Ford Mustang Forum banner

FOX News, Uh Oh!!!

12K views 143 replies 45 participants last post by  brycerichert 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yeah... It was on the front page of Yahoo! news, and it was on my local fox news tv broadcast...

#4 ·
Just saw the link on FoxNews.com as well.

I just love this stupid bit of info on the bottom of the article:

"A FoxNews.com analysis of the recent NHTSA complaints indicates that a number of the owners may not be aware of a special feature found on V8-powered Mustangs that forces the transmission to shift directly from 1st to 4th gear under light throttle application. This is intended to increase fuel efficiency during the EPA fuel economy testing procedure and cannot be turned off, but is overridden during hard acceleration. The manual transmissions in the Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro SS, both built by a different supplier, function in a similar way."

So are all the reports being reported incorrectly in such a way that Ford thinks this is a skip-shift issue? Grrrr.:nono:

G
#5 ·
Just saw the link on FoxNews.com as well.

So are all the reports being reported incorrectly in such a way that Ford thinks this is a skip-shift issue? Grrrr.:nono:
It's not Ford making the assumption, it's Fox News doing that. No offense to anyone here but I think Fox news is retarded. They put so much bias into almost every story, mostly political stuff though(since I do live near Washington D.C). They like the shock and awe stories though I won't go so far to compare them to tabloids. I do believe they are getting slightly better but I will always get my news elsewhere.

Also Fox canceled Firefly. :madas:

#8 ·
So far I've seen this picked up by Fox, USA Today, Reuters, NYT and several other smaller publications. It is/was also on the front page of Google News, which linked to over 200 publications. The media attention will have just as much, if not more influence than the NHTSA investigation itself. As a die-hard Ford fan, I was honestly expecting them to do something well before it came to this point. I've mentioned it before, but my last car was a 2007 Civic Si, which was also infamous for transmission problems, amongst other issues. It was my first and only Honda (or non-Ford, for that matter) and I didn't understand why Honda had such a reputation as "reliable" and a "great" company. With this latest fiasco of Ford, I finally understand. It was not that the Si (or any Honda) didn't have problems, it's how they handle them. In a little over a year, without any media attention or government investigations, Honda admitted there was an issue and came up with a solution. In the same amount of time, Ford has done nothing but tell customers it's normal. It's sad, really. -Thomas

#12 ·
Like Fox news or not nobody is watching the other networks and that is a fact. Fox destroys them in every single hour of every day 365 days a year. When they report it reaches as many people as possible. That is a good thing in this case. Ford has screwed the pooch here one too many times and I for one am hoping this will light a fire under ABC's ass for a special as well. Ford has done little about this problem and gotten away with it for a year and now its time for them to pay the price. :nono:

#15 ·
Glad to see they used my quote

"FLUID SWAP DONE, GRINDING WORSE IN 2ND-4TH GEARS. 2ND GEAR LOCKOUT IN LEFT TURN AT 45 DEGREES. 4TH GEAR RATTLE UPON WOT [wide open throttle.] VEHICLE NO LONGER FUN TO DRIVE, WAITING TO GET RID OF IT AS LEMON."

*runs out*

G
#19 ·
Whoa! There's a whole lot of half-truth's being thrown around in this thread regarding Fox so let's clear something up:
Firefly wasn't just a "great series with a lot of potential", it was the best golram thing to hit the airwaves in 20 years. I can't stand for misinformation like that to be spread about.

Now please back to your silly rants about not knowing how to drive a stick and expecting Ford to cover the bill for you idiots that destroy your transmissions.

PS: are we SURE it's not skip shift?

How many people don't get sarcasm...

#24 ·
Whoa!
Firefly wasn't just a "great series with a lot of potential", it was the best golram thing to hit the airwaves in 20 years. I can't stand for misinformation like that to be spread about.
I sit amended :D

#20 ·
From the New York Times a few mins ago:

26,000 Ford Mustangs Investigated for Sticky 6-Speed Manual Gearbox - NYTimes.com

26,000 Ford Mustangs Investigated for Sticky 6-Speed Manual Gearbox
By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN

2011 Ford Mustang.
Complaints about the 6-speed manual transmission on about 26,000 Ford Mustangs from the 2011-12 model years have prompted an investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The agency said it received 32 complaints from owners who said they were unable to get the transmission into gear.

Ford introduced the 6-speed manual on the 2011 models, replacing a 5-speed manual.

Richard Truett, a Ford spokesman, said in an e-mail that the MT82 transmission used on the 2011-12 Mustangs was built in China as part of a joint venture between Getrag Corporate Group and Ford.

“Some reports allege incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic and others allege that incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic,” said a notice posted to the safety agency’s Web site over the weekend. “Some complainants allege that the erratic shifting behavior almost caused a collision with adjacent vehicles.”

The complaints came from owners of the V-6 and V-8 models. Two Mustangs powered by V-8s, the GT and Shelby GT500, were reviewed in the Automobiles section last weekend.

