The end of the S-197? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

The end of the S-197?

I've heard rumors for a while now that the mustang is due for a complete remodel, so i just thought id come on the forums and see what everybody thought. At this point the S197 platform has been out for almost 7 years, and i do love what the new edge stangs are coming to be. I would like, however, to see some ideas for future revamps. I'm partially curious as to whether ford will try to make it look like a damn future car like some of their concepts, but im praying it isn't so. With the way the 2013 GT500 is looking, it will be one hell of a machine. I'm just curious as to whether the S197 will be replaced anytime soon or not. What do you guys think?

1989 Lx hatch, 2011 Sterling grey metallic, 10 hole Chp wheels. Bbk cai, Gt40 heads, 1.6 RR's, Gt40 intake, full exhaust, more bolt on goodies. Daily driven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
PONY Member

From what I understand, the s197 will be replaced when the 50th anniversary edition comes out... Say goodbye to the s197!

2011 premium GT. Sterling Grey metalic with Charcoal interior. Roush Axlebacks. Redline hood struts. Shelby GT500 style rims. Smoked side markers. Comfort package with GT coupe Accessories #5. Don't Judge me for the accessories pack, I'm a recovering Ricer...

Other rides:
2011 Mazda CX-7 Touring Turbo
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Lx5oh View Post
I've heard rumors for a while now that the mustang is due for a complete remodel, so i just thought id come on the forums and see what everybody thought. At this point the S197 platform has been out for almost 7 years, and i do love what the new edge stangs are coming to be. I would like, however, to see some ideas for future revamps. I'm partially curious as to whether ford will try to make it look like a damn future car like some of their concepts, but im praying it isn't so. With the way the 2013 GT500 is looking, it will be one hell of a machine. I'm just curious as to whether the S197 will be replaced anytime soon or not. What do you guys think?
They said that the next generation Mustang will not continue the retro look. It'll look less retro than it does now, supposedly it'll (possibly) look more "European" or "Futuristic (or straight up, less retro)."
It'll lose about a couple hundred lbs (around 300 lbs I think) which people said will finally make it a "real" sports car (and perhaps lose the Muscle Car title) since it'll lose the extra heavy weight, according to some people.
It'll have independent suspension replacing the solid rear axle.
It'll be "smaller" and "lighter" than the current Mustang.
This new generation Mustang will be sold around the world.

Another little fact: Ford might bring back the SVO as an EcoBoost 4 cylinder turbocharged Mustang.

This is what I've heard about so far. I'm afraid of what the design will look like. I've loved the S197s since they first came out.. And now it's going to be gone. Now I know how all the "SN-95-or-die" owners felt. :/

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
(or straight up, less retro)." :/
Greeaaat. That's exactly what i was hoping i wouldn't hear. I may be biased because i drive an '89 fox, But that has nothing to do with it. I grew up around my dad's '55 chevy del rey, bored big block 454, blown, cammed, the works. The way i see it, True american muscle has always meant big, badass fire breathing v8 cars that are meant to be made into anything from a sleek daily driver to a loud and lopey car that scares anything in its path. Save the Irs for the european guys who love to see who comes around the corner the fastest, and don't even get me started on the futuristic thing. At that rate we'll end up comparing Et's based on who's electric car pumps out the most voltage. I'm not hating on guys who love a good handling car, but my love for a solid axle v8 car that'll lift the front wheels clear off the ground will never fade.

1989 Lx hatch, 2011 Sterling grey metallic, 10 hole Chp wheels. Bbk cai, Gt40 heads, 1.6 RR's, Gt40 intake, full exhaust, more bolt on goodies. Daily driven.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
Rookie

I thought the 2010-11-12 are s-10's?

2011 race red, brembo, 3.73, bassani ab's, boss 302 splitter, custom RTR stripes, roush side splitters, gt 500 spoiler
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow roll 5.0 View Post
I thought the 2010-11-12 are s-10's?
Technically the 05-13 is all on the S197 platfrom. You are right though, the 10-12 is called the SN-10.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
PONY Member

They've had this bodystyle since 2005. Can't keep the same thing forever. Time to move on.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
They said that the next generation Mustang will not continue the retro look. It'll look less retro than it does now, supposedly it'll (possibly) look more "European" or "Futuristic (or straight up, less retro)."
It'll lose about a couple hundred lbs (around 300 lbs I think) which people said will finally make it a "real" sports car (and perhaps lose the Muscle Car title) since it'll lose the extra heavy weight, according to some people.
It'll have independent suspension replacing the solid rear axle.
It'll be "smaller" and "lighter" than the current Mustang.
This new generation Mustang will be sold around the world.
sounds alot like the 370z. If these statements happen to be true...I am glad I got a mustang now.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011
Apprentice

In addition to all the changes mentioned above, realize that will translate into a whole new platform (it just has to). SN197 is not code for "all new retro mustang", it is the code assigned to the platform that underpins the 05-13s.

So to answer your quesiton, Come April 2014, yes the SN197s are gone.

GT/CS 3.73s, Nav/comfort pckg.
Mods: Roush Axleback, Airaid CAI/Bama Tunes (i am always changing the tune). In the market for a shift kit and lowering kit.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
The 2005 style was a tribute to the late 60's with modern dechromed and flush look. It brought my interest back along with a new generation of enthusiasts. It also spawned retro style from Dodge which has been a welcome treat. The retro look can't go on forever though because it will just get old looking. As long as they don't build a Mustang II or make it look like a Probe I'm sure the new car will be fine.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
GT Member

itll be fine, each progression has better than the previous so Im fine with it

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
PONY Member

I'm very excited about the new Mustang.

I think it's known around the industry that the Mustang, at least in America is considered the litmus/watermark for affordable sports. The move to retro was a move I think was in the making - Nissan bringing back the Z, Charger/challenger etc.

Now we are entering a new phase. People are tired of retro. Why can't America come up with a new original sports design? I really think a 'modern' mustang will re-ignite the brand and truly bring the nameplate into 21st century (not that it isnt already).

2011 GT 5.0 Performance White | 6SPD MT82
Borla | Corsa | 3DCarbon
PONY Member

The new kids growing up may be tired of retro, but there are a lot of us that are'nt kids any more....nothing wrong with retro..........Plum
BOSS Member

I just hope they make it aggressive looking. The 94-98s were just so boring.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I am 65 years old and have a 2011 GT,I bought the car because it took me back to my first Mustang a 1966 GT 350,I live in South Florida and as I look around on the streets and the MANY car shows we have down hear, all I see is the older folks with the new Mustangs, I think the reason is price @ insurance, as the economy and wages continue to slide the younger folks will have a harder time getting there hands on the newest models out.Mustang numbers soared upward when the RETO model came out in 05,I think it would be a mistake to remove all the retro form the new model stang for 2015.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page