Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011-2014 Mustang Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/)
-   -   The best hood: Saleen vs vis racing (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/309304-best-hood-saleen-vs-vis-racing.html)

Asphalt Cowboy 08-19-2011 09:59 PM

The best hood: Saleen vs vis racing

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I know there as been many comments on the Saleen Hood but not so much about the VIS Racing one who is the clone of the Saleen. What do you guys think about these 2? Which one would you get?

The VIS Racing one is way cheaper..., but what about quality? Does it fit as good as the Saleen? Is it as solid as the Saleen? What are there weight of these hoods?

I know Alex loves his VIS Racing Hood, and they do look the same. Here is a Poll so you guys can vote!

I know my hood is gonna be like that, I just haven't made up my mind which one of these 2...
Advices and feedbacks from owners who have either one of these 2 are welcome!

Here are the direct links and price for both:

SALEEN: $1,299.99
Saleen Saleen 2010+ S281 Powerflow Hood Kit

VIS RACING: $700
Vis Racing Sports Inc.

GT STYLE 08-19-2011 10:18 PM

They are both overpriced. LOL. I like the Saleen hood better. They are both non-functional hood scoops but the Saleen at least dumps air into the the engine bay. The VIS's hood scoop is just plugged.

Be careful of the hoods that don't show you photos of their underside. The only truly functional hood scoop hood for the 2011 and 2012 is the Cerninis. It actually scoops the air and channels it to the top of the CAI. With that being said, I will probably end up with the Saleen hood.

Cervini's Concept Hood - Unpainted (10-12 GT, V6) - Cervinis 1200

Draghon 08-19-2011 10:28 PM

Saleen hood looks better but I think only cause of the VIS car's racing stripes... personally they look the same either way... you could always get a body shop to cut the scoops to make them functional...

Asphalt Cowboy 08-19-2011 10:38 PM

How can one of these 2 look better than the other, they're exactly the same!! :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT STYLE (Post 2699215)
I like the Saleen hood better. They are both non-functional hood scoops but the Saleen at least dumps air into the the engine bay. The VIS's hood scoop is just plugged.

Be careful of the hoods that don't show you photos of their underside.[/url]

Both dump air into the engine bay, the VIS hood scoop is not just plugged, it's the same as the Saleen, I've seen them both underside.

fake 08-19-2011 10:51 PM

Asphalt Cowboy 08-19-2011 10:57 PM

Fake, the thread is about the Saleen & VIS Racing hoods, I do not care about others, thanks.

GT STYLE 08-19-2011 11:01 PM

Sorry, I started it by posting the other link. The photo of the VIS looks like it is plugged. I have not seen either up close an personnel. LOL

fake 08-19-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy (Post 2699271)
Fake, the thread is about the Saleen & VIS Racing hoods, I do not care about others, thanks.

Then the saleen hood is what I like. The VIS looks like a stock hood with the factory hood scoop intergrated into the hood.

Asphalt Cowboy 08-19-2011 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I found on VIS RACING:

VIS Racing has been around since 1996, making body kits for import cars just as the import scene was really getting big. Soon after, carbon fiber started getting hot and VIS started manufacturing some parts in carbon fiber. They've now perfected their carbon fiber manufacturing, the quality of VIS Racing Sports carbon fiber hoods is very good. Also, certain parts can be special ordered in Carbon Kevlar on request, however there is a very long wait time. Since 1996 the company has really grown in size. They have moved several times, each time to a larger warehouse. VIS was the first company to start producing carbon fiber hoods on a massive scale.
VIS Racing Sports 2010-2011 Ford Mustang Stalker Fiber Glass Hood

In fact I was wrong, on that picture we can see that they are similar but not exactly the same, look at the scoops...:

T3RM1N8R 08-19-2011 11:17 PM

Asphalt Cowboy 08-19-2011 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 2699294)
Then the saleen hood is what I like. The VIS looks like a stock hood with the factory hood scoop intergrated into the hood.

Yeah kind of true..., so the VIS Racing might look closer to factory than Saleen...
Look at this awesome photograph, that's Alex Mustang last Saturday (8-13-2011) at the Burnout Show, anyone who is a Mustang lover have to admit this is an awesome shot, no?! And look at that hood... :worship

Asphalt Cowboy 08-19-2011 11:25 PM

Pony Boy, do you have a smaller pic? :laugh:
I've posted that pic also, and I first I thought it was the Saleen Hood, and now I wonder...

fake 08-19-2011 11:35 PM

The Saleen hood just "flows" better IMO.

Colonel Kurtz 08-20-2011 01:41 AM

If $$ is no object... Saleen. This I think is the BEST looking aftermarket hood for our cars.

If it is...... then VIS.

I dont like cervinis stuff.... most of it is copied from prev gen and doesnt flow right with the new body style. Besides.... the venom looks better regarding the "twin" duct hoods.

EDIT: i forgot to mention, I have not had experience with VIS, but a few friends in the past have regarding import hoods. One got one that was perfect shape, and the other got one that had horrible fitment. At least with Saleen you know the quality is top notch.

Asphalt Cowboy 08-20-2011 02:29 AM

True... Saleen is a lot more $$$ but I think I'll go this way.