SHELBY GT 350 Member

Question Jnagy

why shockproof instead of MTL?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Tried MTL and didn't help the shifting one bit. Also some folks on here said the shockproof is better in Getrags than the MTL. I figured What the Hell. So far it seems to smooth it out quite a bit but still I do not think anything will help the left turn issue.

2011 v6 PP Race Red
Flowmaster Super 44's
K&N Drop In
3.73 Rear End
Axle Exchange Driveshaft
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnagy75 View Post
Replaced my QDC with redline lightweight shockproof and shimmed my shifter today.The qdc was horrible in my transmission. Helped the cold shifting but as it warmed up it made my warm shifting awful as it is so thin. Seems to shift alot better in a straight line now,very smooth but will know more in the next few days if it helps the left turn grind. As far as the shimmed shifter goes I don't see how this could help as it seems in order to rotate farther over the reverse lockout part on the stick would need to be shaved a bit also. I will say that there is so much play in the linkage it is ridiculous. Just a problem waiting to happen. It seems a better connection to the car other than the shifter bracket is also needed.
The idea of shimming the shifter has nothing to do with the reverse lockout mechanism. The lockout is a solid part of the lower shifter assembly(bowl) and moves with everything else when you shim the shifter. The reason to shim the shifter(originally for Ross09) was to bring the shifter and internal transmission assemblies back into alignment to allow bind-free movement. He found from the factory his shifter would not allow the handle to move far enough towards 1st and 2nd to allow a clean shift.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
The idea of shimming the shifter has nothing to do with the reverse lockout mechanism. The lockout is a solid part of the lower shifter assembly(bowl) and moves with everything else when you shim the shifter. The reason to shim the shifter(originally for Ross09) was to bring the shifter and internal transmission assemblies back into alignment to allow bind-free movement. He found from the factory his shifter would not allow the handle to move far enough towards 1st and 2nd to allow a clean shift.
I never really thought about it before, but my stock shifter had very little movement to the left to access 1-2 gates. The new MGW definitely has more throw to the left. That being said, I never had any problems with grinding with the stock shifter.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
I never really thought about it before, but my stock shifter had very little movement to the left to access 1-2 gates. The new MGW definitely has more throw to the left. That being said, I never had any problems with grinding with the stock shifter.
I never had any issues shifting in my car either, especially 1-2. However after performing the shim mod I could feel more room or freedom to move the shifter towards first gear.

If the reason those people with rough 1-2 shifting is because their shifter will not allow them to physically move the shift lever over far enough, then the shim mod is a fairly simple check to a possible solution.
GT Member

Quote:
After my car was delivered two summers ago, I took it back the very next day and told them the shifter wasn't aligned directly in the middle. In first and second it was much closer to the edge than 5th - 6th. They said it was normal at the time... which was funny, because they had never seen a 5.0 in their lives! That's something I'll never forget. It was pretty funny. I went out and tried the 1-2nd turn and it doesn't lock out per se, but I do need to shift differently. I never knew this before because I generally don't shift during a turn... bad track habit perhaps... unless it is a long sweeper, but my 1st - 2nd shifts are generally after or before going around a very slow speed corner because it's a 3.73.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I never had any issues shifting in my car either, especially 1-2. However after performing the shim mod I could feel more room or freedom to move the shifter towards first gear.

If the reason those people with rough 1-2 shifting is because their shifter will not allow them to physically move the shift lever over far enough, then the shim mod is a fairly simple check to a possible solution.
The proposed fix makes perfect sense (if in fact the alignment is the issue), and a couple of shim washers are a heck of a lot cheaper than a new MGW shifter. Would be cool to get together a tech weekend and try it out on a few problematic cars. I know you already made the offer once, but i am sure there are a couple of problematic cars in the NoVa area.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
GT Member

Quote:
The proposed fix makes perfect sense (if in fact the alignment is the issue), and a couple of shim washers are a heck of a lot cheaper than a new MGW shifter. Would be cool to get together a tech weekend and try it out on a few problematic cars. I know you already made the offer once, but i am sure there are a couple of problematic cars in the NoVa area.
And pictures and a vid.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Grimace427

Let's try it again this Saturday, 10am. I will check the shop schedule tomorrow and post up again.

Here are the pics I promised last week. Not the best as I was shooting with one hand and trying to work with the other. I used 1mm(0.040") shims on this try just to get a sense of the difference in feel.

MT82 Locked out of 1st and 2nd during left turn-tn_dsc_0007.jpg

MT82 Locked out of 1st and 2nd during left turn-tn_dsc_0010.jpg

MT82 Locked out of 1st and 2nd during left turn-tn_dsc_0011.jpg

MT82 Locked out of 1st and 2nd during left turn-tn_dsc_0013.jpg
FordService

Hello members,

If you are having a concern with your vehicle and have not brought it in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis, please make an appointment with them. Then PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Have a good day!

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page