Proof Oil Catch Can is a MUST! - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
I wouldn't call that a "smart ass statement". It's reasonably accurate - the amount of oil that would mix with the air/fuel mixture is not enough to have any significant effect... hence a "few whiffs". Besides, the idea that oil would lower the octane is fallacy. In fact, oil in the fuel mix slows burning so it has the effect of raising the octane.

It's your car and your money so if it gives you piece of mind then by all means do it. It's no different than people who religiously change their oil every 3K miles - it's certainly not necessary but it's piece of mind.

On the other hand, the fact that it caught some oil proves only that it does what it's intended to do not that it's a good or necessary thing. For example, I could build a catch can to capture condensation from the exhaust and it would fill up with water fairly quickly. In that sense it would be working but that doesn't mean it did anything useful.

So WhiteBird00, are you saying we should add a quart of oil in the gas tank with every fill-up??

What weight to octane rating do you suggest as well...

Now that was a smartass statement!

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
So WhiteBird00, are you saying we should add a quart of oil in the gas tank with every fill-up??

What weight to octane rating do you suggest as well...

Now that was a smartass statement!
Yup, it was.

That reminds me of a car I had in the '70s that I would pull into a gas station (full service) and tell them to "check the gas and fill up the oil". It sometimes looked like I was spraying for mosquitoes but it never suffered from engine knock.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Not a big fan of those..... If it was neccessary Ford would have put one on as original equipment in my opinion. Just my 2 cents of course..... Now, I did put a strut tower brace on my car.... I don't think it really does anything on my base GT either and I can't feel a lick of difference in the car but I sure think it looks cool....! Regards

Grabber Blue 2012 GT Mustang, 6 spd manual, basic model 300A, no options, charcoal black interior. On order 04/21/11. VIN received 05/26/11. Build date 06/08/11, delivered to dealer 06/21/11. Picked up 6/29 after black stripes installed by dealer. Roush axle backs installed.... Added OEM strut tower brace..... On the road......!

GT Member

......The war of the catch can continues

GRABBER BLUE 2012 Mustang Coupe V6 Premium|Pony Package*

Performance: Airaid Intake, SCT SF3 Tuner, BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, LethalPerformance O/R H-Pipe, FRPP Sport Axle-backs, JLT Oil Separator, DriveShaftShop Aluminum Driveshaft.
Suspension: Boss 302 Strut Brace, Steeda: Chrome Moly LCA's, Adj.UCA, Adj.Panhard bar, Ultra-Lite Springs, Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, Heavy-Duty Caster Camber Plates & Trunk X-Brace.
Wheels/Tires: Staggered 19" Forgestar Wheels with Nitto Invo Tires.
PONY Member
S197 Member

It amazes me how many people here don't think they need one just because Ford did not include one stock, or that it isn't necessary with a properly working system. Oil will collect and crud up the intake. That is a known fact for any engine, not just the Coyote. Manufacturers don't include them because it won't cause any problems during the warranty period and they want to save money. But it does affect performance. A little. Eventually. So why not use one? I like my engine to be clean, so I use one. I am rather surprised that a Fiesta would come with one and the Mustang would not, though.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post
It amazes me how many people here don't think they need one just because Ford did not include one stock, or that it isn't necessary with a properly working system. Oil will collect and crud up the intake. That is a known fact for any engine, not just the Coyote. Manufacturers don't include them because it won't cause any problems during the warranty period and they want to save money. But it does affect performance. A little. Eventually. So why not use one? I like my engine to be clean, so I use one. I am rather surprised that a Fiesta would come with one and the Mustang would not, though.
I've owned several cars before this one that were well into six figure mileage. None of them had catch cans and none of them had any issues with "oil crudding up the intake".

Look, if buying a little metal can makes you sleep better at night, by all means. I personally think its a waste of money, to each their own. I can find better car things to blow $100 on. Like has been said, it's just like the guys that change their oil at ridiculously low intervals - it's "piece of mind" but it's really not necessary. No conspiracy theories from arm chair engineers are going to make me think otherwise.

For the sake of argument, let's say the conspiracy theories are true. More than likely I'll have moved on to something bigger and better by the time this thing hits six digit mileage, so what do I ultimately care anyway?

You don't care when my car was built or what options it has.
GT Member

Someone should set up TWO of the catch cans in a row to see how much oil vapor the first one misses. I bet that will be a real eye-opener. hahahaaa

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
PONY Member

I bought mine for the looks... Oh it catches oil that's good I think?

