Ford Mustang Forum banner

P0461 DTC Problem Code

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  hammergjh 
#1 ·
I popped this code 3 times w/i the past week and once about 4 months ago. Here's the description. I'll probably have to bring it in. Plus my emissions status is "yellow". Bummer.

Possible causes
- Fuel level sensor circuit harness is open or shorted
- Fuel level sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty fuel level sensory
P0461 FORD Description
The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel level sensor unit. The sensor detects a fuel level in the fuel tank and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The fuel level sensor consists of two parts, one is mechanical float and the other side is variable resistor. The fuel level sensor output voltage changes depending on the movement of the fuel mechanical float.
When is the code detected?
The output signal of the fuel level sensor does not change within the specified range even though the vehicle has been driven a long distance.

#3 ·
I popped it again. I can't get to the browsable manual that addresses this issue. Can anyone open this section up?

2011 » Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis » SECTION 5 [Pinpoint Tests] » 3.7L » HX

#4 ·
Update, it popped again so I made an appt at the dealer. It usually pops just below 3/4 of a tank. I didn't clear it this time so I could bring it in. Odd thing is, after the fuel tank got around 1/4 tank, it cleared itself after a couple of driving cycles.

Anyway, they found a software update for this code. So that's cool.

Just an FYI for everyone.

#5 ·
Popped it again. Gonna bring it back in, see what happens. :headscratch:

#7 ·
Yeah, musta popped it at least a dozen times now.

#8 ·
Update:
My CEL popped on Thursday on the way home from work (long drive), so I called and made an appt for Friday. Long diagnosis procedures pointed to the Fuel Sending Unit on the fuel pump. The part is 270 bucks and they have to remove the back seat to replace it. One day parts delivery and it should be repaired tomorrow afternoon.

FYI for anyone who may encounter this.

#9 ·
UPDATE:
I had the dreaded fuel gauge reading "E" problem w/ ~ half a tank left. Need to bring it in again. Oy.

:banghead:

#12 ·
Ok, turns out I didn't have half a tank of gas as I surmised. Here's the story. After the fuel sending unit was replaced my gas gauge read full when I picked up the 'stang. I figured they filled my tank for testing or as a gesture seeing as they had the 'stang for 3 days waiting for parts. Drove normally over the weekend, everything seemed fine. Left for work reading half full, 130 mile round trip commute, I can easily do that round trip w/ half a tank. About half way there the low gas warning came on suddenly indicating 3 miles to empty. No other warnings preceded it. I was a good 25 miles from my office. I ignored it! :nogrinner

Left work w/ the warning reading zero miles to empty. Welp, I ran out of gas a mile from work w/ 64 miles to go. :gringreen There was a station a 10 minute walk, so no biggie. Between the $10 gas can I bought and filling it up, 15.5 gallons. I guess I was out. :gringreen So, I bring it in today and they do some testing and a software update. It's reading full when I get it w/ 115 miles on this tank. I filled it up as a precaution (put in 5.9 g) and now it's reading half full again. Fk'n A.

#13 ·
So they replaced both sending units on each side of the fuel tank and claim all is well. It's now reading accurately. Hopefully this issue is now put to bed.

#14 ·
Warranty covered?
cdn.gif

#15 ·
July '15 with 45k on the odometer and this is happening again, P0461. Popped it twice w/i the past week. Seems odd that it's happening to me but no one else is complaining about it. Anyway, the car runs fine so I'll just leave it for now and explore the parts cost. Maybe I'll take out the back seat and inspect the wires too.

Stay tuned...

#16 ·
Update: 47,800 on the odometer. This has been an ongoing issue for at least the past year (I put on about 1500 miles on it in the past year). Popping CEL's and then watching them reset. Usually they pop at just over 3/4 of a tank and then reset just under 1/4 of a tank. The fuel gauge was reading correctly as far as I can tell. I failed my state's inspection so I decided I had to finally address it. I looked at the warranty repair receipts from 2012 and Ford had replaced both sending units, one on each side of the "saddlebag" gas tank. So that's what I decided to do.

I got the parts from Rock Auto which were genuine Motorcraft parts.
1. MOTORCRAFT PS940 {#BR3Z9275A, BR3Z9275B, PS412} ~$37
2. MOTORCRAFT PS941 {#BR3Z9A299B, PS413} ~$40

With shipping about 80 bucks. Not too bad. The install was "easy" but messy. A couple of caveats.
1. Remove the back seat, pop off the rubber access covers on each side. Removing the lock ring is tricky and one needs to be careful. I used a screwdriver wrapped in an oily cloth to prevent sparking. A brass drift is recommended but I don't have one. It's slow and damage to the top of the the tank can occur. I subsequently bought the lock ring removal tool, see below.
2. The left unit is the entire unit into itself and pops out and then right back in again. The right unit is a small attachment on the Fuel pump itself. Easy to replace.
3. Don't think there's less fuel in the tank than there is. The left side (passenger) was very easy. The right side (driver) overflowed. I then got a pump and pumped out 2 gallons of gas to make it easier. Made quite a mess.
4. Read the Fuel section in the Drivetrain section of the Ford Manuals referenced elsewhere on this site for a good explanation.
5. The removal tool was $50 on Amazon, $170 from Ford. OTC 6599.

#17 ·
I used a screwdriver wrapped in an oily cloth to prevent sparking.
Just as an aside, you should always disconnect the battery before performing this (and most other work). Image the catastrophe that COULD have occurred.

#18 ·
Yes, I disconnected the battery and also followed the fuel pressure release procedure(disconnecting the fuel control module in the trunk and then running the car until it dies). I didn't siphon off any fuel from the filler opening, which I regret. All in all a pretty easy process.

Reactions: crjackson
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.