Ford issued a technical service bulletin in March blaming shifting problems on “cold ambient temperatures” and telling dealers to use a different type of transmission fluid. But some drivers who complained to N.H.T.S.A. said they experienced problems in hot weather or when the gearbox should have been completely warmed up.

“The difficulty in shifting is mostly confined to cold weather states and occurs when the gearbox is cold,” said Mr. Truett, the Ford spokesman, echoing the technical bulletin. “We have made a few engineering changes and installed a new fluid to correct the problem.”

On the agency’s Web site, a California woman wrote that while stopped at a traffic light, a driver approached at high speed behind her.

“I started prepping if I had to move forward into the intersection that had no traffic just in case,” she wrote. “Would not shift into first gear no matter what I tried. Quickly I shifted into second and saw the driver smash the brakes while his tires were smoking as he was approaching my rear end in a slide. Car had enough power to move me forward 10 feet to avoid a collision.”

The investigation is called a preliminary evaluation. If the agency found additional reason to be concerned, it would upgrade the investigation to an engineering analysis, which could be followed by a recall or a decision that no further action would be warranted.

G
#23 ·
Fox news is the only news station i watch. I can handle it in doses.

I dont care if the liberal networks are reporting on it. I'm glad all the media outlets are reporting it. The more the better.

As far as the transmissions the only real fix IMO is to replace them with the Tremec's. The getrag mt82 is a POS. Would be easier for ford to replace them with the magnum.

However that will cost them $$.

Hopefully the 2013 Mustang doesn't have the POS mt82 in it and the Tremec instead.

#28 ·
I am starting to think you are right. Ford probably knows this and could be why they have avoided this issue as long as they have. The possible reason as to why there is no fix is because its a throw away unit from the get go.

If he next generation Mustang is launched with the Getrag Mt82 you will hear people screaming about it from 3 states over.

#26 ·
While I'm one of the evil "Libs" around here that's out to take all your freedoms away, I'm just glad this is getting attention.

It really bothers me that Ford is keeping the line that it's just cold weather that's causing this. What nonsense.

#29 ·
This is why I only get my news from you guys.

V6 doesn't have the MT82 right? :afraid

#36 ·
This is why politics is biggest load of shiit...look at this thread :(

BTW i hope those with ****** trans get it fix, but for the most part this transmission is like butta.

#40 ·
TR-6060 or T-56, anything but the MT-82 in 2013 please. I test drove a few of the 2011s because of the trans. I thought the first one had problems so I test drove a couple others and thought they all shifted bad. Too bad and I hope Ford gets it right. Otherwise the Coyote and 2010+ car is awesome! I'm glad it's really in the public eye now, that'll make Ford do something to really fix it now. Well I hope anyway. Doesn't sound like the TSB did much.

#41 ·
The problem I see for this investigation from what I've been able to discern is, there is no single issue that causes MT-82 problems. Bad MT-82 shifting can occur from a number of problems, from drive-line mis-alignment, clutch issues, clutch fluid line contraction, etc. It will be interesting to find out what the NHTSA recommends.

#44 ·
Fox News? Oh geez, before the end of the story they'll figure out a way to blame the lousy transmissions on Obama:gringreen. :shigrin:p:winks

#45 ·
I heard he's friends with the chinese that built them and paid them under the table to sabotage the transmissions so no one would buy mustangs and would by GM so the stock prices would go back up and the government can sell them at a profit instead of a loss.

#57 ·
I didn't realize I was on a political forum. Could have sworn this was a forum about the Ford Mustang?

#60 ·
Curious though why this only affects 26,000 units? Could it be that ford quietly made an improvement to the trans with later builds? I only say that because (knock wood) my 6/2011 build gt has zero shifting issues. I think this trans is great - shifts clean and positive

#61 ·
Ah, didn't think of that. There's definitely gotta be more than 26,000 2011/2012s out there with MTs.

#71 ·
Only 32% of 2011 Mustangs were manuals? I'm surprised, thought it would be a bit higher percentage than that.

#64 ·
Good stuff. I guess we're all in this together. Now if my #8 goes at the same time as my clutch and trans, I'll feel really bad.

#82 ·
LET'S AIR THIS ON TV BECAUSE OF A STUPID TRANSMISSION MADE IN PIECE OF **** CHINA. IT'S WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN TOYOTA'S BRAKES NOT WORKING OR HONDA'S AIRBAGS NOT DEPLOYING.

~ End of rant.

P.S.
Biased a-holes can go to hell.

#83 ·
LET'S AIR THIS ON TV BECAUSE OF A STUPID TRANSMISSION MADE IN PIECE OF **** CHINA. IT'S WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN TOYOTA'S BRAKES NOT WORKING OR HONDA'S AIRBAGS NOT DEPLOYING.

~ End of rant.
Sounds like a fox or msnbc piece right there.... just bold it and it must be true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.