Hello from Germany - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GTAndy View Post
Thank you..

But I hate the German law for that, i loved the original blinker
On the pics you see my (sh*t) blinker in the small white chamber and a fog light installed in the left tail light...

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
That's not terrible! Though I agree that the stock lighting is a little nicer. At least you can import something like this into your country with a few modifications. It seems far more difficult to import any fun vehicle that isn't already available here into the US.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
That's not terrible! Though I agree that the stock lighting is a little nicer. At least you can import something like this into your country with a few modifications. It seems far more difficult to import any fun vehicle that isn't already available here into the US.

Realy? Is that so complicated over there? I thought you in the US could drive everything with four wheels.. but i think you can get every car you want in the United States?! It seems to me when I look at ebay.com etc anyway...

omg..my english must be horrible but i´ll work on it

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black, Saddle leather, 6spd MT, Comfort, Security, Reverse Park ass.
Grimace427

Quote:

Your English is superb! Just read around this forum for a few weeks and you will be shocked how some of my fellow Americans are lacking in their native language.

I've know several Germans, two foreign exchange students and several immigrants, all with perfect English. I have American coworkers that speak so poorly I have to ask them to repeat themselves just to understand them!

Also I've visited Frankfurt a few times when I was younger and enjoyed it very much.

MACH I Member

Hi Andy, nice car man! I'm an American living in Bavaria. If you ever come down this way then let me know. Congratulations on a very nice ride.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Your English is great, and like Grimace said, it's much better than many (if not most) Americans. Beautiful car and congrats!!! Let us know how it is on that Autobahn!

- 2014 GT/CS, MT-82, 3.73, Race Red -
Performance: Borla S-Type Axleback | Borla Over Axle Pipes | MGW Race Spec Shifter | Whiteline Transmission Mount Bushing | GT500 Clutch Pedal Assembly | JHR Braided Steel Clutch Line | Shelby Iso Clutch Reservoir
PONY Member

Quote:
Realy? Is that so complicated over there? I thought you in the US could drive everything with four wheels.. but i think you can get every car you want in the United States?! It seems to me when I look at ebay.com etc anyway...

Don't worry, your enlgish is better than many people who are native english speakers!

It's very hard to import cars into the U.S. unfortunately. My understanding of the situation is that back in the 80's Mercedes got upset that gray market cars were being imported into the US from Europe and they put pressure on the US to change their importation laws. But yes, before M-B got all upset, importation into the US was pretty lax. Now you have various layers of importation regulations-- from pollution control to demonstrating crash worthiness according to US regulations--that makes importing something pretty cost prohibitive. There are an exception or two here, but by and large it's very difficult to get euro-only cars over here. The Department of Transportation has a list of modern cars that are reasonably easy to get into the US, but the last time I saw it, none were worth even considering. Though we do have a 25 year rule, where you can pretty much import anything you want if the car is at least 25 years old.

I guess the availability of desirable cars in the US depends on your perspective. If pony and muscle cars are you thing, then the US is the best place to be. If you have a greater interest in european or asian cars, then the US didn't always get the best cars available. For instance, the US never got the Focus RS (or some of the ST models; I believe our Focus SVT [generation 1] was similar to the ST170 however). We never got any of the hotter Mitsu Evo and sube STI models that I know were available in the UK. And there were a bunch of Porsche, Audi, and MB cars that we didn't get---at least until very recently. Audi is FINALLY starting to offer their RS models in the US---we got the B7 RS4 and will be getting the TT-RS and supposedly the RS5 as well. Up until what, 8-10 years ago, mercedes refused to import the G-wagon as well. So some things are changing for the better IMO, as emissions and crash standards between countries become a bit more similar. If only I had the money to afford these nice cars!

But cars from Peugeot, Renault, and Fiat/Alfa (aside from the current 500) are almost non-existant here, save for some older cars that were from when those companies sold cars in the US [my family had a peugeot at one time and it was an awful car; I can see why they left the states!). The Renault Clio V6 would have been an awesome car to have officially offered in the US. And I personally have a twisted interest in the mkII Golf Rallye and Country editions (saw one of these in person when I was in Poland). But they may be verging on old enough to actually import now.

Sorry, for writing a book!
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks buddys

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddysPony View Post
Hi Andy, nice car man! I'm an American living in Bavaria. If you ever come down this way then let me know. Congratulations on a very nice ride.
Thx, yeah when i ever come down to you i let you know. And when you come up to me, let me know^^. Its a long way to you buddy.

