Water in Borla's - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Borla re-designed the Touring axle-backs a year ago, after numerous customer issues with drone. I was one of those with issues(my original post should still be up in the Tech forum).

In the pic, the muffler on the right were my original set, which droned. Borla replaced them with the mufflers on the left. The pic shows how much bigger the replacement muffler is from the original.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks, I cant believe I didn't see the difference the first time I looked at it.

2012 GT/CS, race red, auto, HID/Security pkg, Comfort Pkg. BAMA Tune, Borla "Touring" axle backs, Heartthrob cat back with "H" pipe, LED Dome lights, Pioneer TS-D6802R front speakers, GT500 rear mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats, Back window louvers, Tint, Chrome accents on radio bezels, K & N, Redline hood struts, JLT catch can, Remote start, Eibach Pro springs, Koni SRT's, BMR panhard .
PONY Member

My flowmasters came with the holes drilled, not sure why no one else would do this also.

GT Member

My Ford Racing A/B's(49 state legal) have no drain hole. No drone but maybe water gets blown out on the 7k romp every now and then.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
Apprentice

Well, in the case of the Roush ABs, the water would not come out (I removed them and turned them every which way to get the water to drain.)

2011 Roush Stage 2 - Red Candy Metallic
Apprentice

My ridiculous experience with Borla Touring! Glad to hear it is not just me...

I had the Borla Touring for my previous V6 I owned and had the same problem--in a big way! There were cups of moisture in my mufflers! I emailed at length with Borla (both Chris Bass and David Borla), and videos to boot. I have a pretty lousy perception of Borla because of the experience. The whole thing just showed how little attention to detail they had while building the Touring exhaust.

First they put out a horribly droning exhaust for the first design that I cannot believe they even considered them marketable. Even after the redesign, they failed to drill proper weep holes. This results in the collection of excessive moisture affecting sound and acceleration quality. Borla told my that my problems with sound and moisture were not due to the design of the muffler. Really? Now others experience it also. There is no doubt they got it wrong with this second design too. Borla told me that if I didn't like it, just to sell them in the aftermarket to someone else, stating "were not really sure what caused the condensation buildup" . Nice, huh? They are unsure of the cause, but happy to keep my money and pass the problem off to another unsuspecting individual. No, I won't sell them to anyone, but I'll probably give them away. I filed a complaint with the BBB and also put a poor review on American Muscle. I have since traded my v6 for a GT, realizing I was never going to get that V8 feeling unless I had the V8--awesome car by the way although I ate it on the trade! Here is a copy of my review, it is a compilation of several emails back and forth with Borla. Call Chris Bass at Borla and let him know of your issue. Trust me there are several more of us out there that just don't know because they haven't removed or shaken their mufflers.

American Muscle Review:

"Let’s start with the positive: Borla Touring for the V6 looks awesome with nice polished 4.5” wide tips and it does fit well once you get it into place. The sound is nice and deep initially. Now the reality: I ordered the Touring exhaust late August 2011 based on the marketing video. American Muscle as usual processed and shipped the order quickly—always a great experience with AM! My mufflers arrived just a few days later and I put them on my car, a 2012 Mustang V6 with 2k miles. Borla shipped me the 12” long 1st generation Touring muffler that had a faulty design with incredibly bad low RPM drone. So bad that I can’t believe Borla even considered to sell these to customers! Before I ordered, I called Borla and they insisted there were no more of the faulty design in inventory, yet somehow I got one. Borla quickly remedied this by sending out the 15” redesign.
The installation instructions were far from accurate or complete. First it is a 13MM socket (not15MM). Second you have to cut the factory metal tab at the joint with a hacksaw or rotary cut wheel to remove the factory mufflers (no mention of the tab). Third, the Borla hangers are so long that you must remove the factory muffler bracket to install because there is no way to get around the suspension panhard bar. If there is some special angle to get these in otherwise, Borla omits it in the instructions. After I installed the 15” redesigned mufflers, I was thrilled! They sounded great and just as advertised; quiet at highway speed, nice and deep when you decide to get on it. The BIG problem: after having these on for ten days, the sound quality got worse and acceleration was poor. When I couldn’t stand the gurgly bass reverberation sound anymore, I decided to go back to my factory mufflers. I removed the Borla’s and that is when I discovered excessive water condensation in the passenger muffler. To give an idea; think at least a cup of water sloshing around inside the muffler! I removed the Borla driver’s side muffler and the same thing…water sloshing around inside the muffler. This was not a normal amount of condensation! I live in a very humid climate and this car is not a daily driver, but there is no way this is normal. After consulting with the Borla representatives and showing them videos of the water, they admit this level of condensation definitely affects sound quality and is not normal, but they refused to offer a refund!
Summary: I have read reviews of the Touring exhaust where buyers are happy with the redesigned mufflers, but it certainly wasn't my experience. Buyer beware of poor instructions, poor inventory control, poor design for humid climates and a “million mile” warranty that really doesn’t exist. They do look great though if that is all you want."

2015 Red GT convertible

Last edited by candyredpony; 11-13-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Apprentice

And another thing, why can't Borla design the hangers for these things to slide in the brackets from the reverse like so many other aftermarket muffler manufacturers do? Sure would have made the removal and installation much easier. Getting the mounting bracket off takes some doing because the factory mufflers cover the bolt and you have to use a box wrench. The muffler inlet will not go around the pan hard bar. A socket will eventually fit onto the bracket bolt with a lot of pressure on the muffler to push it to the rear of the car. Just another example of how little attention to detail they paid to the design, and the instructions were well-- inaccurate and incomplete. Venting over!

2015 Red GT convertible
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up on your problem candyredpony. I sent an email Saturday to Mr. Borla after pauljoseph clued me in to the same problem he had but have not heard anything back from them as of yet. I will hold off doing anything to the mufflers for a little while in case I hear back from them.
I had the same issues with the hangers also but just chalked it up to me not holding my head at the "right" angle while trying to install them. That was easily overcome but does seem odd that everyone else installing different brands of axle backs just pop them in and out.
I really like the sound when their cleared out so hopefully I will get this resolved and be a happy camper.
I don't want to come off as a whiner but just wanted to pass on what I had found-lesson learned to search the forum a little better before buying.
I appreciate all the help and info from you guys and if I hear back from Borla I'll update.

2012 GT/CS, race red, auto, HID/Security pkg, Comfort Pkg. BAMA Tune, Borla "Touring" axle backs, Heartthrob cat back with "H" pipe, LED Dome lights, Pioneer TS-D6802R front speakers, GT500 rear mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats, Back window louvers, Tint, Chrome accents on radio bezels, K & N, Redline hood struts, JLT catch can, Remote start, Eibach Pro springs, Koni SRT's, BMR panhard .
Apprentice

You are not whining, you are simply expecting an expensive high end performance muffler actually perform as intended! If not, a consumer would expect a company to fix the problem. Good luck with Borla. My experience was you won't get David Borla to answer quickly. He is pretty busy and it seems he is more associated with marketing and sales. Chris Bass is the direct customer contact. His e-mail is [email protected] or call his direct line at (805)986-8600 ExT: 212.

Good Luck!

2015 Red GT convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page