thought you guys would get a kick out of this - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

thought you guys would get a kick out of this

Camaro ZL1 Chief Engineer says "You're Welcome" to Ford Mustang fans

made me chuckle and think he can't be serious with his remark that Fords still playing catch up since the ZL-1 i track ready from factory

2011 base v6, 6M, 3.55 gears, custom 2.5" exhaust, 93r tune, 18" 2010 GT takeoffs and 18x10 look alikes on 275/35 nexen n3000, eibach sportlines, amber knight rider (K.A.R.R.) scanner, jlt carbon fiber cai, front strut bar, Shaftmasters 4" DS, J&M LCA's/adj panhard bar, JPC UCA, Koni str.t's, BBK headers/x-pipe/73mm TB, MGW shifter
best 1/4 mi - 13.240 @105.93
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
Apprentice

I welcome comments from GM like that. Only gives us better rides. I'm all for American muscle, regardless of brand.

'11 5.0 SG 6MT Brembo 3.73 Borla S-Type Catback
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0PhilGT View Post
I welcome comments from GM like that. Only gives us better rides. I'm all for American muscle, regardless of brand.
agreed, if dodge can get on the jenny craig plan it'd be that much better

2011 base v6, 6M, 3.55 gears, custom 2.5" exhaust, 93r tune, 18" 2010 GT takeoffs and 18x10 look alikes on 275/35 nexen n3000, eibach sportlines, amber knight rider (K.A.R.R.) scanner, jlt carbon fiber cai, front strut bar, Shaftmasters 4" DS, J&M LCA's/adj panhard bar, JPC UCA, Koni str.t's, BBK headers/x-pipe/73mm TB, MGW shifter

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
Banned

Ya car enthusiasts like it but the 2011+ forums are full of mustang fanboys that think they know everything. No other section/year of mustang is that way but for some reason ever since the 2011 the bandwagon jumpers from all over flocked to the mustang....that is also part of the reason there is so many whiners/complainers here because they don't know about mustang and have never owned other mustangs so they don't know what to expect. I love cars period and love what chevy,dodge,ford are doing with v8 rear wheel drive modern muscle and am not to blind/ignorant to see and respect them all.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
Ya car enthusiasts like it but the 2011+ forums are full of mustang fanboys that think they know everything. No other section/year of mustang is that way but for some reason ever since the 2011 the bandwagon jumpers from all over flocked to the mustang....that is also part of the reason there is so many whiners/complainers here because they don't know about mustang and have never owned other mustangs so they don't know what to expect. I love cars period and love what chevy,dodge,ford are doing with v8 rear wheel drive modern muscle and am not to blind/ignorant to see and respect them all.
Believe it or not...but its called "A friendly rivalry"

Pretty radical, i know

Just an old ford...

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
PONY Member

I for one am a big fan of the ZL1. And the new GT500. And a large variety of other cars. I can not wait for the showdown between these two.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm going to reiterate what I said when Ford posted this link on Facebook before you brought it up here...

Technically speaking, Ford is/never was playing catch-up, if you think about it, the Base, Z28, SS, etc etc etc, are essentially the V6, V8, Saleen and Shelby's of Mustangs... What's more comparable to an SS than a Saleen? The Shelby would be/is better than the SS, look at the Rolex and Continental Tire series where the Mustangs race the Camaros... Mustangs are Dominating and the Camaros had to do all the stupid little upgrades... It's not fair to compare an SS Camaro vs a GT Mustang because they BOTH don't run the same displacement That is why you have to look at the 5.8L Shelby to compare... See the ZL1 is a 6.2L doin 580hp, the Shelby stock 5.8L (A WHOLE 1/2 L SMALLER) is pushing 650hp, who's catching up to whom?

2002 V6 Oxford White (Traded in for $5300 off the 2014)
2014 GT Ruby Red, planned 1st mod, MGW Shifter.
Biggest Pet peeve, People stealing the parking spot I'm waiting for.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
GT Member

I just don't understand how Ford is playing catch-up. Retro Mustang in 05, retro Camaro in 09. Hmmm 4yrs later. Sounds like catching up to me. Also, Ford didn't have to kill off the Mustang and bring it back several years later. Yes the Camaro is more high tech, but who cares. These are Muscle cars and all that matters at the end of the day is who finishes first. And with the performance difference its obvious who that would be.
Not a fanboy here as i'm glad the Camaro returned, along with the Challenger from Dodge. They all have their merrits. But in the end someones gotta win

LLR0717
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm all about American muscle. I'm tired of us getting our butts kicked by cars from all over the world. I'm a product of the 80's which was the beginning of the "revival" of good old fashioned American horsepower. I loved em all, too-The Mustang(s) (GT and LX 5.0), the IROC-Z Camaro's and Trans-Am's, the Corvette's were pretty sweet. Oh and who can forget the litlle engne that could in those sinister looking Buick Regal Grand Nationals and the dreaded GNX (I still have nightmares about drivin my best friends LX 5.0 and getting my doors blown off by that GNX from down the street-I can still hear the shriek of that turbo in my head 22 years later, lol).

Everyone of of those cars were cool as hell in their day, but every last one of those cars drew a "yeah, but" from people around the world. Yeah they go pretty well in a straight line, but my (insert foreign car name here) will accelerate almost as fast, top out faster, will turn and stop much better. MY (insert foreign car name here) would crush every one of those on a race track.