PS. Before i got my Stang i watched your videos on youtube, that helped me a lot to wasted the time

@FirstFord94

No problem, its interesting to see how it realy is over there. I had a complete different view of it till now. Its funny you want to see more european cars and i want to see more american cars. For me its boring to see every day an Audi RS or M BMW`s or AMG MB.. My neighbor actually drive an BMW M5. In my town ( its not a big town ) are always 9 Audi R8´s. The US-Car commutity here is grow slowly on but its on a good way. You must be lucky to see a Mustang or a Camaro or something like that here

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black, Saddle leather, 6spd MT, Comfort, Security, Reverse Park ass.
PONY Member

Quote:
@FirstFord94

No problem, its interesting to see how it realy is over there. I had a complete different view of it till now. Its funny you want to see more european cars and i want to see more american cars. For me its boring to see every day an Audi RS or M BMW`s or AMG MB.. My neighbor actually drive an BMW M5. In my town ( its not a big town ) are always 9 Audi R8´s. The US-Car commutity here is grow slowly on but its on a good way. You must be lucky to see a Mustang or a Camaro or something like that here
The frequency with which one sees the AMG and M cars in the US, really depends on where you live. The eastern and western coasts have a lot of those cars roaming around. But they are still somewhat of a rarity over here. I did see an R8 the other day at a local bookstore which was nice to see, as they are pretty rare. When I went to Ingolstandt to visit the Audi factory I was absolutely shocked with how many TTs there were. They are fairly rare in the US as most people it seems would rather own a Boxster, Z4, or SLK.

I always got the impression that ALL modern American cars were pretty much looked down upon by most europeans. It seemed like the things that europeans like in cars are so different than what the typical american likes. For instance, the VW Jetta, while always the biggest seller in the US for VW has always been a pretty poor selling car compared to the offerings from Chevy and Toyota. But once VW decided to "americanize" the Jetta, it has sold VERY well in the US (at least within the last 6 months or so). I always got the impression that when it comes to cars, Germans especially are very nationalistic---as well they should be, as they make some superb vehicles. Is that not so much the case any longer? Do you find that younger people are wanting to drive say Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, and Challengers? Have any friends or family given you a hard time because you drive a very American car? Is your mustang much more expensive to own (with regard to fuel, taxes, and insurance) versus a similarly priced performance car designed for the German market?
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
I just spent a week in Germany, along the Rhine, and didn't see one American car. Nor any pick-up trucks, which is really odd since about 1/3 here are trucks. Lots of Fords though.

Even the dump trucks are different: taller chassis and smaller dump bodies.

Almost all the cars look new and well kept. And the homes are old and well kept. Everyone drives a manual, even the buses. No one litters like they do here.

Bump elbows in a bar and it starts, not a fight but a friendly conversation. They want to know when are we going to get rid of Obama.

Damn you Germans are tall. And you don't let your women get fat like we tend to do here.

The Autobahn has just as much traffic as your typical American interstate. It doesn't matter if there isn't any speed limit.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Do you find that younger people are wanting to drive say Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, and Challengers? Have any friends or family given you a hard time because you drive a very American car? Is your mustang much more expensive to own (with regard to fuel, taxes, and insurance) versus a similarly priced performance car designed for the German market?

Well the older people here and my parents thought iam going crazy to buy a car like that. Because they didnt know anything of these cars. And yes much of the younger people here wanting to dirve an american muscle car but most of them didnt have the money or are scared...( exotic car.. where can go with it when i have problems etc..). For me it is a little bit more expensive in taxes than my 23years old Audi 80 (425€/year to 280€/year). Fuel is not realy more expensive because its a fun car for me and not a daily driver. The insurance is ok for a car like that. Its a bit high because there are just a few mustangs here and if some of them has any damage the insurance for all these typs of cars are going high...
Hey but all these people how thought iam crazy were pretty quiet when i got my baby finally. They were impressed what i got for the "small" money. If you go to an Audi dealer with 38000€ (Thats what i pay for the mustang) you will got a BASE Audi A5 or something like that... Because of that i love the american cars, you get very much for your money...

@Yadkin
It was very funny to read your text

Grimace427

Quote:
The frequency with which one sees the AMG and M cars in the US, really depends on where you live. The eastern and western coasts have a lot of those cars roaming around. But they are still somewhat of a rarity over here. I did see an R8 the other day at a local bookstore which was nice to see, as they are pretty rare. When I went to Ingolstandt to visit the Audi factory I was absolutely shocked with how many TTs there were. They are fairly rare in the US as most people it seems would rather own a Boxster, Z4, or SLK.

