Extended Warranties - Yay or Nay? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Extended Warranty?
No. Waste of money... 73 64.60%
Yes. Great investment. 40 35.40%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I reluctantly bought mine for resale value...just incase I wasn't happy with the ol girl...
I know I like to drive a lot and would rack up the KMS. So I purchased the extended warranty.
I didn't know that you could get it cancelled...that is great to know because I am starting to seriously think about a turbo.
I bought the car last July and have 31,000KMS on her now.
And after how I WAS TREATED DURING MY CLUTCH PROBLEM I WOULD RATHER JUST PUT IN AN AFTER MARKET CLUTH.
Sorry for the little rant......:yelpleased:

2011 5.0 mustang convert.
Kona blue,
manual trans,
GT acc. package 4,Brembo brake package,
premier trim package,HID lights and of course dest.charges, taxes etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

It's a terrible idea. No company would ever sell you something that wasn't better for them than it is for you. when I sold cars we loved it when people bought them. We made a fortune on them. The are hardly ever used.

2011 6-Speed GT Convertible Premium, Ingot Silver, Brick Red/Cashmere Leather, Premier Trim W/Color Accent, Electronics Package, Security Package, HID Headlamps, Comfort Package, Brembo Brake Package and Rear Video Camera. FRPP air cleaner(K+N) and PROCAL re-tune.
GT Member

I went with a 4/48000 extended warranty for an extra $450, The main reason I did was purchasing that guaranteed I would have a rental car if something happened to mine.
So when my car was in the shop for fifteen days because of bad syncros I had something to drive and only had to pay for fuel.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldocella1 View Post
It's a terrible idea. No company would ever sell you something that wasn't better for them than it is for you. when I sold cars we loved it when people bought them. We made a fortune on them. The are hardly ever used.
That's exactly it. If something is going to break because of defect, it will more than likely break before the basic warranty is up. Otherwise the car should be good until after an extended warranty would expire before the big dollar items start to fail. Ford pays actuaries a lot of money to figure out the statistical probabilities of these things happening and where the profit point is at - they wouldn't be offering extended warranties if they were losing money on them.

I've bought two extended warranties, one of them being a Mustang. I didn't need either one. I didn't buy one on this car.

You don't care when my car was built or what options it has.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i learned after having a ss 97 s10 i wish i had the extended warranty. my dd blazer glad i went with it saved me thousands. Stang yep i like the peace of mind goin to the dealer and say here your problem fix it lol.

2011 Black GT Premium
Auto, 401A, Shaker 1000, Comfort Package,
18 inch rims, 50/50 Window Tint, Mrt
Rear hinged window louvers, 5.0 Flowmaster
American Thunders.
Boss Quad Exhaust
Ordered 2/9/10
Arrived 4/29/10
PONY Member

Take the $$ that you would spend on a extended warranty and open a extra savings account. Then every month have another $50 or so automatically deposited to the account. By the time your basic 3/36 factory warranty is up, you should have around $2500 to help cover any unplanned events. If you don't have any problems, you have a nice little nest egg bonus.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
PONY Member

waste of money IMO. Like someone else said, put the money in the back 'in case'. Don't give it to your dealer.
MACH I Member

I voted "yes," but I don't necessarily agree it's a "Great investment." It depends on the warranty terms. Since I'm overseas the extended warranty is from ENCS and has never failed me yet...

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I went with a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty from Ford. I think it was $1000 extra. They threw in 5 years free maintenance on top.

PremiumCARE Extended Service Plan Details | FLMowner.com
Ford Premium Maintenance Plan | FLMowner.com

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
i wish ford had an option when you first buy the car to eliminate warranty for like 2 or 3 grand discount.
If they made the warranty an option, virtually everyone would take it. You have to adjust for inflation but there were some court cases in the 90s involving the value of automobile warranties. For a full sized American family sedan, the warranty was worth between $200 and $300. So if they made it an option it would be far less than 2 or 3 thousand dollars.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Ford ESP

Let me set some of the misinformation straight re: ESP

#1) DO NOT consider purchasing an ESP from anyone except the manufacturer... everything else is sponsored by a third party risk retention group and while they make a great brochure, they don't do so well paying claims - additionally, the coverage is questionable.

#2) The manufacturer certainly benefits when you buy an ESP - it ensures you are happy with your purchase in the long term and will be much more likely to purchase from them again. If you don't think it's a good idea to cover your purchase - look into cancelling your home owners insurance... that is also profitable for the insurance company... as is medical insurance, life insurance, and auto insurance.

#3) Modifications do not stop an ESP from providing coverage. Obviously, Ford will not cover a part that they didn't build nor will they cover a component that was damaged by an aftermarket component... but the burden of proof is on them, not you. Magnuson-Moss Warranty act determined this many years ago. Additionally, it is rarely the aftermarket component that causes an issue... it's either an owner that is making one extreme modification without the appropriate supporting modifications OR it's plain abuse (no oil changes - etc)

#4) Call me for pricing on an ESP backed by Ford on your Mustang and I will get you fantastic pricing that will make a lot more sense for coverage - honored at every Ford and Lincoln dealer in the US and Canada.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In the days of simpler cars I would agree that buying an extended warranty was a total waste a money but to me that is completely outdated thinking now because of the electronics. How long do you expect your computer or big screen TV to last? Exactly.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
MACH I Member

Extended warranties aren't really like insurance since they are tied to miles driven or years owned, once those mile stones are exceeded you get zilch, despite the fact you're still paying for it. Even car insurance (full coverage) becomes a waste once the car depreciates to a point where you pay more over a few years than the car is worth. Computers & HID TVs will usually last longer than their extended warranties too, and once they go kaput it's often cheaper to buy another new one due to parts obsolescence. The car comes with a 3 year 36K full coverage warranty & 5 year 50,000 mile drive train warranty without paying an extra cent. So that extra 25-50K mile warranty is pretty expensive from what I was able to determine at the dealership.

Apprentice

I got 7/100,000 bumper to bumper for $2k from ford. It's a gamble, but I got it. Between the HID lights, navigation, etc- if any of those craps out, I come out ahead with the warranty. No amount of mods is going to cancel an electronics issue- which what I'm worried about.

My dad had the extended warranty on his '03 G35. It sits outside and the headlights got glazed over- they replaced something like $3k worth of parts with no problem. He did get suckered into the wheel/tire warranty, that was a total rip off. When he did curb one of the 18" wheels- it wasn't covered!

'12 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
Extended warranties aren't really like insurance since they are tied to miles driven or years owned, once those mile stones are exceeded you get zilch, despite the fact you're still paying for it. Even car insurance (full coverage) becomes a waste once the car depreciates to a point where you pay more over a few years than the car is worth. Computers & HID TVs will usually last longer than their extended warranties too, and once they go kaput it's often cheaper to buy another new one due to parts obsolescence. The car comes with a 3 year 36K full coverage warranty & 5 year 50,000 mile drive train warranty without paying an extra cent. So that extra 25-50K mile warranty is pretty expensive from what I was able to determine at the dealership.
My point is this: I don't see the value when your dealership marks the ESP up $2000... but at just over cost, they are an amazing value... you can also tailor the ESP to the way you drive, both in terms of months and miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page