The best hood: Saleen vs vis racing - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Which Hood Would You Choose?
SALEEN 65 69.89%
VIS RACING 28 30.11%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Long time no see Digital Synapse, nice to see you here again! What are your thoughts about the open Saleen hood scoop to the engine and its lack of a "water reflector" does it bother you or not?
Haha, I come by every now and then. I skim the boards once or twice a week, not alot of new info in here. I'm usually scouring 11 boards or so at any given time. My thoughts have been expressed as far as the outer aesthetics go. The fit and finish from what I've seen posted here show the Saleen to be of higher quality. The Saleen hood edges are even with the fenders, where the Vis hood has a buckle about halfway. It's not horrible, but if you're in a car show on the national level, or care what it is going to look like after 6 years, it makes a difference. Same goes for the underhood finish, and it is incomplete on the VIS. That's alright for a DD, but if you compete in road racing or 1mi strip, with sustained speeds over 100mph, I'd vote Saleen, and in either case, hood pins. The first Saleen Powerflow hoods were aluminum, but the new injected ones I'd do pins for added safety. >140mph I'd tape off the scoop, don't want the hood getting ripped off.

Also, my thoughts on the underside and supposed "lack of deflector". This is an incorrect observation, clearly shown on both pics. Thanks to both parties for supplying the good angles on the pics.

The Vis hood (seen in post #89) has a different bracing structure on its underside from the Saleen, so less structural integrity and different underhood air flow. It looks to be smooth back from the scoop, so unresricted air would flow straight back, the afterthought bolted in "deflector" with front gap helps to direct the air downwards and water as well, the bulk of the water (and debris) will hit the back and flow around leaking out the front so long as it stays clear of debris like leaves dirt, etc. Water looks like it will flow harmlessly onto the radiator cover/shroud.

The Saleen hood (seen in post #40) has a better brace under the hood for distributed strength in the event of an accident (I'm pretty sure VIS doesn't crash test their hoods to make them DOT approved, but I don't know that for a fact, maybe someone could supply some concrete data) and if you notice the brace that is right behind the scoop acts as a deflector. Air/water is directed downwards at that point and onto the radiator, no need for extra baffles slowing air speed. Air does not turn upwards and backwards without something directing it to, and there is nothing there that I see. This design is similar to the 2010+ GT500's. This is how the scoop is designed.

Also, if you were to test the underhood pressures at that location, you'd see that pressure is low, so the added air is just going to be hitting some resistance slowing it down, as air at that exact spot in the hood would like to escape, not enter.

None of what I say is based off assumptions, but concrete facts in my experience with physics, airflow, and underhood pressures/temperatures. If you don't agree with what I've stated, please enlighten me, but do so with data. I'd love to learn more about pretty much anything. If I'm wrong about something, please correct me, so I can have things squared away. This is supposed to be one big knowlege base of a community where we all share info with each other so everyone can make educated purchases with all the info they can get to make the best descisions. $700-$1600 is no joke, that's alot of moolah. In the end, if you want to go either way, I think you'll be ok. If quality and safety are more important to you, regardless of price, go with Saleen. If you go with Vis, I would say you're getting a decent product, with minimal differences for a savings in half price.

I don't like people stealing designs or ideas and reaping the benifit without doing the work. Body parts, performance parts, art, entertainment, or anything of the sort. I also don't pirate movies or music. Soooo take that for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
The Saleen hood just sprays the water back over the entire motor and electrical system.
Do you know this for a fact? Have you seen this happen? Do you have pics?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Very good informations there Digital Synapse! I agree pretty much with everything you said, I knew it had to be a reason why the Saleen is more expensive than the VIS (couldn`t be just the name), and as good as the VIS is, there is no doubt that the Saleen is a little higher in quality.

As I plan to keep my Mustang for a long time, I think I`m gonna stick with my first choice and wait to get the Saleen Hood. Thanks to you, I found out also that there were some kind of "water deflector" also in the Saleen, it makes sense as you explained it.

I have seen both Alex and GT Style`s VIS Hood in real and each time saw some gaps on the sides that I never saw on the Saleen, and as I am picky about my Mustang I must say that it`s bothering me...

