Offer on a Boss 302 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

The Boss seems really nice and I'm intrigued by it . . . but there's no way I'd pay over sticker. If you want a real laugh, go to Autotrader.com and search nationwide for used Boss 302s. I'm pretty sure every one on there is asking over sticker . . . for a freakin used one !! :kooky:

I know there is no comparison but whenever I hear about cars where dealers are asking over sticker it reminds me of the PT Cruiser and the re-re-re-release of the Ford Thunderbird. The PT Loser had people on a 1.5 year waiting list paying thousands over sticker. For the T-Bird there was a local dealer who paid $10k over sticker. Yes, I said DEALER that paid $10k over sticker so he could sell it for $15k over.

Again, the Boss won't ever be mediocre like the PT Loser or a total fail like the T-bird but there's just no way . . . . If nobody pays over sticker, the prices will come down. If people just have to have one "NOW" then it will continue.

Just laugh and leave. They'll call you back eventually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

well I think I found one in the color and options and both the price for it and mine... All I have to do now is drive and sign... LOL both cars the trade and the purchase site unseen... Kinda grazy huh...
I spent an hour at one of the local dealers and we both had the same atitude... Whoes price was it going take for me to drive it off the show room floor... I drove off not in the boss so we know who won... I told them today what I found and the out the door price... salesman; long pause, I cant beat that...

The kicker... I am giving up a GT/CS for Boss 302... Both are outstanding but both have thier faults...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
well I think I found one in the color and options and both the price for it and mine... All I have to do now is drive and sign... LOL both cars the trade and the purchase site unseen... Kinda grazy huh...
I spent an hour at one of the local dealers and we both had the same atitude... Whoes price was it going take for me to drive it off the show room floor... I drove off not in the boss so we know who won... I told them today what I found and the out the door price... salesman; long pause, I cant beat that...

The kicker... I am giving up a GT/CS for Boss 302... Both are outstanding but both have thier faults...

Congrats dude, will be waiting for the pics. I made the deal on my 5XR site unseen as well. Trade in and bought. Best car buy I have had.

2011 Roush 5XR
#51 of 136

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Am I not a writer and I will never win a Pulitzer prize with this story and if you're bored... here is some bad reading...

This whole fiasco started last month with a phone call from the dealer that I ordered the black car (LakeWood) from in September of 2010... 2011 Black GT/CS FRPP GT handling package added and Kooks Long tube with catted x-pipe (LakeWood)...

Anyhoo, he called and told me if I want, I could order a Boss 302... I sounded interested and then he told me it was between me and four other customers for bidding... my first bid was, 200 under sticker. I know that doesn't sound like much, but in the Denver area they are selling these things at way over sticker... 5 to 10k and well into 35k for the LS
The salesman sort of chuckled and said ok... Well, as it came to the deadline, I went and got LakeWood apprised by the dealer for trade, not bad, but the price that was offered , I felt it was a couple too low for the added goodies..... a couple days later on order date I was told I could get the car for 1K over and I said fine... but you are going to have too cough up more for LakeWood as well... No deal was the reply, and I replied you are right, no deal... The dealer did call me back about an hour later and asked what color I would have ordered and options... I said yellow and there is like four total options you can order on the car, paint color, Laguna Seca, Torsen rear end and car cover...I was told no to LS and yellow is no longer available, so I just spouted out red, black c stripe, Torsen rear end and the car cover to boost profits... I have no idea what they ordered nor do I care ...

