Steve McQueen Foo Fighters' "There goes my hero," - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Steve McQueen Foo Fighters' "There goes my hero,"

I stumbled across this video and really enjoyed it First time I saw it, but maybe old to you guys.

An "IN" Show tribute to....Steve McQueen (Foo Fighters' "There goes my hero," & Ford's Mustang) - YouTube

2011 V6 MCA Ingot Silver with Stone Interior
Auto 3.31 rear, Dynomax Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N Drop in Filter. # 337 out of 2,023 produced.

Rev on The Red Line.....Foreigner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
Banned

Yeah, that's a cool one. Love the not-so-subtle Field of Dreams reference too. .

Seems like I read once there were two Bullitt cars used in the movie. One was a 289 C code used for most of the 'tame' scenes and one with the 390 used for all the stunt driving scenes.

McQueen did all his own stunt driving too.
One of my favorite scenes is during "The Great Escape" where he rides up the hill and jump the chain link fence with that motorcycle. Awesome!

-HD

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
Apprentice

Great video. Steve Mcqueen did not do that jump though, it was done by Bud Ekins, he did not do because of insurance issues.

1989 Notch 306, fordge pistons, fulley ballanced, x303 heads, e 303 cam, cobra upper and lower intake, 5 lug conversion, 2003 SVT rims, SCT Chip

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Steve McQueen is cooler than everyone of us.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Awesome, makes me want to buy a farm! :kooky:

Any good paving contractors out there?

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'd guess most know that's the Mustang commercial Ford did for the debut of the '05. Paid the McQueen estate an undisclosed amount to be able to do it.

Can't find all info on it, but I seem to remember it was shown only once, during the Superbowl and I mentioned to those I was watching it with that I'd wager we'll never see it again.

McQueen was a Marine. Got in trouble several times early on, once fairly seriously when he shacked up with a girlfriend and went UA (unauthorized absense) for a couple weeks. He resisted arrest and spent over a month in the brig.

He decided to quit screwing around and serve properly. Was credited for saving the lives of a handful of guys during some type of experiment up in the arctic and later honorably discharged.

Tragic early death at 50 after an operation in Mexico. He'd been diagnosed with Mesothelioma and the doc's up here told him he was terminal and there was nothing they could do.

Raced cars and bikes. Was also a pilot, a conservative and married to Ali McGraw for ~ 5 years.

One of my very favorite actors. When you look up the word 'cool' in the dictionary, there's no definition, just a picture of him.

If you've not seen Bullitt, The Great Escape, The Magnificant Seven, The Sand Pebbles or Nevada Smith, I'd highly recommend them all. Seem to remember another I really liked...Tom Horn?

Here's the commercial.

Steve McQueen Mustang Commercial - YouTube

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
Yeah, that's a cool one. Love the not-so-subtle Field of Dreams reference too. .

Seems like I read once there were two Bullitt cars used in the movie. One was a 289 C code used for most of the 'tame' scenes and one with the 390 used for all the stunt driving scenes.

McQueen did all his own stunt driving too.
One of my favorite scenes is during "The Great Escape" where he rides up the hill and jump the chain link fence with that motorcycle. Awesome!

-HD
I seem to recall he had to play the part of the German soldier chasing him, too, since they could not find a stunt driver to match his skill level.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmav76 View Post
Great video. Steve Mcqueen did not do that jump though, it was done by Bud Ekins, he did not do because of insurance issues.
Well... I'll be damned! I suppose you're right. I always thought it was him.
The Great Escape (1963) - Trivia - IMDb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page