The best hood: Saleen vs vis racing - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Which Hood Would You Choose?
SALEEN 65 69.89%
VIS RACING 28 30.11%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Stock hood is great, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the Saleen or VIS ones that look really sick.
I agree, the stock hood looks good. Just not "Mustang" enough for me. I have had a Mustang from the age of 16 and all have had a hood scoop.

There is really not that much difference between the Saleen and VIS hood. I carried the VIS hood myself to the back of my Expedition and placed it in the back myself. I can't really say how much it weighed but I am guessing about 30 pounds.

The VIS hood is susposed to wiegh about 1/2 what the stock hood weighs but I have no idea what the stock hood weighs. I guess I will know when I bring it home from the body shop. By the way, anyone want to buy a stock hood cheep? LOL.

The VIS hood is fiberglass and has a deflecter built inside so water does not dump on the motor when washing or in the rain. The Saleen hood is made of a PVC type plastic and lacks this feature. So if you buy the Saleen hood, don't drive it in the rain. I am told the plastic used in the Saleen hood weighs the same as the fiberglass.

I looked at two cars with the Saleen hood and really liked the look. The actual differences are so slight, I really can't see spending 2K for the Saleen hood (painted and installed) when you can have the VIS hood (better quality) painted and installed for less then $650. I will ask $300 for my stock hood and reduce my total to $350.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Damn, now you're making me wonder...
The Saleen hood is made of highly durable RIM injected material (whatever that means...), I wonder what's the difference of the weight between the Saleen and VIS...

Did you saw them side by side in person?
I do agree that the price of the Saleen is nuts, but why is that? Can't be because just of the name...

The VIS has a deflecter you say? That goes where? It would be nice to have a pic of that...

I also wonder how you gonna sell your stock hood...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
GT Member

Saleen is just a brand name and its over priced... 1200 plus paint... 1800 bucks for a simple hood... no way

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.

GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Damn, now you're making me wonder...
The Saleen hood is made of highly durable RIM injected material (whatever that means...), I wonder what's the difference of the weight between the Saleen and VIS...

Did you saw them side by side in person?
I do agree that the price of the Saleen is nuts, but why is that? Can't be because just of the name...

The VIS has a deflecter you say? That goes where? It would be nice to have a pic of that...

I also wonder how you gonna sell your stock hood...
I dont know the weight difference between the hoods but they say they weight approximately the same.

No, I went to the dealership you posted and looked at the Saleen hood then went to the VIS building and looked. I then did photo side by side.

Yes, the deflector on the VIS hood is under the scoop and directs the water to the sides so the water does not drop on the motor and possibly ruin your electrical system. The Saleen hood lacks this feature.

Probably on e-bay or Craigslist. I figure the stock hood sells for $500 from the dealerships so getting $300 should be easy. I may even sell it to my body shop guy in trade for the paint and install. The hood fits 2010, 2011 and 2012 models so he may go for it.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #65 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Can you post of few pictures of your VIS hood even if not painted yet, so We can see how it looks, also I'd like to see that deflector, it really bugs me the Saleen doesn't have it...

I think you have more chances making a deal with your body shop for your stock hood, cause I don't see many folks looking for that...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
PONY Member

alright king of mods here with my two cents.....

First of all they look exactly the same.....you are ridiculous if you think other wise....why do I say that? Because its what I do....everything worth some money and is sought after results in a Chinese copy....which is what the VIS hood is a copy of the SMS one....so pay more if u want for the brand name at the end of the day when they are painted to match only Steve Saleen can maybe tell the diference the funnier fact is even his maybe made in China lol.....like a million other parts.....these are the facts.....it looks very similiar.....weighs less.....is more aggresive.....is a real scoop.....has a mesh built it....costs a third.....and most of all fits well....so you Gucci boys get the Saleen lol.....i dont give a ****.....lol....when doing 130 on the fwy who cares.....they both are so much better than the oem version so u decide.

