Motorweek BOSS 302 test review - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMcStang View Post
Is it just me, or the Boss not any faster than the regular GT?
It is just you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
You may be thinking of the 351W which has a 1/2" higher deck height. The same article alludes to 427 cubes, but I doubt that's possible. 390 is certainty within the realm though.
You may be right on the confusion between the 302 and 351. The max recommended displacement for either early or late production 302 is 347ci. Billet steel blocks have gone as high as 364ci with 4.125" bores.

The 351w can safely go to 427ci with most aftermarket blocks, utilizing a 4.125" bore and 4" stroke. Using a stock block bored to 4.030" and 4" stroke you would get 408ci.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

J Orbit

Wow, massive respect for Motorweek for even getting back to you much less re-examining their suspect test results. Kudos to them!

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Don't know where your numbers or math or something got screwed up but the new 5.0 is the larger motor.

Old time 302 was 4947 cc's and the new one is 4951 cc's.
Indeed you are correct; it is a rounding error.

I used the SAE units given from these sites, for the old motor here, and the new one, here. Since the old motor was designed and built with SAE measurements these figures should be used. The new engine, however, is designed and built with metric measurements (I assume), so I should have used those numbers then converted units before rounding. Additionally, the Wiki source has a rounding mistake that I did not catch earlier.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels

Apprentice

Curtis,
We have checked on the numbers from our test session and what others got for the same car and we must conclude our test computer malfunctioned. The time looks right but speed is high. My guess it is closer to 114-116 mpg. No way of knowing exactly. Thanks for catching this and we'll make corrections but unfortunately we cannot pull the show back.
Very best regards,
John Davis
MotorWeek

Damn.. what mileage!
PONY Member

I noticed that too lol. Mpg. I love motorweek. It feels like it's still from 1989 but it's still great somehow.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page