Proof Oil Catch Can is a MUST! - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Pressure remains the same. It just collects oil from the vapors in the intake system created by blowby (oil escaping past the rings) in a high compression engine.2011 5.0's have a high 11:1 compression ratio. BTW- 08 Shelby's have around an 8.5:1 CR.
Side effects: Deposits on intake valves, sludge in the
intake manifold and throttle body, and aforementioned octane effects.
Here's the qualifier: If you do not drive your car hard, you really won't need one. Actually, Ford is banking on this and a majority of the time they're right. So, in fairness, it really isn't a MUST HAVE if you don't hammer the car. Hell, even if you do tear up the track, you don't HAVE to have it, but in a lot of peoples opinions, you should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
not trying to inflame...trying to learn. Does the can releive pressure in the intake? Besides making it easier for the engine to breathe what is the other advantages, I understand the octane part but don't understand why oil is bad (clog injectors maybe?) Plz learn me.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
So, again, why does the 2011 1.6L Fiesta motor have the oil separator in it?
The reason is, the small motor HAS to be revved all the time to get the car to move. It lives it's life at a much higher rpm level than most Mustangs. It's cruises at nearly a thousand rpm higher than the 5.0 at 60 mph. Same 11:1 ratio, but more blowby from harder everyday use. OR!!! They just put it in there cause it doesn't really need it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaher55 View Post
Sorry guys, those "catch cans" are to only make $125 off of you in the aftermarket and serve no purpose whatsoever...... If Ford had thought it was a good idea they would have put one in, period....! Go ahead, take out that .25 oz of oil and think you have saved your motor and all sorts of problems associated with it.... I'll go 100k miles without one (me and most other Mustang drivers....) and change my oil every 10K and we will be in the same place at the end...... Not a big deal guys, and don't get all caught up with it...... If it was important, it would have came with your car as an OEM part....! Regards

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
You know, come to think of it, I don't really NEED my Brembo's. Damn the waste of money!! I coulda bought 160 catch cans!

GT Member

You're all wound up. Take a deep breath man. You're not gonna end up with a gummed up intake or a blown engine - you've outsmarted everyone else! Kudos.

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Damn, didn't 't realize I would set off a battle. Either way I'm happy to know that oil will not be in my intake.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
Damn, didn't 't realize I would set off a battle. Either way I'm happy to know that oil will not be in my intake.
haha I did. Anything thats speculative, can set off a battle...its all in good entertainment tho.

Try asking if an intake is worth it.....

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page