Here are a few shots of both hoods, inside & out, the real difference in the appearance is where the hood scoop is, no doubt about it, they look similar but not quit exactly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SaleenVIS 1.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	617.6 KB
ID:	139421   Click image for larger version

Name:	VISSaleen From Sides.jpg
Views:	1513
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	139422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside VIS & Saleen Hoods.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	560.8 KB
ID:	139423  

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
PONY Member

i would go with Saleen just cuz, but i had a full VIS racing bodykit on my infiniti g35 that i traded in and it was perfect fitment and quality all around

12' RR GT | FORD RACING | JBA | CERVINI | ROUSH | KONI | H&R | 3DCARBON | C&L | AMRs | BREMBO | CDC

post #94 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse View Post
The Saleen hood (seen in post #40) if you notice the brace that is right behind the scoop acts as a deflector. Air/water is directed downwards at that point and onto the radiator, no need for extra baffles slowing air speed. Air does not turn upwards and backwards without something directing it to, and there is nothing there that I see.
Looking back at it now it`s so obvious, lol still wonder how I missed that!
Thanks again dude, it was bothering me, now I know the Saleen has one "Deflector" too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Saleen Water Deflector.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	139445  

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Looking back at it now it`s so obvious, lol still wonder how I missed that!
Thanks again dude, it was bothering me, now I know the Saleen has one "Deflector" too!
No problem dude. I just try and put out the most reliable info I know of. I'd like the Saleen hood. I wish it were still being made in aluminum. I'll probably pick one up after I get my Glassback put in.

GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

The VIS hood has the same stabilization bar. It does very little by itself to deflect the water. The water deflector on the VIS is screwed to the stabilization bar.

Well I got the pad put on. I just used the factory /plastic pins and cut the stock pad so the scoop air flow would not be interfered with.

I found that the VIS hood fits very well. You have to loosen the bolts on the quarter panel that are under the hood. You can then push it inward to reduce the gap to factory. I am having trouble getting to the bolt on the right/front as it is under a plastic cowling. I can't figure out how to remove the cowling. I guess I will have to call my dealership for advice. With that being said, I have the left side nailed. No gap, no bump. Just factory lines. I will post some photos after I get the right side nailed.

Here is a photo of the pad installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3339_1779.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	598.8 KB
ID:	139476  

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #97 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for sharing informations GT Style, waiting for the other pictures to see how it looks now.
What`s the point of the hood pad anyway? Cover a bit of engine noise?

GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing informations GT Style, waiting for the other pictures to see how it looks now.
What`s the point of the hood pad anyway? Cover a bit of engine noise?
Well, I am not exactly sure. I did notice you hear less engine noise with the pad on. I think it reduces the amount of heat that gets to the hood as well. Probably not an issue with the stock metal hood. But, with a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood, you don't want heat.

In my case, I like the look better and it covers the tubes for the window washers.

I got the right side done. My neighbor showed me how to remove that cowling and I was able to move the fender in and up. I will take a photo tomorrow. It looks great.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
PONY Member

post #100 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I wonder hehehe

post #101 of 141 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Alright guys, I have bad news for the Saleen Hood lovers like me, I did some testing today with water on the hood scoop and it's official, there is no " deflector" at all on that hood scoop...

Wash your car, drive under the rain, get some dust or bugs, it will all get inside, and your engine will be a mess! I can't believe Saleen didn't think of anything here...
Glad I made that test before going any further with that hood... But watch the video I made, it's better than words...:

Saleen S302 Powerflow Hood - YouTube

So now, I do not have many options:
1) Still get the Saleen Hood and have to block the hood scoop so nothing gets in lol
2) Get the VIS Hood, I like it also, I just prefer the look from the front of the Saleen hood where the lines flow better I think, but the VIS is nice too
3) Stay with the stock hood
4) Find another one; I'm gonna wait until I go to the Sema Show in Las Vegas, as I might find something there that I'll like too, who knows...

Anyway, I'm really disappointed about the Saleen Hood...

GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Alright guys, I have bad news for the Saleen Hood lovers like me, I did some testing today with water on the hood scoop and it's official, there is no " deflector" at all on that hood scoop...

