Finally found the right shifter parts configutation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Finally found the right shifter parts configutation

Finally found a combination of shifter parts to make up my 400a to 401a shifter conversion. I like the 400a package with the exception of the stock shifter. American Muscle chrome shift ball, Grabber Pony polished long shift collar and PartsCheap Ford 401a shifter boot. I was NOT going to pay $185 for the OEM 401a knob. Some pics of the final result. Know I just need to tear it all down and install the MGW shift kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Danng.. I like it!!

What was the final cost from start to finish? Curious!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
|Black/Black 400a | Brembo | 19"Gunmetals| DMH Low Profile Electric Cutouts | HID Projectors | DDM Tuning Slim 5k Headlights | DDM Tuning Slim 5k Foglights|Roush Eibach Pro Kit | Smoked' Vinyl Overlays |
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
PONY Member

Looks Good

1989 LX 5.0 T5-Hers
1996 GT 4.6 T-45-His

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
Banned

That ball with the tiny neck looks terrible IMO. You should have just got a grabber pony adaptor and a aftermarket ball!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
GT Member

I like how it looks. But after one hour in the summer sun that mothertrucker will be so hot your palm will fry!

Pretty sharp-

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
That ball with the tiny neck looks terrible IMO. You should have just got a grabber pony adaptor and a aftermarket ball!
This is the Grabber Pony long adapter with an aftermarket chromed ball. I did consider the Grabber Pony adapter for the 400a shift boot with the wider neck. This is the setup I had before when I just mounted the ball. I did not like the interface between the ball and the boot, your fingers get caught between the ball and boot and I think that looks dumb. We all have our preferences. If anyone is interested I still have the 400a original boot, aftermarket carbon fiber pattern boot (vinyl material) and 400a OEM shifter.

Standard mount with included parts and 400a style boot:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5.0 View Post
Danng.. I like it!!

What was the final cost from start to finish? Curious!
Ball: $54.99
Chrome 6 Speed Shift Knob (11-12 Mustang) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping! - Free Shipping!

Collar: $28.95
GrabberPony.com - Long Bullitt Style Aluminum Jam-nut/Boot Adapter - 2010+ Mustang and Bullitt (Powered by CubeCart)

401a Boot(Not leather!): $32.10
Mustang Leather Shift Boot

Total: $116.04 plus tax and shipping.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
PONY Member

Looks good, im thinking about switching to the 401a too.

2012 GT Premium/Race Red/6MT/3.73 gears/Borla S-type

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
PONY Member

Thanks for the links!!!
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimorpheus View Post
Finally found a combination of shifter parts to make up my 400a to 401a shifter conversion. I like the 400a package with the exception of the stock shifter. American Muscle chrome shift ball, Grabber Pony polished long shift collar and PartsCheap Ford 401a shifter boot. I was NOT going to pay $185 for the OEM 401a knob. Some pics of the final result. Know I just need to tear it all down and install the MGW shift kit.

It looks great! I have the 401a and yours looks really close!

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimorpheus View Post
This is the Grabber Pony long adapter with an aftermarket chromed ball. I did consider the Grabber Pony adapter for the 400a shift boot with the wider neck. This is the setup I had before when I just mounted the ball. I did not like the interface between the ball and the boot, your fingers get caught between the ball and boot and I think that looks dumb. We all have our preferences. If anyone is interested I still have the 400a original boot, aftermarket carbon fiber pattern boot (vinyl material) and 400a OEM shifter.

Standard mount with included parts and 400a style boot:

that is simply because you used the wrong adaptor! here is my grabberpony shift knob with the proper adaptor for the wide mouth shift boot. I also have a black adaptor. You could have saved yourself $100 and just got the proper adaptor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	392.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	615.1 KB
ID:	144721  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
that is simply because you used the wrong adaptor! here is my grabberpony shift knob with the proper adaptor for the wide mouth shift boot. I also have a black adaptor. You could have saved yourself $100 and just got the proper adaptor.
Wow, really? Let's try this AGAIN. I DO NOT LIKE YOUR INSTALL.:nogrinner I DO NOT LIKE THE LARGE 400A STYLE SHIFT BOOT WITH A BALL ON TOP. JUST LIKE WHAT YOU HAVE. Are you OK with that? Do I have your permission to NOT like your setup. What did I say in my earlier post. Everyone has THIER OWN preferences. Are we done here.....
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

looks great wait until you add the MGW:kooky:
I had a white grabber pony shift knob with the black collar before my MGW.The good thing about the MGW is it came with both a fine/corse pitch so you can use the stock or MGW knob

I have the white knob now but also a black one if I want to change it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m5lp-1201-08-MGW-MT-82-Shifter-Tech-Inspection.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	144778   Click image for larger version

Name:	shift3.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	144779  

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
GT Member

looks pretty nice, as said that thing is gonna be cold and hot in the two extreme seasons of the year

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla8 View Post
looks great wait until you add the MGW:kooky:
I had a white grabber pony shift knob with the black collar before my MGW.The good thing about the MGW is it came with both a fine/corse pitch so you can use the stock or MGW knob

I have the white knob now but also a black one if I want to change it up.
The grabberpony adaptor is sweet! Perfect fit....yours looks good with the white knob and black adaptor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page