineers designing these engines. There are specific reasons for every fluid chosen and not everything is done with a strictly environmental slant. The coyote was developed from the ground up to be used with 5W-20 oil specifically.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Guys Ford has to shoot at a moving target with its recommended oil spec. The 5w 20 is the best all around oil but the thicker oil will work better in the summer..and then you run the risk of damage when the temperatures cool. (the reverse is true of using thinner oil in very cold enviromnents and having it over thin when the engine or temps heat up)... Thus for best "all around" use, its 5w20. I use the exact 5w20 Ford Motorcraft Synthetic blend they recommend.

Its not a magical answer that the 5w20 is the magical wt. They do design for 5w20 and it will give better mpg than 5w30..but the 5w30 would give you better protection on a track day in the south in the summer. The Boss engine is set up a tad differently and for higher RPMs, hotter temps, track days and thus has the heavier oil wt oil. Not sure if it is designed to run higher oil pressures but I imagine it is (to avoid the issue with decreased flow in tighter passage ways).

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I agree that under very harsh conditions like racing or tracking the car a heavier oil MAY protect a bit better. But, I think too much is made of hot weather driving since the cooling system should keep the water temp in the normal range. The oil temps should be the same on a 75 degree day or a 100 degree day if the cooling system is working properly. 5W20 oil is just fine in any temps 99% of drivers operate in.
On a 105 degree day your water temp may go up a bit but the oil temps will not. Just my observation over many years of driving.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

A comment about the Boss and Shelby engines using 5w 50 wt as opposed to 5w 20wt in the Coyote. You have to remember that both these other engines have forged pistons as opposed to cast in the Coyote, so they run higher wall clearances because they fit looser than cast pistons until thermal expansion takes place on warm up. Also, im willing to bet that because the Boss and Shelby are more race oriented, they run higher clearances on the rod and main bearings. Maybe only sightly,but race engines run more clearance on most moving parts to free up friction.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page