Make non functional hood scoop functional. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Make non functional hood scoop functional.

I have a hood scoop on my stang and i want to make it fully functional. I know that it can be done but i want to know if anyone has done it, just so i can see the way that they have done it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
I think you'd have huge plumbing issues. You have to get the air through a filter then the mass air sensor and all that. There's not a lot of air pressure at normal speeds to "super charge" your engine so unless you plan on driving at 150mph everywhere I wouldn't bother.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011
PONY Member

Just get a Shaker, it is on my to do list one day! Funny thing is I just like the way it looks, could care less if it's functional.

2012 GT Premium,Ingot Silver, MT82, Brembo Package, 3.73,MGW Shifter,GT500 Spoiler,GT500 A/B's

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooyorkad26 View Post
I have a hood scoop on my stang and i want to make it fully functional. I know that it can be done but i want to know if anyone has done it, just so i can see the way that they have done it.
Isn't going to happen unless you plumb pretty good. It would be pretty expensive to do it right, and you wouldn't have any gains. Your airbox isn't picking up from a necessarily "hot" area by any means. There will never be a ram effect anyways. You wouldn't increase performance.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

It depends on your definition of the word, "functional". If you mean as a ram air, you are better off going to an aftermarket hood. If you mean as a vent for engine heat, go for it. Simply drill one or two 1 inch holes under the hood scoop and remove the plastic insert. This will serve no different then the vents in the GT500 hood.

You will also need to remove the hood pad inside and cut a small hole for the air to enter/exit. This is very easy as I had to do this when I installed my VIS hood. Use Gorilla tape around the areas in the hood pad you cut. I had to experiment with various tapes in order to find one that hold up to the engine heat.

I just replaced my entire hood with the VIS Stalker hood and love it. If you make any mistakes on the drilling, I am selling my factory hood cheep.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
It depends on your definition of the word, "functional". If you mean as a ram air, you are better off going to an aftermarket hood. If you mean as a vent for engine heat, go for it. Simply drill one or two 1 inch holes under the hood scoop and remove the plastic insert. This will serve no different then the vents in the GT500 hood.

You will also need to remove the hood pad inside and cut a small hole for the air to enter/exit. This is very easy as I had to do this when I installed my VIS hood. Use Gorilla tape around the areas in the hood pad you cut. I had to experiment with various tapes in order to find one that hold up to the engine heat.

I just replaced my entire hood with the VIS Stalker hood and love it. If you make any mistakes on the drilling, I am selling my factory hood cheep.
what this guy said,

Also op look around some ppl in '05 - '09 have done it.

its easy.

remove the pad on the engine side.
the scoop is screwed into place by 8x 12mm bolts remove them

measure the area that you want to cut (always smaller than the scoop)
cut it (cover the engine or you will get aluminum shaving every where.
remove the scoop front "grill"
done.
the benefit is blown air INTO the intake mani and (maybe cool it).
the idea is to get the air OUT from under the hood.

lok at this video and you will see that you to get the air OUT not in

Boss 302S Wind Tunnel Testing - YouTube

got it now?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page