Raxiom smoked headlights w/ hid conversion from stang mods - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Raxiom smoked headlights w/ hid conversion from stang mods

Ok so I decided to put the smoked raxiom headlights in the car. I also got the HID conversion from stang mods. First just want to say it looks great. However, I am smelling plastic burning! So I went to feel the housings and they were hot as all get out. Evidently it is too hot. My other concern is they are not bright at all. Night time driving basically is crap with them.

So couple questions, anyone else done this and have a work around? Will capping the bulbs maybe make it not so hot? Any other solutions to actually get these lights bright at night?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
PONY Member

Their have been a few complaints about these. Most saying that a wire gets burnt and a light goes out. U might want to check ur wires.

12' RR GT | FORD RACING | JBA | CERVINI | ROUSH | KONI | H&R | 3DCARBON | C&L | AMRs | BREMBO | CDC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

What kit did you buy? 35w or 55w?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
What kit did you buy? 35w or 55w?
This is the problem that most are having with the burning or melting issues. I know some people on here did the conversion themselves on here but went with a 35w and it was bright and ran much cooler. I think the 55w is too hot for those housings.

Borla ATAK Axle-backs, GT500 rear valence, JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, Black Roush shift kit/Knob, Roush Quarter Window Louvers, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, 15% Tint All Around, Blacked out rear end, Blue LED Dome Lights, Silver Horse Racing Blue LED Push Button Start, AMR Charcoal wheels 255/45/18 and 275/40/18 Nitto NT555
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaries83 View Post
Ok so I decided to put the smoked raxiom headlights in the car. I also got the HID conversion from stang mods. First just want to say it looks great. However, I am smelling plastic burning! So I went to feel the housings and they were hot as all get out. Evidently it is too hot. My other concern is they are not bright at all. Night time driving basically is crap with them.

So couple questions, anyone else done this and have a work around? Will capping the bulbs maybe make it not so hot? Any other solutions to actually get these lights bright at night?

Thanks.
I already went through 3 sets of Raxioms. I had the melted connectors and the Halo lights not functioning AND I did not even install HIDs. I had these problems with the Halide bulbs!!!!

I purchased the Raxioms so that I would have headlights that worked while I got my OEM headlights retrofitted with real projectors, and circuitry, and 55W HIDS. Cost was $580.00 from sickhids.com. This included a lot of custom modifications.

Here is a youtube video of my headlights

2011 Mustang Retro-Fit with Switch-Backs - YouTube

We blacked out the reflectors and pulled the amber turn signal plastic lenses off. Brian installed an LED bulb that is white (Crystal) when running, but turns amber when you hit the turn signals. This job was very professionally executed. My only complaint was that it took so long to complete. But that is because Brian does not charge an arm and a leg for his conversions like the other retrofitters do, and he has a lot of business.

Look at the 2013 Boss HIDs. Ford had the same ides, but since mine was done first, they copied me!:yelpleased:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012
Apprentice

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...installed.html

Some very useful information in this thread here about HIDs in the raxioms. Basically, 35w is what should be used in the raxioms like Judged88 mentioned.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiryuswift View Post
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...installed.html

Some very useful information in this thread here about HIDs in the raxioms. Basically, 35w is what should be used in the raxioms like Judged88 mentioned.
Indeed, I created that thread.

You'll need to use the 35watt HID lights.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
|Black/Black 400a | Brembo | 19"Gunmetals| DMH Low Profile Electric Cutouts | HID Projectors | DDM Tuning Slim 5k Headlights | DDM Tuning Slim 5k Foglights|Roush Eibach Pro Kit | Smoked' Vinyl Overlays |
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012
ucb
PONY Member

what projectors did you choose? Im doing a mini H1 bi-xenon retrofit right now

It may have taken a bit longer since our headlights are perma-sealed vs the goey sealant most other manufacturers used in the past. If you dont have experience with it, its much much harder to disassemble from what I've read. It'll be my first time with the perma-seal so im getting a spare set of lights to work on slowly
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Awesome lights, anyway I use smoked raxiom and the stang mod kit for hid. Pretty sure 35watt. It is official right headlight is bubbking out
Rookie

Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo (10-12 GT, V6) mod for HID Conversion

Step by step instructions in photo.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Heh. I just did this mod today. (35W Diode Dynamics HIDs in Raxiom Tinted Projector Headlights) Works well for me!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Apprentice

I used DDM 35W HID kit and went with the 5000k color range and its pretty much just what I wanted

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe
Rookie

DDM kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnxboyxjoe View Post
I used DDM 35W HID kit and went with the 5000k color range and its pretty much just what I wanted
You used this? DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

Also what bulbs did you buy? I want dual beam and i'm not sure what to go with. Was the fabrication to get them into the headlights difficult?
Apprentice

that's crazy that the 35w kits are all you can put in the headlights. I have a 55w hid kit in my foglights and have had no issues yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page