Strange grinding/gurgling noise coming from rear right of 2011 GT when cold - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Strange grinding/gurgling noise coming from rear right of 2011 GT when cold

Has anyone noticed this with their car? My car just started doing this. It's a strange grinding like noise, or like a fluid gurgling noise (almost like boiled water) that comes from the rear right of the car for a couple minutes while it's cold and just been started up.

It happens when the car isn't moving so it's not the wheels or rear axle or suspension. What even moves in the rear of the car besides the driveshaft? Why would it make strange noises only for the first couple of minutes when it's cold?

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011
Apprentice

Condensation in one of the mufflers?

2011 Roush Stage 2 - Red Candy Metallic
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Good guess... it's possible, but I don't think there could be enough fluid to hear that.. or that it would heat up fast enough.

This is immediately after I start the car.

And it's always from the back right, never the back left it seems. Plus it seems it would be impossible to hear fluid doing this over the noise of the muffler itself.

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Also this only just started happening... first time in 10 months of owning the car... making it seem even more weird.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Has anyone noticed this with their car? My car just started doing this. It's a strange grinding like noise, or like a fluid gurgling noise (almost like boiled water) that comes from the rear right of the car for a couple minutes while it's cold and just been started up.
Make sure you mention this to your CSM, Seventh. I see he is still working with you to get these concerns resolved for you. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Make sure you mention this to your CSM, Seventh. I see he is still working with you to get these concerns resolved for you. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
I will... I mentioned it to my service advisor and he's just as confused as I am... there are no moving parts back there at all when the car is stopped. Unless its something to do with the gas tank or fuel pump we're kind of stumped. Its not as big of a deal as the engine ticking so its not too concerning right now. I'm just wondering if anyone has had anything similar.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011
GT Member

Since you took the liberty of starting a new thread, maybe you should address all of your concerns here, instead of destroying new members threads with your hateful comments and dissatisfaction.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
I will... I mentioned it to my service advisor and he's just as confused as I am... there are no moving parts back there at all when the car is stopped. Unless its something to do with the gas tank or fuel pump we're kind of stumped. Its not as big of a deal as the engine ticking so its not too concerning right now.
Oh, OK... I have not heard of anyone else mention it. However, it's good they are now aware so they can work with you in resolving it. Have a good one and let me know if you need me.

Deysha
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011
PONY Member

I had the same problem....then I let her out of the trunk.....

2012 Black GT/CS; steeda ultra lights; koni yellows; max motorsports caster camber plates; fays2 watts link; f14 forgestars 20x9/20x11; nitto invo; borla axle backs; other stuff.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Okay upon further investigation it's a grinding sounding rattle coming from the rear pillar inside the car.. the one that goes down the right side of the rear window. There's something behind the cover that's rattling fairly quietly at certain RPMs where it resonates.

So when the car is starting up, it's at about 1200RPM and you can hear it. Once it's warmed up and the RPMs go down to normal idle, you don't hear it. But you can hear it if you rev it at that RPM. It's not a really loud rattle but it's a bit annoying. I might chase this one on my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page