2011/12 mustang gt or 2008/9 gt500 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Any Suggestions? 2011/12 mustang gt or 2008/9 gt500

i have a few questions. i had a 05 gt was very nice had kids had to get rid of it at the time. now im able to get a new stang. first i looked at a 04 mach 1 supercharged,then a terminator. then the new 5.0 came out.. i really like it but scared because of all the trans issues. i skipped the terminator because of all of the problem with engine ticks. how good is the 2011/12 stang?? will the 13 have a differnt trans or the same.. im thnk for the price of the gt there are alot of nice gt500's on the market for what a new 5.0 cost and if i can pully and tune a 500 it should make great power on the other side the 5.0's from what i see are keeping up and even beating the gt500's on the drag strip so confused..... can you guys help me. its alot of money and i want the best stang for the price.... i refuse to buy dodge or camaro!!!!!

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
319 hp 333 tq rearwheel!!
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011
GT Member

i say you get a 2012 gt and get a KB later.. you'll have the same power as the gt500 and it'll be cheaper and nicer

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011
Apprentice

The interior and handling is better in the 5.0. It is also very close to the 07-09 GT500 up to about 45mph or so.

On the other hand with the shelby you get a beautiful car that everyone would want to run up and see. Its also a stronger car but there are no guarantees either way that one or the other wont have problems. No change in the 13GTs tranny (which i think its its achilles heel) but then again, some of the older GTG500s seemed to require frequent clutche replacments (i think they fixed that some where in the 09 period).

Personally, i prefer the newer interiors and better handling of the newer mustangs over the guts and glory of the older shelbys..but that is going to be a deeply personal decision.

Best advice, go drive some of each and talk to REAL people who own both.

GT/CS 3.73s, Nav/comfort pckg.
Mods: Roush Axleback, Airaid CAI/Bama Tunes (i am always changing the tune). In the market for a shift kit and lowering kit.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Have a '12 GT Premium Coupe w/the MT82 and absolutely love it. Check my sig and album pics. 15K miles in the first 5 months. No issues to speak of.

Many threads on the transmission but they're not an easy read. Many more of us happy with it than those who're not. I know that if I don't shift as I quickly learned, I can miss and cause issues.

This clutch pedal must be fully depressed and the strong centering spring on this 6 spd xmssn's shifter must me understood. It centers perfectly between the center pair of gates (3 and 4). As these gates are narrow, I've learned I must let the spring take me to 3 and 4 then push forward or pull back with an open grip, and also when shifting into or within either outside pair of gates (1 and 2 or 5 and 6), to properly counter this spring.

I'd be hesitant to buy a used performance car and would want to ensure beforehand it wasn't abused.

'13 Models have just been revealed and you may consider simply ordering one. This year they stopped building 11's in January and began cranking out 12's in March.

You could likely find a new 11 for a great buy, or 12 for a good one.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...2-mileage.html

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
Banned

GT500 with a Tremec for the win!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
Banned

You skipped the terminator because of the engine tick? Lol you do know that every car has a "problem" right? Oh and by the way the terminator is one of the strongest and most dependable mustangs under power ever created! your never going to find a mustang that is perfect so just by what you like and live with it and enjoy it an when your done with it get rid of it and move on..... Life is to short to worry about a problem people complain about on an Internet forum!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson212 View Post
GT500 with a Tremec for the win!
John and the whining for the loss!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page