No. Waste of money... 73 64.60%
Yes. Great investment. 40 35.40%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
I have it for my GT500. I did NOT get it on my '08 4runner. It's a Toyota, what could happen? Well the tire pressure sensors are going bad- I'm 3 months out of the 3/36k warranty and it's going to cost me about $800 to fix- $135 x 5 tires plus mounting and balancing. ugggg..... Too many expensive electronics in today's cars.
What???? C'mon pick the sensors up on Ebay for about $20 each!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
What???? C'mon pick the sensors up on Ebay for about $20 each!
+ 1

besides you can totally get away without fixing them. When I had winters on my Altima, I didn't care that the little light was on the whole time.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Apprentice

Warranty = No (unless they throw in the service plan with free oil changes/tire rotations for next to nothing as the price of the oil and labor etc nearly pays for the plan so you end up with the warranty for free).

GT/CS 3.73s, Nav/comfort pckg.
Mods: Roush Axleback, Airaid CAI/Bama Tunes (i am always changing the tune). In the market for a shift kit and lowering kit.

PONY Member

Generally, extended warranties are very profitable for the companies, hence the push to sell them whenever you buy an appliance or electronic device. They represent immediate profit directly to the bottom line with nearly no additional expense.

If an electronic component is gonna fail, it is highly likely that it will do so soon after being put in use, well within the "normal" warranty, while mechanical assemblies can take a while to fail..

I read on a consumer site that the only extended warranties that they recommended were for laptop computers that are used as they are intended, as traveling PCs, because of their relative fragility and likelihood of failure from normal use....

In the case of the 6MT Mustang, tho', while I love the car, I don't have a warm n fuzzy that it will be reliable beyond the standard warranty, so am seriously considering it if I can negotiate a good deal including routine maintenance... In the little research I have done to date, there is a LOT of room to negotiate on the web....

Jim

Murphy was an optimist.

2011 GT Premium, Sterling Gray, 401A, 6MT, 3.73, 19" Brembo, Nav, Security, HID, Rear video, Boss 302 mufflers, Raxiom smoked taillights
Apprentice

Outside of the modding point which is a good one....

Pretty simple. Are you a payment buyer and live check to check somewhat? If so buy the warranty if you can afford the additional payment.

If you have the funds to coverage a major issue in the event that it may occur skip the warranty.

Odds are you will pay much more for the warranty that what you will get from it. But if you are working on a tight budget and a major repair could sink you buy the warranty.
PONY Member

My 2003 Mercury Marauder had the following covered under ESP;

2 axles
1 rear pinion
3 4R70 transmissions
1 hood latch
1 power window motor
1 front sway bar
1 wiper motor

AND a few other things. I had a stack, 1 inch thick, of things that failed after 36,000 miles. That car would've bankrupted me if not for extended warranty.
FordService

Hello Members,

Ford ESPs are a great peace of mind to have. To those who are interested in getting one, please speak to your Finance Manger at your Ford dealer. Here is the info for the Extended Service Plans and the Maintenance Plan.

Deysha
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

So, how's everyone doing? Assuming the warranty is based on the sale date and not the build date, I'm in year 4 of the 5 year powertrain warranty...I think my ESP might be good for another 2, can't remember... Haven't used any of it once (which is great! I know)... Shoulda maybe listened to these guys and cancelled the ESP back in the beginning!!!! ...Hmmm, I wonder if its too late?

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
Rookie

I got 3 years and 36,000 extra for $900. I plan on doing only appearance mods, 420 HP is enough for me. I never buy the warranties for anything, but $900 seemed real reasonable for three more years, with NO $100 deductible... so many computers in these cars... I got the Nav package as well. It's insurance.... of course the car companies make money on them, most people don't have big problems. Think it's a waste? Drop your homeowners insurance... the odds your house burns down are WAY WAY less than your car having an issue, AND the insurance company is making money off of you.... money you could use to mod your house.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Voided mine 3 days after I bought it so I'm gonna go with NAY :}

On a side note, if you dont plan on doing anything to your car, I would say yes.

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
Apprentice

The only reason I bought mine was the paint protection. I live in Florida and there are lots of love bugs and paint damage is covered as well as all scheduled maintenance. To me its worth it.
PONY Member

I thought about it, but my car has been pretty reliable over the last few years. I suppose something bad could happen at any time, but frankly, I'm betting against it. If I owned a BMW or something similarly complex and stupid expensive to repair, I might be more inclined to get an extended warranty.
Apprentice

When I bought my 2013 GT last year, I got the extended warranty for about $20.00 more /month in my 60-month loan. Going in I figured this would be the last new Mustang I buy (after seeing sketches of the new "15") so I wanted the extra protection. I figure that if I ever get a windfall, I'd keep the 13 and get a 66, 68, or 69 fastack and store it.
PONY Member

waste of money these days and worse if you don't pay cash, ie, finance the warranty. Do the math and see how much you are really paying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page