Fast forward to today. Our pony cars have almost 200 more hp more BONE STOCK than they did then. In 89, if you had an LX or GT with 412 hp you were probably the king in your town. Now, your are just gettin started. And the big 3 seem to be all in now which is a great situation for all of us. I really the love and respect all the great cars, it's just that I'm partial to Mustangs.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Banned
4.6L Member

catch up? GM is still using a 60s era engine in that car, and let's not forget who was bailed out and on the verge of bye bye...now who is really catching up?
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
I just don't understand how Ford is playing catch-up. Retro Mustang in 05, retro Camaro in 09. Hmmm 4yrs later. Sounds like catching up to me. Also, Ford didn't have to kill off the Mustang and bring it back several years later. Yes the Camaro is more high tech, but who cares. These are Muscle cars and all that matters at the end of the day is who finishes first. And with the performance difference its obvious who that would be.
Not a fanboy here as i'm glad the Camaro returned, along with the Challenger from Dodge. They all have their merrits. But in the end someones gotta win

LLR0717
Dodge came out with the retro (in name only) Charger, which spawned the whole Ford retro look for the Mustang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
catch up? GM is still using a 60s era engine in that car, and let's not forget who was bailed out and on the verge of bye bye...now who is really catching up?
This is the exact reason they say Ford is playing catch-up, cause they believe their LS1 engine was soooooooo badass that it didn't need to be changed for such a long time, and I accept that it was, but you have to think, they are talking about an SS (top of the line, best of the best, etc etc etc) vs the Mustang GT, our 2nd line of trims (1st of the v8) meaning IF they were to compare it soulda been the base v8 Camaro (RS I believe?), if you want a fair fight, we have the (in my oppinion) in order

v6, GT, Boss, Saleen, GT500 (Shelby)
they have
v6, RS, IROC, Z28, SS
or something like that...

Our GT500 is what they should be comparing to, and if that is so, they we have been kicking their asses for years!

I'd like someone lay it out, what trims do the Camaros have in all from the base to the creme of the crop then list the ones from the Mustangs, let's lay them all out and see what stacks up to what...

2002 V6 Oxford White (Traded in for $5300 off the 2014)
2014 GT Ruby Red, planned 1st mod, MGW Shifter.
Biggest Pet peeve, People stealing the parking spot I'm waiting for.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to aiminglow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draghon View Post
Dodge came out with the retro (in name only) Charger, which spawned the whole Ford retro look for the Mustang...
actually just checked that out. the new charger began concept in 2005, after the retro themed mustangs were already released

2006 Mustang GT: 5-speed (was auto)
Show: Hood scoop // Side Scoops // Louvers // GT500 Spoiler // Rear diffuser insert // Stripes // Mustang trunk letters // Interior goodies.
Go: JLT intake // J&M LCA's // J&M UCA // Strut tower brace // FRPP Front Lower Control Arm Brace // Pro 5.0 Shifter with MGW blue striped shift ball.
Flow: Flowmaster American Thunders.
Stereo: Pioneer DEH 2200ub.
Oh and of course, the lead foot mod
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Before I bought my 2011GTCS I got into the market with an open mind,I looked at the Challenger SRT8,liked it but not enough to buy,found it quite heavy with quite a bit of body roll, figured stiffer springs would improve things, a close family friend lent me his for 4 days while he was in England,so I'm speaking from a lil more than a test drive experience here!
Next up was the Camero SS,my cousin's girlfriend let me have hers for a week,she has a Boxer S for a second ride,and knew I was thinking of getting a "muscle car" so that worked out perfect for me.
On the outside, the SS looks good, very clean lines,all that stops though when I stepped inside,There is nothing I personally like about the interior,very tub like,real high belt line,terrible rear vision,with blindspots galore... the trunk opening is a joke,the trunk itself is a fair size,but getting things in there,say if Im heading up to the cottage is impossible,Pass on the SS!
Everything about the Mustang GTCS was right on the money,body lines,gobs of instant power,awesome interior great trunk space with a wide opening,and classical mustang heritage and overall good looks!
Love this car,which is why I bought it days after I test drove it,I knew I could live with this ride for years to come!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
Perception is reality to the "closed minded". Seriously, we whine and complain because their are problems that Ford will not admit. Also, not my first stang, and it may or may not be my last stang. BTW, thank you GM!

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

i'll admit this is my first mustang and will never have purchased any prior years simply because they were underpowered. i was one of those import drivers who would say my nissan/honda (whichever i had at the time) would smoke most american cars straight line or road course simply because it was fixed up and proven time and time again. late 90's/early 2000's (they weren't stock so i wasn't comparing base to base).

now fast forward 10+ years i needed a change and started looking at gas mileage and power. always wanted a trans am but we all know pontiac tanked so that was out. looked at a camaro first, sat in it and couldn't see out the rear so i didn't even bother trying to do the test drive and that was out. challengers came out and i loved how they sounded so went and test drove it, handled like crap and wasn't looking for a cruiser... plus gas mileage sucked so that was out. drove the mustang... first and foremost i could see out of it, it handled perfectly compared to the dodge (the saleman damn near $#!t himself when he told me to punch it and quit driving like a granny) and it got excellent gas mileage. traded in my 08 altima that day started working on it a month later

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page