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
Banned

Just another way companies make money off Auto cunsumers. Just like those tornado turbo things that give you more power and throttle body spacers that also give more power, both of which have sold thousands.
GT Member

i think someone should save the oil the catch can collects and show the amount after 10k miles, 20k miles etc just to give a visual representation of how much oil was prevented from gumming up the intake.

there are a lot of people claiming that a catch can is a scam or not necessary but let's put it this way, there are millions of other "useless" mods that cost A LOT more than one of these.

that being said, high compression motor like this one = higher crankcase pressure and greater importance of having a can to collect the oil residue. just because the car didn't come with one is not a valid reason to not put one it at all. when ford builds this car, they build it to meet minimum reliability standards and save costs, etc.

even turbocharged cars don't come with catch cans from the factory but go browse their forums and look at how many experienced owners highly recommend them. i think enough people have purchased them for the 5.0 and observed that they are in fact worth owning due to the oil collected in relatively short driving intervals compared to past mustang engines that had considerably lower compression ratios.

moral of the story, to each their own. if you think it is a useless mod, then don't buy one, nobody is forcing you to.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
i think someone should save the oil the catch can collects and show the amount after 10k miles, 20k miles etc just to give a visual representation of how much oil was prevented from gumming up the intake.

there are a lot of people claiming that a catch can is a scam or not necessary but let's put it this way, there are millions of other "useless" mods that cost A LOT more than one of these.

that being said, high compression motor like this one = higher crankcase pressure and greater importance of having a can to collect the oil residue. just because the car didn't come with one is not a valid reason to not put one it at all. when ford builds this car, they build it to meet minimum reliability standards and save costs, etc.

even turbocharged cars don't come with catch cans from the factory but go browse their forums and look at how many experienced owners highly recommend them. i think enough people have purchased them for the 5.0 and observed that they are in fact worth owning due to the oil collected in relatively short driving intervals compared to past mustang engines that had considerably lower compression ratios.

moral of the story, to each their own. if you think it is a useless mod, then don't buy one, nobody is forcing you to.
Not really a scam-just not necessary. The OP said a Must. We disagree. Like I said before, 10k on my '08 GT500 with added CC-a few drops of oil--big deal. None of the 07>12 GT500's which run much higher pressure than a normally aspirated motors have CC's. You can't tell me that a "necessary" part on a limited production super muscle car with 600hp and go for over $60k would be omitted. Friends, its called advertising, create a need where there is none..

2012 GT/CS 'Vert. Triple Black
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post

But has having a catch can proven to increase the longevity on the engine?

I am not arguing with you, but there are plenty of cars, with turbos, coming from the factory that do not have catch cans

A few years ago I was looking into getting a mazdaspeed3....if you head over to the MS3 forums....there are few there that believe a catch can is worth it and quite of few of them are heading towards the 6 figure mark.

I dont think having one is a bad idea, but in the same regards...I dont think having one is necessary.

It would be interesting to see test results on if a catch can does increase the longevity, but most likely, it will never happen.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
GT Member

The pseudo-science in this thread is KILLING ME.

The compression ratio has ZERO to do with pressure in the crankcase. And that's only the most recent of literally hundreds of facepalmworthy comments in this thread.

I'm not even going to bother responding to them all, there's just too many. If you think the little cans look cool and you don't mind dumping them from time to time, more power to ya.

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I put LCA's on a car that Ford built to eliminate wheel hop. It has less wheel hop than stock now.
I lowered a car that Ford built so it would handle better. It handles better than a stock Mustang now.
I added a tune program to the ECU that Ford built to get better performance. It has better power than stock now.
I put a catch can on a motor that Ford built because I do not want oil gumming it up over time. Like at the drag strip or autocross when the car is turning 7k off the line, or my 3rd hot lap in a row. My car gets run hard. It ain't for looking pretty on a nice Sunday drive. It hits the rev limiter. It shreds some tires.
Thank God I didn't get the expensive Boss oil cooler (yet), Think how foolish that would be, because "it doesn't really need it". Factory is just fine, no issues right....Leave the stock brake pads on too.... Come to think of it, drum brakes on the rear should be good for most of "us".
Any of the experts here care to explain why a NA 1.6 120 HP 4 cylinder with an 11:1 compression ratio that Ford made would have an oil separator on it?
It certainly doesn't need it, right?

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sorry guys, those "catch cans" are to only make $125 off of you in the aftermarket and serve no purpose whatsoever...... If Ford had thought it was a good idea they would have put one in, period....! Go ahead, take out that .25 oz of oil and think you have saved your motor and all sorts of problems associated with it.... I'll go 100k miles without one (me and most other Mustang drivers....) and change my oil every 10K and we will be in the same place at the end...... Not a big deal guys, and don't get all caught up with it...... If it was important, it would have came with your car as an OEM part....! Regards

Grabber Blue 2012 GT Mustang, 6 spd manual, basic model 300A, no options, charcoal black interior. On order 04/21/11. VIN received 05/26/11. Build date 06/08/11, delivered to dealer 06/21/11. Picked up 6/29 after black stripes installed by dealer. Roush axle backs installed.... Added OEM strut tower brace..... On the road......!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page