So this started the search for Boss under sticker... First I went to the local dealers... A red one, black c strip and with a Torsen rear end... no car cover... Called the dealer to ask what they would let the car go for... the dealer replied, 63100... laughed and said it stickers for 43100... dealers reply was... We can deal on it... and then I was told by the salesman it was number 19... OK that might make it worth a little more, not much... (25 cents) it's not number one or thirty-five hundred... I went to the dealer, looked at the car it had a build date of March 24th... 19 is possible, opened the hood and the intake says 332... first words out of my mouth, where in the hell 19 come from...
Salesman replied its right here in the VIN... the last two digits are 19... anyway... after a good three hours they were not going below 2k over...
So I drive the hell off...
Phase two of my search for the Boss 302 under sticker... Cars.com, AOL.car, yahoo, e-bay, google you name it, I looked there... I stated off with a close radius of a 100 miles... The sad thing... Denver is in the middle of freakin nowhere, so not a lot of choices with-in 500 miles, yes 500 miles...
I started off by surrounding states... good deals on the tri-colored ones... you know the Orange or Red with the white C stripes... 500 to 1000 under sticker for those, I told them I would buy one if the black plastic on the bottom of the car was painted to match the body color, it would no longer be a three colored car... No one would do it... One dealer offered to put side pipes on the car,(it already has them) I didn't say a word... I just asked how much was the undercoating...
So then I went anywhere in the USA(lower 48)... the east coast is full of good places to start but I am not driving that far... Some dealers told me they had some on order and I could get them at sticker (blue w/white), if I put a deposit down... that isn't going to happen... Well in the meantime I craigslisted LakeWood for sale, results... no e-mails no phone calls after a couple of days... I am thinking it has already snowed three times this fall in the metro, nobody is going to buy my car until next spring and by then its value will decline more and the new 2012s wont

I found "Houston" number 1516 Yellow tri metal paint, Torsen rear end and car cover, "Omaha" number 2020 a red w/black c strip and Torsen rear end... Both, first number out the hat from the dealer, 1k under sticker... So I threw a task out there for the dealers to do to earn my business...
My car and a number for the difference... It wasn't five minutes and Omaha (Red w/black C Strip) was all over it and said we can do that... About an hour later Houston (Yellow Blaze) came in with a thousand less with more options
(car cover, metallic paint)...
I think someone hit the wrong button on the calculator... So I called to verify... and sure enough that number was quoted again... LakeWood wasn't an issue because they both offered the same...
This is like Wednesday morning... So I start crunching numbers, throwing economics at miles for trip cost both ways to determine if the Houston was worth the extra 400 miles of road time both directions over Omaha...

Thursday morning during my drive to work I thought one last look... searched the USA again and found 50 Orange cars for sale 25 red cars for sale 9 blue with white c strip and a half a dozen white with black C strip, two yellow blaze...

I plan on buying the car on Friday... I decide on the yellow blaze... I know , I know... not the most popular color but it is the rarest next to white...

I call the dealer, numbers are verified, Houston we are good. I have a lunch appointment with a person I have been doing business with for the last eight years but I haven't seen the guy in a couple or even spoke with him, he lives in north OKC...
At lunch we start catching up and along this lunch meeting we have five other people from the office as well... everyone likes free lunch... Anyway, this car ordeal comes up and he says he has been looking for a mustang for a couple of months now... I tell him I have a deal for you and you have to decide in the next two hours because I am headed to Houston... I catch him up to speed on the hoopla stuff I just told you and I say my trade is yours if you want it, same price they offered me and the tax difference and I have to get Houston on Friday... First words out of his mouth " does it have the coyote engine"...
I was leaving the office for the day so I had my laptop with me, gave him the VIN, he called his banker, asked the loan value, then asked when he can I see it...
We finished lunch went to the parking garage and he was sold... he had a meeting at two, I had to go home and pack... Called me around 330 ready to go, he canceled his flight back OKC and we would just ride together...
I finely pick him up at 6pm or so and we start our 10 hour drive to OKC... About 12 am he makes the comment that its 7.5 hours from OKC to Houston... I need to be there around 2pm, he books me a flight from OKC to Houston...
We get to his house at 4am... his wife has the sleeper sofa made up and I crash... the guy wanted to drive the car until about 1230 but then I took over... he sleeps the rest of the trip... He wakes me up at 7am... nice... three hours sleep on a hide abed...
We go to his bank finalize the deal he gives me cash drives me to the airport, I am off to Houston...
Once I arrive in Houston, the dealer could not send someone to pick me up, 85 bucks later with a cabby that drives with two feet ( brake and gas at the same time)I make to the dealer... 30 minutes later... I am driving off the lot in a new Yellow Blaze 2012 Boss 302 # 1516, Friday afternoon "Houston"... Come to find out, this car was an custom order and the person could not pick it up for whatever reason... This is the car I would have ordered except for the car cover, I have very nice one and an extra car cover now...

