A mini rant (NO It's not about Mustang or Ford either) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

A mini rant (NO It's not about Mustang or Ford either)

So I was driving home yesterday from the show and shine and I pass up this weird looking vehicle on my right. I was not fast enough to reach and grab my camera so I did not get a picture of it but then as it came into view I could make out the winged badge... It said Mini, I'm like WHAT DA XXXK ! That ain't no Mini. This thing is huge, honking ugly as sin ES-YOU-VEE. Later when I get home I get on the net and look up this beast. OMG this thing has bloated to 3,200 lbs and is 13 1/2" feet long. For the model I saw (Countryman), it can cost up to $38,150 - maybe more with options. You can even get it with 18" wheels and four wheel drive. Who on earth would buy one of these things?

Now the reason I am telling you this is so you know what is possible when some sicko can take over a classic name like Mini and screw it to hell. Just be real glad (more like very thankful) that our Mustangs have evolved from 1964 to present (minus a short brain fart in the 70's) to a much, much better machine. The old Minis were kind of like simple, low cost go carts that could rally or be small delivery vehicles.

I saw a real sweet 60's Mini at the car show I was coming home from and posted picture of it on my Flickr account. This little rocket took up less than 1/2 a parking space in length. When I saw the new one on the road bearing the same name I was just shocked what BMW has done. 4 Doors, 4 Wheel Drive...should have just called their Countryman model something else because it ain't no Mini.

2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 Long-Term Test

Could you imagine someone at Ford using the Mustang name to sell a 4 door, 4 wheel drive?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011
PONY Member

Honestly, there have been some iterations of the Mustang that I'd rather forget. Not to mention the Mustang II debacle and Ford very nearly switching the Mustang over to a FWD V6(Probe) platform back in the early 90s.

You don't care when my car was built or what options it has.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011
Apprentice

Actually, I think those things are awesome. Overpriced for sure, but really cool looking.

2011 Mustang GT/CS :: Performance White :: 6MT :: 3.73 gears :: Comfort Package :: 3M Carbon Fiber Tint 35% :: GT500 Splash Guards

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011
PONY Member

Can you guess what this is?

See the wings ? Nope its not a Mini. . .
Nope its not a Chrysler
Who else has wings for a badge!?
does that face look familiar?

But yeah, Im glad mustang has stuck to its roots.
Im kinda dubious about the next gen independent suspensions all around though. But if they go that way they better go all the way and totally invade Corvettes space or at least leave an option for old school.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011
PONY Member

Ya those are F Ugly, but saw something worse the other day

While I was driving home the other day saw a shiny Camaro, as I got closer I saw it was a mystic type of chrome, though this could be cool, but man was I wrong

I was a wrap not paint, and not dome well at all. Seams all over the place

sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, but I was driving and the best I could do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome2.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	136576   Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	136577  

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011
PONY Member

A) You can still get a Cooper
B) The countryman did exist long ago and was bigger than the original cooper.

Is the new countryman ugly? Yes, but it's really not a departure from what mini has done in the past, at all.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitellius View Post
Can you guess what this is?

See the wings ? Nope its not a Mini. . .
Nope its not a Chrysler
Who else has wings for a badge!?
does that face look familiar?

But yeah, Im glad mustang has stuck to its roots.
Im kinda dubious about the next gen independent suspensions all around though. But if they go that way they better go all the way and totally invade Corvettes space or at least leave an option for old school.
Yessir...that would be an Aston Martin. A crazy attempt to adhere to some of those absurd fuel consumption regulations that are popping up all over the place like weeds.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Far worse are the Cayenne and Panamera that Porsche makes. YUCK.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011
PONY Member

The Mini looks like a PT Cruiser crossed with an 89 Civic...

And that ASTON MARTIN!!!?? A Smart Car on steroids... ROFLMAO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhurricane View Post
+1 LOL... the first time I saw a black Panamera coming up in the rear view mirror, I thought it was a charging rhinoceros... then it passed me... talk about butt ugly!!! A 911 in need of a Weight Watchers membership and a cellulite treatment program!!

Jim

Murphy was an optimist.

2011 GT Premium, Sterling Gray, 401A, 6MT, 3.73, 19" Brembo, Nav, Security, HID, Rear video, Boss 302 mufflers, Raxiom smoked taillights
Apprentice

The best part of the Aston Martin Cygnet? It's a damn rebadged Toyota iQ. I can't wait for the iQ to come here so some people can stick the AM badge on it to try to class themselves up. Gonna be great.
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
I share Top Gear's distaste for the new mini's as well. At first I hated the new mini when it was first introduced but when I got to drive the S version with the supercharger (a guy at our office got one) he put a set of coil overs and a smaller blower pulley and tune on the car and MAN that car is fun to drive!

I've been in and around several of the old minis though and for me, they still have the best styling by far. the new mini's don't look bad (at least the standard size ones) but the old ones....

Not to mention some of the amazing engine swap packages you can get for them (such as this clubman with the RSX-S K20 engine!)

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
MACH I Member

I'm not going to lie. The '60s Mini was my dream car as I was growing up, and if the opportunity came along to buy one even now, I still would. Also, I guess I should clarify that I was born in 87 lol

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastredponycar View Post
I share Top Gear's distaste for the new mini's as well. At first I hated the new mini when it was first introduced but when I got to drive the S version with the supercharger (a guy at our office got one) he put a set of coil overs and a smaller blower pulley and tune on the car and MAN that car is fun to drive!

I've been in and around several of the old minis though and for me, they still have the best styling by far. the new mini's don't look bad (at least the standard size ones) but the old ones....

Not to mention some of the amazing engine swap packages you can get for them (such as this clubman with the RSX-S K20 engine!)

sweeeeete :kooky:
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhurricane View Post
Rumor has it that Porsche is designing a small version of the Cayenne for tree huggers who want to get better fuel mileage. It may be called the "Paprika" because it has the looks of a Cayenne without the kick.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
Rumor has it that Porsche is designing a small version of the Cayenne for tree huggers who want to get better fuel mileage. It may be called the "Paprika" because it has the looks of a Cayenne without the kick.
I know you're joking, but they actually kind of are. They're working on the 'Cajun' which is basically a mini Cayenne. Though usually Cajun cooking's got quite the kick :p

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page