ANYWAY FYI JUST DID ENTIRE INTERIOR CUSTOM AND ADDED A SUNROOF/MOONROOF....YUP THATS WHAT I SAID.....IN CHANNEL....FLUSH MOLDED.....RETRACTS IN LINER DOESNT POP UP LIKE THE UGLY CAMARO ONE.....AND ITS ONE OF KIND.....MUSTANGS HAVENT HAD SUNROOFS SINCE 87 POP OF GLASS VERSION......FREAKN LOVE IT

2011 GT Prem 5.0, 3.73, MT, Paxton Novi SC, Air2Air Cooler, BBK Full Lenght hders, BBK high flow catd xpipe, Ram Force 9.5 Clutch, DDS alum driveshaft, Magnaflow Comp 3" , Snow Perf Water/Meth, 3D Carbon kit, Tokico D-Specs, Eibach Pro, Autometer gauges, SOS pillar, Steeda short shifter, Lakewood Suspn, Hellwig Swaybars, Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Grant wheel, General F 275/35, Mickey Thompson R ET ST 305/35/20, Forgestar 20x9 20x11, SSBC brake kit, Kicker audio, Pioneer HU, Viper5901, Kleinn horn
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1980 View Post
First of all they look exactly the same.....you are ridiculous if you think other wise....why do I say that? Because its what I do....everything worth some money and is sought after results in a Chinese copy....which is what the VIS hood is a copy of the SMS one....so pay more if u want for the brand name at the end of the day when they are painted to match only Steve Saleen can maybe tell the diference the funnier fact is even his maybe made in China lol.....like a million other parts.....these are the facts.....it looks very similiar.....weighs less.....is more aggresive.....is a real scoop.....has a mesh built it....costs a third.....and most of all fits well....so you Gucci boys get the Saleen lol.....i dont give a ****.....lol....when doing 130 on the fwy who cares.....they both are so much better than the oem version so u decide.

ANYWAY FYI JUST DID ENTIRE INTERIOR CUSTOM AND ADDED A SUNROOF/MOONROOF....YUP THATS WHAT I SAID.....IN CHANNEL....FLUSH MOLDED.....RETRACTS IN LINER DOESNT POP UP LIKE THE UGLY CAMARO ONE.....AND ITS ONE OF KIND.....MUSTANGS HAVENT HAD SUNROOFS SINCE 87 POP OF GLASS VERSION......FREAKN LOVE IT
I was looking at a Webaso sunroof in La. installed for 850.00. Automatic and pops up like a spoiler. Am I close on your make?

2011 5.0 Gt Premium, Black,Stone Interior,400A, Shaker 1000,3.55 Gears, 19" Pirellies, Air Raid CAI, Roush Axel Backs, Bama 91 performance Tuned, Roush body package.
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Ok, by popular demand. I did not want to take the bubble wrap off until I got to the body shop tomorrow for the install. I figured, what the heck. Here are some photos of the VIS hood. The first photo is the underside. You can see the water deflector that the Saleen hood does not have.

The front shot of the scoop shows the chrome metal grill. Again the Saleen hood mesh looks silly by comparison.

I take the car in tomorrow morning so I should be able to post some installed photos by Tuesday night or Wednesday afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3328_1768.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	139081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3330_1770.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	139082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3331_1771.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	593.4 KB
ID:	139083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3332_1772.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	139084  

post #69 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for posting these GT Style!
I might be blind, but I don`t see where that water deflector is...

Looks good tho, I`m gonna wait until I see it on yours to decide which one I`ll go with. Thanks again for sharing!

Edit PS: Never mind, I see it now, ok yes that` s a big plus compared to the Saleen who doesn`t have it! Unbelievable... That is certainly a plus.

Last edited by Asphalt Cowboy; 09-11-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Just saw the water deflector
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting these GT Style!
I might be blind, but I don`t see where that water deflector is...

Looks good tho, I`m gonna wait until I see it on yours to decide which one I`ll go with. Thanks again for sharing!

Edit PS: Never mind, I see it now, ok yes that` s a big plus compared to the Saleen who doesn`t have it! Unbelievable... That is certainly a plus.
I am probably using the wrong term, "deflector". I don't know the proper name of it. LOL

post #71 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
I am probably using the wrong term, "deflector". I don't know the proper name of it. LOL
No worries, I understood what it was.
So I assume they`re gonna paint the inside and out white on yours, do you think there is a way to keep that inside pad of the stock hood?
Might be one thing to ask them tomorrow, just saying...

GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

You are reading my mind. I actually have been looking at ways to attach the stock pad to the hood.

post #73 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

hehe great minds think alike lol How is it fixed to the stock hood? Haven`t looked...

GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Black plastic plugs. Just found out I can't pick up the car until tomorrow.

post #75 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Damnit that sucks, what are these black plastic plugs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page