2012 GT first oil change at 3650 miles..... - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2012 GT first oil change at 3650 miles.....

Pulled only 5.5 qts out of her so a little bit concerned but probably ok.... I have not pushed her too hard and drive mostly freeway miles to work at about 112 miles a day......... Must have spilled 1/2 qt on the floor due to the poor design of the oil filter cover (3 bolts and only drops at an angle). I had checked 2-3 weeks into ownership and was just below the bottom hole in the dip stick so I added 3/4 qt to get to the middle of the stick. Put 8 qts of Motocraft 5-20W and a Ford Racing filter back in... With that cover oil changes will be "bloody" but that's a trade off for 412 horses and a fine looking and handling car.... From now on I think I'll keep her riding high on the dip stick at the top hole. I'll do this again at 3500 miles from now and see where I stand and report back..... Hopefully this oil burn in due to the new engine as I have read here before... I'd say a good practice is to always measure the volume of the oil you pull out.... Regards

Grabber Blue 2012 GT Mustang, 6 spd manual, basic model 300A, no options, charcoal black interior. On order 04/21/11. VIN received 05/26/11. Build date 06/08/11, delivered to dealer 06/21/11. Picked up 6/29 after black stripes installed by dealer. Roush axle backs installed.... Added OEM strut tower brace..... On the road......!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Perfect timing... I just checked my oil (@2600miles) 5 minutes ago and noticed it was low. I guess I will top it off like you did.

I've heard people say the engine tick comes after the first oil change... any sign of it?

2003 Sonic Blue Mustang SVT Cobra - 460RWHP - 480ftlbs

SOLD - 2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 401RWHP SAE - 12.64s @ 114.48mph

SOLD - 2003 Redfire Mustang GT
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011
GT Member

some cars are being delivered low on oil, so take that into consideration and its pretty normal to burn oil during break in, and you guys really need to be checking your oil more often

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang/Canuck View Post
Perfect timing... I just checked my oil (@2600miles) 5 minutes ago and noticed it was low. I guess I will top it off like you did.

I've heard people say the engine tick comes after the first oil change... any sign of it?
Good, keep an eye on it during the first few thousand miles..... Yes, only 5.5 qts came out but I think I had at least 6 in there for awhile... I'd worry more if it was less than 5 qts.... Today, at 8 qts back in and letting her sit for 30 minutes or so after warming her up to driving temp on a test drive I was just below the top dip stick hole. I think that will be my bench mark for now on. Regards

Grabber Blue 2012 GT Mustang, 6 spd manual, basic model 300A, no options, charcoal black interior. On order 04/21/11. VIN received 05/26/11. Build date 06/08/11, delivered to dealer 06/21/11. Picked up 6/29 after black stripes installed by dealer. Roush axle backs installed.... Added OEM strut tower brace..... On the road......!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

No sign of any ticking in the engine and my trans is just fine......... The trans can be a little tricky but you get used to the short gates......... No different from my VW manuals or M21's back in the day......... Regards

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Cool thanks man, is it wierd I don't want to take my car to ford for an oil change??? I'll probably pick up a few quarts this weekend to top it off.

2003 Sonic Blue Mustang SVT Cobra - 460RWHP - 480ftlbs

SOLD - 2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 401RWHP SAE - 12.64s @ 114.48mph

SOLD - 2003 Redfire Mustang GT
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

at 1500 miles i was a little over a quart low. This seems to be pretty consistent with break-in. The longer the car is driven the more oil seems to be burned as the OP experienced 2.5 quarts low at over 3000 miles. I had my dealer do an oil change because if this is a persistent issue i want to have legitimate records documenting the problem. We discussed the oil burning issue and agree to monitor over the next couple thousand miles. Thus far with another 700 miles since the change the level is holding steady. If in fact the engine is breaking-in to that extent, I would not simply add more oil, but get fresh oil and filter in the car. And no matter what ford says about 10K miles between changes, i would never go more than 5K. My two older cars have 170K+ and 130K+ and both still run fine. My coyote has no weird tics, and my MT82 still feels great. The key to making any car last is consistent and conscientious maintenance. Neglect will definately surface with greater affect and quicker in a performance engine running at tighter tolerances. So just keep her fed and clean and she will treat you well for many years.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011
Apprentice

I plan on changing my oil at 1,000 miles and then at 4,000. and every 4,000 thereafter. An oil change is cheap enough and I want to make sure my oil is clean.

2012 GT California Special convertible. Ingot silver with a black roof and interior. GT Strut tower brace, Hood struts, K/N filter and Chrome caps. HID headlight security package and comfort package.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaher55 View Post

Pulled only 5.5 qts out of her so a little bit concerned but probably ok.... I have not pushed her too hard and drive mostly freeway miles to work at about 112 miles a day......... Must have spilled 1/2 qt on the floor due to the poor design of the oil filter cover (3 bolts and only drops at an angle). I had checked 2-3 weeks into ownership and was just below the bottom hole in the dip stick so I added 3/4 qt to get to the middle of the stick. Put 8 qts of Motocraft 5-20W and a Ford Racing filter back in... With that cover oil changes will be "bloody" but that's a trade off for 412 horses and a fine looking and handling car.... From now on I think I'll keep her riding high on the dip stick at the top hole. I'll do this again at 3500 miles from now and see where I stand and report back..... Hopefully this oil burn in due to the new engine as I have read here before... I'd say a good practice is to always measure the volume of the oil you pull out.... Regards
It is not time for my first change yet but many here have suggested using a large ziploc bag around the oil filter to catch the excess and the filter. In ten or so years of changing my own oil, I had never thought of that.

2012 GT Premium 400A 6R80 Kona on Charcoal
PONY Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymax View Post
It is not time for my first change yet but many here have suggested using a large ziploc bag around the oil filter to catch the excess and the filter. In ten or so years of changing my own oil, I had never thought of that.
Wow that is a great idea. Boy did I make a mess when I removed that freaking filter. I think I spent more time cleaning the mess then changing the oil.

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymax View Post

Super idea....! I would have thought of that though, maybe 15 to 20 changes from now.....!

SHELBY GT 350 Member

plastic bag and filter, thanx for the idea!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member

Quote:
I had the the tick before I changed over to Mobil 1 at 700mi, it stuck around a few hundred miles after the oil change, but has since vanished

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
GT Member

^^ LOL you realize modern cars are basically broken in within a few miles of leaving the dealership, and there are cars actually delivered with full synthetic oil now a days, stop believing those myths youre hearing

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
^^ LOL you realize modern cars are basically broken in within a few miles of leaving the dealership, and there are cars actually delivered with full synthetic oil now a days, stop believing those myths youre hearing
Myths? More like out and out lies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page