Paint on hood starting to bubble - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned
 
nsadams87xx's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 3,124
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0N1N View Post
Ok, so I got a call from the dealer yesterday evening. Ford has authorized the "repair". So, that sounds good. But then the dealer proceeded to tell me that neither Ford or the dealership will guarantee the work and that it will most likely happen again and then I will have to pay for the repair.

How can they not guarantee their work?

Just contact Deysha. The hoods are aluminum so there's no rusting invovled; it's contaminated paint. New properly prepared paint shouldn't do that again.

nsadams87xx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Apprentice
 
Imbatman70's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: New haven county
Posts: 101
 
I have it on my 11'. Just saw it the other day above passenger head light. Really pissed me off as the car is only used 6-7 months of the year and I am stupid anal about keeping it clean and polished and waxed but it seems to be a defect so I guess that doesn't matter.

Imbatman70 is offline  
FordService
Guest
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarhighstang View Post
I also have the hood issue and brought it to the dealer. I was told to wait for their call when they get a response from Ford. That was 2 months ago and still no call back.Oh and the bubble showed up in only 1 year and 2 months of ownership. Keeping a close watch what Ford will do to fix this wide spread issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 white s197 View Post
Count me in too. 2012 GT 17,000 miles and bubbles along the front edge. This really sucks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr's stang View Post
Yep, I've got the same bubbling in the same places. Both sides of the hood, along the front edge, above the headlights. Will show the dealership in a couple weeks at next oil change and get the ball rolling on rectifying it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbatman70 View Post
I have it on my 11'. Just saw it the other day above passenger head light. Really pissed me off as the car is only used 6-7 months of the year and I am stupid anal about keeping it clean and polished and waxed but it seems to be a defect so I guess that doesn't matter.
Hi guys,

If you are experiencing this concern; please bring your vehicle in to your dealership and speak to your Service Manager about getting it resolved. Let me know the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0N1N View Post
Ok, so I got a call from the dealer yesterday evening. Ford has authorized the "repair". So, that sounds good. But then the dealer proceeded to tell me that neither Ford or the dealership will guarantee the work and that it will most likely happen again and then I will have to pay for the repair.

How can they not guarantee their work?
All repairs come with a 12 months or 12,000 miles warranty, R0N1N. Please have your CSM clarify this for you and your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Just contact Deysha. The hoods are aluminum so there's no rusting invovled; it's contaminated paint. New properly prepared paint shouldn't do that again.
Thanks for the mention, nsadams87xx!

Deysha
 
PONY Member
 
RedWings's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 900
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0N1N View Post
Ok, so I got a call from the dealer yesterday evening. Ford has authorized the "repair". So, that sounds good. But then the dealer proceeded to tell me that neither Ford or the dealership will guarantee the work and that it will most likely happen again and then I will have to pay for the repair.

How can they not guarantee their work?
I don't know how it works around you, but around here some (if not all) dealers send their body/paint work to privately owned body shops. The body shop will usually guarantee their work.

So what I'd do is find a body shop that does good work and guarantees their work. See what Ford dealers use them. Then go to that dealer to handle it. That is what I'll do in the future for any body work I need done through Ford.

But again, that is just the way it works around here (or at least the dealers I've used).
RedWings is offline  
Rookie
 
R0N1N's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 43
 
My dealer has their own (rather large) body/collision repair shop. Ford authorized them to repair the hood, not replace. I dropped it off and they assured me they will do the best job possible. I should not be able to tell that a repair was done.

I'm told the repair will be covered for as long as I still have the bumper to bumper warranty.

Edited to add that this dealership is where I purchased the car and have had all service work done. They have always done good work and demonstrated a professional attitude.

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, Charcoal Interior, 3.55 gears.
Ordered: 4/25/2011 VIN: 6/23/2011 Build Date: 7/21/2011 Delivered: 7/26/2011
R0N1N is offline  
PONY Member
 
RedWings's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 900
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0N1N View Post
My dealer has their own (rather large) body/collision repair shop. Ford authorized them to repair the hood, not replace. I dropped it off and they assured me they will do the best job possible. I should not be able to tell that a repair was done.

I'm told the repair will be covered for as long as I still have the bumper to bumper warranty.

Edited to add that this dealership is where I purchased the car and have had all service work done. They have always done good work and demonstrated a professional attitude.
Make sure when you pick it up you look very closely at the repaired area. Make sure you are in a good lighted situation and you look from multiple angles. Down the hood. Up the hood. Side to side. Crouch down. Look for tiny bubbles in the clear. Look for runs in the clear. Look for blemishes in the paint. Look for "paint lines" where they may have taped off the car and overspray made a line.

Find out how they painted it. Entire hood? Just the front and blended in? Entire hood and blended in the fenders. Then look at all those areas and the transition areas.

If something doesn't look right, deny picking it up until they get it fixed. The clear/paint should look perfect. No swirl marks. No dust under the clear. Paint color matches perfect. No overspray on other panels/windows/wheels.
RedWings is offline  
Apprentice
 
Greg2011's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Albany
Posts: 60
 
I was waxing the car this weekend and discovered the dreaded bubbles on the front lip of the hood. I'm way out of warranty to get this fixed. Its too bad as I've been pretty meticulous with keeping it clean.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Ingot Silver, Automatic, 401A, Comfort Package, 19" painted rims.
Greg2011 is offline  
PONY Member
 
RedWings's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NoVA
Posts: 900
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2011 View Post
I was waxing the car this weekend and discovered the dreaded bubbles on the front lip of the hood. I'm way out of warranty to get this fixed. Its too bad as I've been pretty meticulous with keeping it clean.
Doesn't matter how clean you keep it. This happens from the inside out. I too keep my car spotless and protected. Yet I still had the bubbling issue.
RedWings is offline  
Rookie
 
Mustang25's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
 
Same issue with my 2011 mustang. Ford won't pay to have fixed since outside 3 year 36 months. Quotes from 3 body shops want around a grand to repaint entire hood and blending. Everybody says it will be back in about years. I decided to try linex. They sanded down lip and underside added a self etching primer and linex all for $156.00.
Looks great and should last longer.
Mustang25 is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JBert's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 9,165
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang25 View Post
. . . . I decided to try linex. They sanded down lip and underside added a self etching primer and linex all for $156.00.
Looks great and should last longer.
Who is Linex?

And that is for the underside where it does not show only; does not include re-paint of the top of hood where it shows, right?

thanks

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
JBert is offline  
Rookie
 
SlowJim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0N1N View Post
My dealer has their own (rather large) body/collision repair shop. Ford authorized them to repair the hood, not replace. I dropped it off and they assured me they will do the best job possible. I should not be able to tell that a repair was done.

I'm told the repair will be covered for as long as I still have the bumper to bumper warranty.

Edited to add that this dealership is where I purchased the car and have had all service work done. They have always done good work and demonstrated a professional attitude.
This is BS that they are covering your hood and not other peoples'.
SlowJim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1