how to prevent rims from getting black so quickly? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

how to prevent rims from getting black so quickly?

I was my wheels ( brembo brake wheel package) and like 3-4 days later they are completely black again...any way to prevent this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Unfortunately the onlyway is to take it easy on the brakes. Drive it as soft as possible. I deal with the same thing with my brembo brakes (pads and slotted rotors)

Just an old ford...

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
PONY Member

There is a product that Armor All Wheel Protectant that seems to work really well for preventing brake dust from even attaching itself to the wheels. Probably Armor All's only good product...

Amazon.com: Armor All, All Wheel Protectant, 7 oz. (78482): Automotive

'00 Mustang V6 -- current
'12 Mustang V6 PP -- former

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMcStang View Post
There is a product that Armor All Wheel Protectant that seems to work really well for preventing brake dust from even attaching itself to the wheels. Probably Armor All's only good product...

Have you actually tried this stuff ? And does itvreally work good?

Just an old ford...

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
PONY Member

I use eagle 1 and it keeps my rims pretty dang clean...

2011 premium GT. Sterling Grey metalic with Charcoal interior. Roush Axlebacks. Redline hood struts. Shelby GT500 style rims. Smoked side markers. Comfort package with GT coupe Accessories #5. Don't Judge me for the accessories pack, I'm a recovering Ricer...

Other rides:
2011 Mazda CX-7 Touring Turbo
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
PONY Member

Wax works as well.

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
PONY Member

i polished mine and clean em often, not much scrubbing necessary

2000 V6

Infinite wishlist
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
PONY Member

Ceramic brake pads may help cut down on the dust

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Don't use the brakes and the wheels won't get any brake dust on them.

The brake dust is a byproduct of the performance brake pads that along with the big rotors and calipers make the car stop so well.

You can put low dust pads on but you will lose some braking performance.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMcStang View Post

I use this product when I clean my rims. It does work very well. Keeps my rims shiney for days. I haven't used other wheel protectants so I can't compare it to anything but I will be buying another can as I just ran out =)
MACH I Member

+1 on the Armorall Wheel Protectant. It's a life savior for PITA to clean wheels. Mine lasts about 2 weeks before I have to reapply. It's like an anti static clear coat, and is so easy to clean!

A guy told me to avoid getting it on your tires, because at freezing it makes the rubber brittle.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member
5.0L Member

check out liquid glass too. Liquid Glass Polish/Finish Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com

Its supposed to make it hard for brake dust to stick, among other things.

2012 Kona Blue GT Prem, 401A (Charc + Blue), MT, 3.73, HIDs, Glass Roof, Electronics, Rear Sense + Security, Rear View Cam.
JHR bracket, FRPP, Steeda Sport Springs, Pro Action Dampers, adj Panhard, J&M Camber Plates

2004 Xterra (Sold) 2000 AltezzaRS (AKA-Lexus IS200 Sold)
"Mustangs are like good looking women. You can spend a lot of money dressing them up, but really they just look better naked."
BOSS Member

Garage
Unfortunately the Brembo cars are subject to a lot of brake dust as people have already mentioned. My guess is that Fords (logical) assumption is that buyers of cars with the Brembo package generally favor higher braking performance. So in order to keep costs down and give the desired performance something has to give. In this case it's more brake dust.

A good aftermarket brake pad will cut down on dust without sacrificing braking performance. Hawk makes some good pads, I used the HPS pads on my '07 and have had their Super Duty pads on my 3/4 ton Silverado for four years. I only drive the truck about 5000 miles a year and wash it maybe twice a year. When it does get washed the cleanest part of the truck is the wheels. They produce very little dust. I had similar results with my first Mustang and I'll probably order some for my '11 before the end of the year.
Apprentice

I too have used the Armor All Wheel Protectant with good results. To this day, the rims are the nicest looking part of my mom's Tempo because of the protectant. The rest of the car looks dirty but the rims stay relatively clean.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Ebony, Charcoal Leather, HID, 19" Machined Rims, Shaker 500, Comfort Package, Remote Start, Rear Sensing Package, GT/CS Valance, Hushpower AB, Pedestal Spoiler, Hood Scoop, Side Scoops, BOSS 302 Side Exhaust, Roush CAI, Custom '5.0' faux gas cap Delivered: 9-19-2011

2002 Mustang GT Convertible True Blue Metallic Traded In: 9-19-11 I'll miss her :-(

DD: 2013 Taurus LTD Ingot Silver, 302A Spec, Moonroof, Navigation, 20" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page