Suspension options WITHOUT lowering - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Same thoughts as OP, to improve handling, nose lift and dive w/o lowering car.

Pardon my suspension ignorance.

A stiffer set of progressive rate springs is not necessiarily required? I've not seen any that don't drop at least 1" in front and 1 1/4" in the rear.

In that regard, the same shock/strut used in a lowered car can be used in one that's not?

One thought I've had to reduce the drop to only 1/2" front and 3/4" rear would be to lower w/springs (thinking likely Ford Racing adj hndling kit, possibly Koni/Steeda components) and then go to a 28" tire.

Need summer wheels/tires and thinking 255/45-19 front and 285/40-19 rear on 8.5 and 10" Nurburgrings. The tire I want however, Mich Pilot SS, are a bit pricey.

This would also serve to get me a little gear back from the 3.73's ...plus these 27" tires look a little dinky on this car, to me.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Resurrecting an older thread here, but I am like the OP and don't want to lower the car, but want better cornering. All seem like good advice here, but what shocks and struts can you get that don't go with the lowering springs?

And pardon me for being naughty, I have a 2008 S197 GT and am posting on the 5.0 page :P They are fairly similar in suspension, no?

Sent from a lumpy rock in my lawn using Hammer & Chisel
Over: 2008 GT Premium, Black, Smoked out LED taillights, Roush window louvers, Cervinis Type IV ram air hood & hood struts, Ford Racing FR500s axlebacks, Cravenspeed stubby antenna, CDC Classic chin spoiler
Under: JLT 3 Intake with Brenspeed tune, Koni shocks & struts, J&M Extreme rear LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, Strut tower brace, Charcoal AMR wheels, Conti Extreme DW tires 255/45/18
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
If you want to crisp your suspension and, in a way, reduce your body roll, trust me, invest in a good quality strut/shock setup. I do autocross and last season I just drove my car for fun 100% stock. I just put on Koni Sports ("Yellows") and the ride is soo much more improved (night and day). This is with stock V6 Performance Package springs, stock sway bar (same as on the GT; 34.5mm) and SVT PP rear sway bar (same as on the GT500 PP/TP and FRPP SVT rear way bar; 24mm).

I would strongly suggest getting struts/shocks first. Then, if you feel the need, upgrade your sway bars. This will give you a good basis to start from and be able to better assess your vehicle. Also, in my opinion, it is the better bang for your buck. Can sway bars cost less? Yes, but the stock struts/shocks are not very good and you really wont get a sense of how "strong" of sway bars you need. A good strut/shock will do more for your car than sways will. Use sway bars as a tuning tool.

At that point, if you feel you need to get rid of a little understeer, go with a slightly stronger rear sway bar.

If you feel the tail end gets out a little quick for your liking (a little too much oversteer for you), upgrade the front sway bar to a slightly stronger one.

Pay attention to what kind of over/understeer you have. Is it corner entry? Is it mid corner? Is it corner exit? The reason you must figure this out is that what you may think you have under/oversteer, but not really. For example, in mid corner, say you feel the car understeers, but it may just be the vehicle falling over too much into the outside tire in the front - you would actually want to add roll resistance to the front.
Fantastic info! Thank you.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Ordered 3/7/11 2012 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Kona Blue Metallic, Stone Interior, 400A, 6-Spd Manual, HID/Security Pkg., 3.55 LTD Slip, Comfort Pkg., Brembo Brake Pkg., Rear Video Camera.
VIN# 5/13/11
Window Sticker Published 5/20/11
Build Date 5/26/11
Delivery Date 6/6/11 Changed to 6/12/11
Delivered 7/1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page