On the trip leaving Houston the city of, back to Denver, I call my oldest brother, Mr. bowtie loven Chevy Camaro owner to boast about my purchase... after about two minutes he had me talked into driving 275 miles out my way to come show him my newest Camaro eater... No, we did not race, at that time the odometer had less than 400 miles on the it when I arrived at his house... He loved the car and only said good things about it... He is my brother and hates Fords if he didn't like it he would speak up...
Then he gave me a ride in is low 11 second car bragging about how he pulls his front wheels... He can't make it run in the 11s if he knew how drive it would probly run 10s... love ya bro...

I arrived home last night at 10pm after being lost in Dallas both Friday night and Saturday night, no compass, no sync, no GPS and no map..... 1600 miles on the new car...

Was it all worth it... Let me start off with the negatives of the deal...
No HID headlights, No fog lights, It has cloth manual seats, no compass, no remote sensing review mirrors, yes the headlight behind me are bright, No sync... I cannot play my loaded 36gig flash drive... No satellite radio, doesn't have the receiver...
The positives...
Torsen read end, adjustable suspension, selectable steering modes (Standard, Sport or Comfort) 19x9 front wheels 19x9.5 rear wheels... Boss engine... and the option for the track key if I want to reduce the drive train warranty by 40 percent...
I do have the side exhaust uncapped, This is LakeWood on steroids and crack.
My future mods... I have the 85mm TB and CnL CAI I bought for LakeWood to put on here... Then to the dyno for AFR... I still need an aluminum drive shaft and the Track Key...
Outside of that... the only thing on the car that I would change, would be the oil, every 3000 miles...

Sorry, I do not have any pictures, I was back in the office at 6am this morning... I did attach a picture and it is it identical twin... And the yellow looks 100 times better in person...

build date 08/02/2011...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	143414  

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member
S197 Member

You won't be winning any writing awards but it was a good read for me.

Congratulations on the purchase. You'll have to let us know after a few weeks what your likes/dislikes are at that time.

2011 Kona Blue GT
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

I gave Houston a good wax last night and shot some photos this morning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_0091.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	143638   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0086.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	143639   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0085.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	143640   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0082.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	143641   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0083.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	143642  

Name:	000_0092.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	143643  

PONY Member

wow im jealous man, i wanted that yellow so bad but couldnt wait the order time. she looks amazing, glad u are enjoying ur buy

12' RR GT | FORD RACING | JBA | CERVINI | ROUSH | KONI | H&R | 3DCARBON | C&L | AMRs | BREMBO | CDC
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The car looks awesome bro. Good choice and an excellent story. I love to read stuff like this, even if it wont win a pulitzer
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vSPARXv View Post
wow im jealous man, i wanted that yellow so bad but couldnt wait the order time. she looks amazing, glad u are enjoying ur buy
I bought it at TomBall Ford...

PONY Member

Hard to follow the story at points, but when I saw the pics of your car, I suddenly knew everything I needed to know!

Awesome car and I love the color. If I had the money, I'd love to get a Boss as well. As it stands, I have what I like to consider a mini-Boss (at least as far as the 11/12 MY cars are concerned)--base model with the brembo brakes. Anyway, good job holding your ground on the price and not rushing at the first offer that comes your way.

Is this a daily driver or something that gets used as a weekend toy/track car?
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Hell of a story John. Love how you sold LakeWood to that dude a few hours before heading to Houston. haha it was meant to be!

And now you have a SICK Boss for us to all envy. I bet the 85mm TB with the CAI make it run even more beastly (if it were even possible!) ...Nicely done sir. Nicely done..

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page