Wash your car, drive under the rain, get some dust or bugs, it will all get inside, and your engine will be a mess! I can't believe Saleen didn't think of anything here...
Glad I made that test before going any further with that hood... But watch the video I made, it's better than words...:

Saleen S302 Powerflow Hood - YouTube

So now, I do not have many options:
1) Still get the Saleen Hood and have to block the hood scoop so nothing gets in lol
2) Get the VIS Hood, I like it also, I just prefer the look from the front of the Saleen hood where the lines flow better I think, but the VIS is nice too
3) Stay with the stock hood
4) Find another one; I'm gonna wait until I go to the Sema Show in Las Vegas, as I might find something there that I'll like too, who knows...

Anyway, I'm really disappointed about the Saleen Hood...
In all fairness to the Saleen hood. You would have to be driving in some very bad weather to get as much water in the scoop as in that test. With that being said. I have done the same thing to my VIS hood and only got a few drops on the engine. It looks like the Saleen hood filled the entire top of the intake manifold. LOL. The water deflector works very well in the VIS hood. I will try to make a video tomorrow.

post #103 of 141 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well after seeing the disaster of the Saleen hood scoop when dealing with water, I might not even get the VIS either as I fell in love with the Trufiber Venom Ram-Air Hood that I saw at the Sema Show in Las Vegas.

I could also compare with the Saleen as both were not far from each other...

Good thing about the Trufiber is that it is functional: the scoops collect the air, and re-direct the air in a channel on the underside of the hood and dumps it directly over the air box. Unlike the Saleen no water will get inside from the scoop, as the channel goes up at the opening. And even if some water did get in, it would drop by the radiator, as there is the opening there too.

2010-2011-2012 Mustang venom hood

Installing TruFiber's Venom Ram Air Hood on your 2010-2012 Mustang is like killing two birds with one stone. Not only will your Mustang look like it means business, it will perform like it too.
This Mustang aftermarket hood features a fully-functional, built-in Ram Air Kit that boosts your engine's power by improving airflow. Cool air entering through the air scoop on the hood is channeled through your air box. TruFiber's Venom Ram Air Hood also includes two heat extractor vents to help your Mustang run cooler.
TruFiber did all they could to make sure that this hood looks great, too. Constructed with hand-laid fiberglass, this Mustang hood is finished with a smooth gel coat for a show-quality finish.
The Venom Ram Air Hood weights approximately forty pounds, and reinforced metal latch and hinge plate ensure that the hood closes securely and safely. It comes with a stainless mesh grill over the Ram-air intake ducts, and features a pre-drilled hood prop hole.
This hood is easy to install on your 2010-2012 Mustang. It bolts directly onto your 2010-2012 Mustang's OEM stock hood hardware.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5903.jpg
Views:	4924
Size:	605.3 KB
ID:	142516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5815.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	142517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5904.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	629.4 KB
ID:	142518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5814.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	142519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saleen Under Hood.jpg
Views:	1484
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	142520  

Name:	Trufiber Under Hood.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	142521  

Rookie

hey guy's I'm new to this conversation, but I talked with GT Style and he told me he picked it up himself from the vis racing. ....
ok. So. I pulled the trigger on the stalker hood. I've read that the stalker is actually better Construction and design than the saleen counter part. I called VIS directly and they said they would match a price of $560+125 shipping = $680. buttttttt...they wouldn't ship it to the body shop because my billing address didn't match the body shop address.
Unless I went to Bank of Amexica and dropped a deposit to their account. Eph that ...I dumped bank of amexica years ago cuz they loan out to illegals. Soooo. I did some more searching and finally .... I got mine from Octane Motorsports out of Cali.
I paid $450+ 175 for shipping for a total of $625, paid with my debit card and shipped to the body shop.
Now I just wait....and wait....
Rookie

got my stalker hood on the table at the body shop...needs some work....not a ton, but like all fiberglass hoods, it does have it's imperfections. I should be picking up the car on Monday Dec 5th.
getting the middle of the hood painted black and replacing the GTCS side stripe with reverse C-stripes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page