2012 GT first oil change at 3650 miles..... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

At 8K miles and still factory oil. The computer says 65% remaining. I'll change it and rotate tires before I put it to bed for the season I guess.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
At 8K miles and still factory oil. The computer says 65% remaining. I'll change it and rotate tires before I put it to bed for the season I guess.
How did that happen? Do you live next to an interstate and all your driving is on that interstate? Do you never do any stop and go? Do tell!

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
How did that happen? Do you live next to an interstate and all your driving is on that interstate? Do you never do any stop and go? Do tell!
Exactly. I have one stop sign in my neighborhood then the on ramp to the interstate for a 12 mile shot to the airport (work). Also, a couple of 1000 mile trips. So yeah, mostly highway miles.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.

Rookie

Really great this thread popped up because I was just freaking out...

I am a complete dunce when it comes to checking oil because I've never really owned a car that needed that kind of attention.

I just checked my 2012 GT with 3,500 miles on it and read no oil on the dipstick. I decided to be a good car owner and top it off, so I ran out and bought a couple of quarts. After adding the first quart I checked and read nothing on the stick. I was surprised, but not shocked since it's being broken in. I added a 1/2 quart at a time from there and checked the dipstick each time. I went through 3 full quarts and I still have nothing on the dipstick.

I knew I should be checking all along, but I never had a clue that it might burn through that much! I don't even have the guts to add another quart because I am scared I am going to wreck the engine because I'm doing something wrong...

Question 1: Is this possible?

Question 2: What have I been doing to my engine if the oil has been that low?

You'll notice I posted previously about an engine noise that is annoying me. It's starting to make more sense now...

Ouch...

2012 Mustang GT/CS (Black on Black / 3.55 / MT / HID Security / Comfort / Shaker 1000)
Rookie

Just drove it...noise is gone...

Feeling stupid...appt. to check engine Tuesday...

Dumb dumb dumb...

It must have been delivered low...and i just added my ignorance...dumb...

2012 Mustang GT/CS (Black on Black / 3.55 / MT / HID Security / Comfort / Shaker 1000)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericcd View Post
Really great this thread popped up because I was just freaking out...

I am a complete dunce when it comes to checking oil because I've never really owned a car that needed that kind of attention.

I just checked my 2012 GT with 3,500 miles on it and read no oil on the dipstick. I decided to be a good car owner and top it off, so I ran out and bought a couple of quarts. After adding the first quart I checked and read nothing on the stick. I was surprised, but not shocked since it's being broken in. I added a 1/2 quart at a time from there and checked the dipstick each time. I went through 3 full quarts and I still have nothing on the dipstick.

I knew I should be checking all along, but I never had a clue that it might burn through that much! I don't even have the guts to add another quart because I am scared I am going to wreck the engine because I'm doing something wrong...

Question 1: Is this possible?

Question 2: What have I been doing to my engine if the oil has been that low?

You'll notice I posted previously about an engine noise that is annoying me. It's starting to make more sense now...

Ouch...
Eric, you should definately document this with Deysha, the Ford Customer Care Rep who frequents these boards. Send her a PM. This same excessive oil consumption has been experienced by several folks on this board, myself included.

In my case, I was foolishly lulled to sleep by the "10,000 miles first oil change" claim and didn't check my oil. At 3,108 miles I noticed a faint knocking all the sudden. Checked oil and it was 3 1/2 quarts low. No leak and no oil on garage floor. Took it to Ford. Diagnosis was not pretty. Bearing damage. Now, here comes the even crappier part...

My Ford dealer told me "You need a new engine...but if there is no leak found, it won't be covered by warranty"(!) "Like f-ing bloody 'ell it won't" was my response, or something to that effect.

Long story short, contacted with Ford Customer Care and got a case number. PM'ed Deysha, was called back by a rep, and in the end, dealer replaced the short block and it was covered under warranty. (Thank you Deysha and Melissa).

Here's the wierdest part - after the repair was made, the same service rep told me it was "normal" for the Coyote to burn up to 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. To which I responded..."If that is so, why do so many Coyotes out there burn little to no oil"? All she did was shrug.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page