I always got the impression that ALL modern American cars were pretty much looked down upon by most europeans. It seemed like the things that europeans like in cars are so different than what the typical american likes. For instance, the VW Jetta, while always the biggest seller in the US for VW has always been a pretty poor selling car compared to the offerings from Chevy and Toyota. But once VW decided to "americanize" the Jetta, it has sold VERY well in the US (at least within the last 6 months or so). I always got the impression that when it comes to cars, Germans especially are very nationalistic---as well they should be, as they make some superb vehicles. Is that not so much the case any longer? Do you find that younger people are wanting to drive say Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, and Challengers? Have any friends or family given you a hard time because you drive a very American car? Is your mustang much more expensive to own (with regard to fuel, taxes, and insurance) versus a similarly priced performance car designed for the German market?
You are so right regarding location and seeing MB and BMWs. Here in Northern Virginia you can't throw a rock without hitting a German car. Add to that the fact that I am an MB technician and my dealership also sells Audi and Porsche.

In 2008 I purchased a brand new Audi A4 using my employee discount. It was a great car with an awesome ride and excellent traction in poor weather. While I miss that car very much, I never heard anything from family, friends, or strangers, saying "nice car". Nobody cared I was driving an Audi, probably assuming my parents bought it for me(I'm only 25 now).

Now that I drive a black 2011 Mustang 5.0 I've had many compliments as well as funny looks from the luxury car owners. The Mustang is far more attention getting and since I've kept my visual mods subtle the attention has all been positive.

Funny story, I let my girlfriend drive my car to work while I took her car in to change the oil. She told me how when leaving work two guys were checking her out. One was leaning against his car, obviously proud of it and trying to show off(she could not remember the model, must not have been that cool!). Well they kept looking at her right up to the moment when she got in the Mustang and fired her up. She said she could hear their jaws hit the ground.
MACH I Member

I've made more German friends just because of this Mustang. Every time I drive someone will give me a friendly gesture...not the finger...LOL.

I'm glad you liked the videos Andy!

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Apprentice

Hallo Andy,
Ich bin mit Google Translate, also lasst uns hoffen, dass Sie das verstehen! Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum super Auto! Sie möchte auf jeden Fall aufpassen, für den Ölstand. Dieser Motor (der Kojote) ist bekannt, dass gelegentlich brennen Öl. Was ich sagen möchte ist auf jeden Fall in die Routine der Überprüfung Ihrer Öl regelmäßig zu bekommen. Haben Sie ein paar Liter 5w20 teilsynthetisches um den Fall, Sie passieren unter die Pockennarben werden. Wenn Sie das Öl zu überprüfen, können Sie aufhören das Problem, bevor etwas schief geht! Noch einmal herzlichen Glückwunsch, genießen Zerschlagung auf der Autobahn!

-- A Tribute to Ridiculous Signatures -- 2011 Mustang GT -- Performance White -- Charcoal Black Leather -- Borla S-Type Exhaust -- FRPP Boss Gauge Pod -- Boss Steering Wheel -- V6PP 19" Rims -- Sh!t Ton of Wheel Locks -- Viper Paging Alarm -- Baseball Bat -- GT500 Splash Guards -- :hihi:
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

@Mattmonay

Hey no Problem i understood everything. Good you say that because I ordered a few liters 5w20 yesterday but it just will be send tormorrow:/. I havent drive it since i checked the oil level. The oil level is on lower hole, so my problem I must drive with the car to a bump doc. on Thursday (transport bump) about 6km. Do you think i can drive it to him? because i won´t get my oil till Thursday... Im very careful with my new car so i wont risk something

MACH I Member

Quote:
@Mattmonay

Hey no Problem i understood everything. Good you say that because I ordered a few liters 5w20 yesterday but it just will be send tormorrow:/. I havent drive it since i checked the oil level. The oil level is on lower hole, so my problem I must drive with the car to a bump doc. on Thursday (transport bump) about 6km. Do you think i can drive it to him? because i won´t get my oil till Thursday... Im very careful with my new car so i wont risk something
As long as it's on the lower hole you'll be fine for a 6km drive my friend.

The manual--page 282-- says between the holes. If you are right on the lower hole then you should add a bit, but for a 6km drive it won't be a problem at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page