Oil change interval poll - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: How many miles between oil changes?
3,000 miles 68 10.95%
4,000 miles 60 9.66%
5,000-8,000 miles 361 58.13%
8,000-10,000 miles 44 7.09%
When the OLM tells me to or 10,000 miles 88 14.17%
Voters: 621. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 280 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Crazy001
Oil change interval poll

Hey guys,

I have 9,680 miles on my car at the moment, and will be doing my first oil change at 10,000 miles in a few short days. My OLM says the oil life is still at 57%, and after my wife's last Honda I have no trouble believing the system. Ford says a max of 10,000 miles, so that's what I'm planning on doing.

It seems that the majority of people are going to call me crazy for driving 10,000 miles on the factory fill. What intervals do you guys use? Also, how many miles did you have on your factory oil before changing?

2011 Mustang GT Premium,

Gone, but not forgotten:

2005 Mustang V6 Premium, traded 3/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I changed to full synthetic at 4500 miles and will be changing every 5k.

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
PONY Member

Changed to Royal Purple 5w20 @ around 8600 miles with no problems...

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS

MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
I change to sythetic blend from motorcraft every 3k maybe a little early at that, i dont like worrying...and by doing it like that i can have the engine outlast the body, like my dads 93 F150 with 278k miles on the 302 5.0

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My factory fill will be going out at 1200 miles. My experience from looking at UOAs on Mustang and my previous cars is that is the best call.

2012 Mustang GT Premium w/ Brembo || 2011 Subaru WRX Premium
Banned
4.6L Member

I have over 200K miles on my Cobra, it has had Mobil 1 since new, about every 5000 miles I change it...car runs like new to this day even with a supercharger added a few years ago...kinda hate to pull it for the 5.4, but someone will love to have it for a swap/build
GT Member

Every 5K. No way will I change every 10K, never....

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
Hey guys,

I have 9,680 miles on my car at the moment, and will be doing my first oil change at 10,000 miles in a few short days. My OLM says the oil life is still at 57%, and after my wife's last Honda I have no trouble believing the system. Ford says a max of 10,000 miles, so that's what I'm planning on doing.

It seems that the majority of people are going to call me crazy for driving 10,000 miles on the factory fill. What intervals do you guys use? Also, how many miles did you have on your factory oil before changing?
My dealer recommends 7.5K...

2011 3.7L V6 Mustang MT82
Sterling Metallic Gray
Premium package - 18" Wheels
3.31 limited slip differential rear
PONY Member

5k-6k miles. I'm sure I could push the oil longer, but oil is relatively cheap so I don't feel the need to push my oil changes out as long as possible. Although, I'm sure someone will come in here and criticize me for that.

I've been using M1 since my first change. Wix or K&N filters.

You don't care when my car was built or what options it has.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I notice my mpg start to drop every 4800-5000 mi so that's when I change mine.

2011 base v6, 6M, 3.55 gears, custom 2.5" exhaust, 93r tune, 18" 2010 GT takeoffs and 18x10 look alikes on 275/35 nexen n3000, eibach sportlines, amber knight rider (K.A.R.R.) scanner, jlt carbon fiber cai, front strut bar, Shaftmasters 4" DS, J&M LCA's/adj panhard bar, JPC UCA, Koni str.t's, BBK headers/x-pipe/73mm TB, MGW shifter
best 1/4 mi - 13.240 @105.93
BOSS Member

Garage
For those that think they are smarter than the factory engineers. Have you ever considered having an oil sample analyzed to see whether or not you actually need to change your oil at 3000 miles, 5000 miles? Remember that this engine holds TWO GALLONS of oil, 30% more than the 4.6 cars held.

Unless your engine has a lot of miles, you use garbage oil or you just beat the daylights out of the car then I think you're probably wasting your money. I have an oil sample bottle sitting on the shelf in the shop and will be sending out a sample on the next oil change, when the car tells me to change it.
2014shopper likes this.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Although, I'm sure someone will come in here and criticize me for that.
Quote:
For those that think they are smarter than the factory engineers. Have you ever considered having an oil sample analyzed to see whether or not you actually need to change your oil at 3000 miles, 5000 miles? Remember that this engine holds TWO GALLONS of oil, 30% more than the 4.6 cars held.

Unless your engine has a lot of miles, you use garbage oil or you just beat the daylights out of the car then I think you're probably wasting your money. I have an oil sample bottle sitting on the shelf in the shop and will be sending out a sample on the next oil change, when the car tells me to change it.
That only took 10 minutes.

Whatever, it's my money to waste. If you want to put 10k miles on your oil changes that's your prerogative, just like it's mine to only run 5k miles. I do my own oil changes and I'm not a cheap skate, so in the grand scheme of things, $50 of oil every 4-5 months isn't going to break me.

You don't care when my car was built or what options it has.
post #13 of 280 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Crazy001
For the record, I have used Blackstone in the past and will be sending a simple in for oil analysis when I change mine. I'm very curious to see what my factory fill looks like after 10,000 miles!

2011 Mustang GT Premium,

Gone, but not forgotten:

2005 Mustang V6 Premium, traded 3/2007
Apprentice

I did my first oil change at 3k and went synthetic.I would like
to take it to 7 to 8 k but I start getting nervous and twitchy
after 5k.Something we all should keep in mind there is
8 qt. Of oil in there!

GT perf. white 401A
Secr.pkg,comf.pkg,3.55
GT500 A/Bs,Roush billet grill,GT/CS facia w/fogs,oil catch can,
hood struts,Kappa Infinity6829s.Body color side skirts & rear
valance,STEEDA,sports,adj.GT 500 mounts, upper & lower control arms,bumpsteer kit,x11 ball joints,panhard bar,KONI yellows,Omega Godspeed wheels staggered,295/30/20 rear, 255/35/20'front.
Rookie

old timers cant believe that technology is changing. When to change the oil depends on so many different factors. What climate you are in, how hard are the miles you drive, how often you drive and miles. You have to look at the whole picture to determine when is best to change the oil. I know up here in the north our winters are pretty harsh and oil changes must be done with less miles. Don't wait more than a year to change your oil even if you have not hit 10,000 miles or the OLM has not gone off.

2012 Base V6 manual, 3.31 gears, grabber blue ext, charcoal int, quarter window louvers - black, tinted windows. over the top stripe soon to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page