Anyone else don't like others cleaning, washing their cars? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
2006GTfan

Anyone else don't like others cleaning, washing their cars?

Just curious is anyone else like this? I mean not wanting others to detail your car, or waxing it? Last year my dad for my Bday was going to pay to have it hand waxed, but I told him I'd rather do it myself.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to cleaning my cars in general and I'd rather do it myself knowing it will get done right, and not half a$$ed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
Apprentice

I'm the same way. It is also a chance for me to spend hours knowing every inch of the car so when something new pops up (scratches, dings, etc.) I can be sure to catch it and point fingers at the responsible party. It is always nice when the dealer runs the cars through the brushes as I can't get to it everyday (and Kona Blue is almost as bad as black with dirt) but like you said I know ill do it right as compared to someone else doing only half the job.

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
Apprentice

When I had my 12, I made the mistake of letting the dealer "detail" it before delivery. By detail they must have meant use a beach towel full of sand to dry it off. It was swirled like a mother. After that lesson, I did not let anyone or anything else touch my car, let alone wash it.

Ordered: 2.21.12 VIN: 3.23.12 Build: 4.13.12 ETA: 4.22.12
2013 GT Premium. 6MT. Deep Impact Blue. Recaros, Nav, Track Pack, Reverse sensing, Backup Camera. Borla S-Type Axlebacks, WeatherTech floor mats, Ford Racing K Springs, BMR Adj. Panhard, Upper and lower billet grille.

12.10.2011 RIP: 2012 GT Prem, Kona Blue, 6M, 3.73's, reverse sensing package, premium wheels, Grabberpony Shift Knob, WeatherTech floor mats, BOSS valence and splitter, Saleen Grille, HID's, Roush Axlebacks.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
Apprentice

I'm like this too... My lady thinks I'm crazy! I won't let anyone touch it... the thought of someone dragging a towel across it that was just dropped on gravel or some $#!& makes me cringe

-- A Tribute to Ridiculous Signatures -- 2011 Mustang GT -- Performance White -- Charcoal Black Leather -- Borla S-Type Exhaust -- FRPP Boss Gauge Pod -- Boss Steering Wheel -- V6PP 19" Rims -- Sh!t Ton of Wheel Locks -- Viper Paging Alarm -- Baseball Bat -- GT500 Splash Guards -- :hihi:
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
2006GTfan

During the few months it's cool, or don't have the time, I take it to a automated car wash, but only the touchless ones.

Well last month I decided to use one of the ones that use the brushs still, and that was a mistake. LAst week I finally got the hose hooked up so I could finally wash the car myself at home. Well I noticed a fine scratch mark on it. I know it's from the car wash because its long and VERY fine. Not from a car door, key ect.

Yea I know I need to stay away from them, but I figured since my car was really filthy to use the wash that has the brushs. My mistake. Otherwise my car is totally flawless.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yes I pulled mine out of storage on Friday and gave her a bath and went for a nice cruise this weekend..life was good.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
Black w/ Silver Racing Stripes
6 speed manual, 401A Charcoal Black Leather, GT Package. Borla's
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
GT Member

I like the process of the final detail work but I've always cringed at the thought of doing the prep work. Ie. stripping contaminants, wax removal, clay bar etc.

I switched over to a couple of the Ultima products last year and can't begin to say how much I love this stuff. Their All In One protectant is ridiculously easy to apply and gives a depth and slickness that is insane. Their waterless wash spray is just as superb. These two products make keeping the car ready for the shows much easier. When the weather is good I just spray her down every night and it's much easier to keep up with it.

Displacement makes you complacent
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

After seeing the guys at the beginning of the car wash try to rub a paint chip off my hood with the rim/wheel brush I am now very skeptical. Left some serious swirls on my old car. With my new Mustang and the spring approaching, I am staying away from letting other folks touch it all year.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012
Apprentice

The only time I run my car through a car wash is with the touchless variety.

Now I have a heated garage with hot/cold water and that is where the car is washed/waxed etc.

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
Ernest Hemingway 1899-1961
2012 GTCS 6 MT 3.55 Race Red
1994 GT Convertible 5 MT 3.73 Deep Forest Green - SOLD
TEKNO SCT410, Tekin Pro4 4600KV RX8
GT Member
V6 Member

Out of laziness a couple of times this winter I went through an automated brushed car wash. I now have several scratches on my 'stang. I mostly used the high pressure spray stalls this winter and did it myself but that wasn't always practical.

I'm not that anal about my car, it is a dd but I am keeping it up doing all the work myself. I picked up some Meguairs Swirl remover, Scratch X and Ultimate compound to tackle those swirls and scratches. I haven't re-waxed yet but will soon.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
Apprentice

I received a year of free washes from The Wash Tub when I bought my mustang. I decided to go by and see how they do it. Before I even pulled into their lot I saw a whole team of people rubbing down a finished vehicle with a bunch of dirty towels. Needless to say, I did not pull into their lot.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
I like the process of the final detail work but I've always cringed at the thought of doing the prep work. Ie. stripping contaminants, wax removal, clay bar etc.
I like clay barring much more than waxing. It is tempting to work harder than you need to with the claybar - epsecially with the anticipation of knowing you are going around the car at least one more time with wax or other products.

If you take your time claying can be a relaxing chore and the before-after feel (baggie test) is very rewarding.

As for washing the car, no one else touches it. My 11 y/o son is my part time hose man but that's as close as anyone else gets

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Apprentice

Well after my 2001 came with the DISM (Dealer Installed Swirl Marks), I said never again. Took my a good year of tries to get the paint nearly flawless. When I ordered my 2012, I requested no dealer prep other than removal of plastic! No wash, I will do it. It is amazing how great the paint looks with out the swirls...

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black - Brembo/3:73/Security Pkg
GT500 Axle-backs/Spoiler, Resonator Delete, Boss Valance/Splitter, K-Springs,Saleen Grille, CJ Intake Manifold, FRPP CAI, FRPP Exhaust Cams, Mid Length Headers, AED Tune
2001 Mustang GT "BULLITT" #3309 DHG - Gone but not forgotten...
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwall View Post
The only time I run my car through a car wash is with the touchless variety.

Now I have a heated garage with hot/cold water and that is where the car is washed/waxed etc.
Touchless car washes are fine in a bind but the cleaner they use has chemical properties that are harsher than 409 oven cleaner. It's the only way they can remove the bugs, grease and road grime with a jet. I'm not joking or exaggerating. I have a relative that works for a company that owns touchless car washes in West Michigan. He goes from location to location emptying the money machines and refilling the chemicals. He said that his wife uses the presoak detergent to clean their household appliances because 409 takes twice the time and effort.

Also because the chemical is such a potentent degreaser it's does an outstanding job of stripping grease from aftermarket bushings used on control arms, sway bars etc.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
I like clay barring much more than waxing. It is tempting to work harder than you need to with the claybar - epsecially with the anticipation of knowing you are going around the car at least one more time with wax or other products.

If you take your time claying can be a relaxing chore and the before-after feel (baggie test) is very rewarding.

As for washing the car, no one else touches it. My 11 y/o son is my part time hose man but that's as close as anyone else gets
Oh I get the benefits but just hate the time and effort. I strip and claybar my car every year to start fresh. It makes a huge difference in the final finish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page