Aww Crap - Swirl Mark Help. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Aww Crap - Swirl Mark Help.

I had this decal on my hood I took it off

Here's the new look

But as a parting gift from the decal and it left me with glue residue, so I was using WD40 Microfiber cloth scrubbing to getting this glue off. I got it off! I also got a more swirl marks on my car.

After i finished I was scrubbed the hood twice with soap and water then I clayed the car then waxed it.

As a result i have swirl marks... Whats will be the best remedy to fix this? Have some one buff it? Polish it? or buy a new hood?

A memo to my 2015 Mustang: I will not put stripes on you, enless you come with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
PONY Member

Nice Stang, man! You could try Nu Finish Scratch Doctor--it takes out swirl marks and haze. I'm not sure if this would work on your car, but it's dark blue--i've got a black Mustang and used Turtle Wax's Black Box....it's black wax/ polish, but you should check around to see if it works on dark colors (dark green, dark blue, etc). It had done wonders for my flat black hood scoop, and it won't harm other colors on the car (ie: i've got red striping and chrome polished Mustang lettering and the wax didn't harm or stain either of them).

1999 35th Anniversary V6 (FRPP 4.10's, Auburn LSD, MAC catback dual exhaust w/h-pipe, P&P'd upper and lower intakes, 70mm Accufab TB with intake port matched/ polished, BBK ceramic shorties, etc)
1991 T-Bird Super Coupe 3.8 Eaton M90 intercooled 12 psi, factory 8.8 lsd (double intercooler, etc)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
MACH I Member

Unless you have some detailing experience I would recommend taking it to a professional. Buffing out micro-scratches on a dark coloured car is probably best left to someone who has done it before.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
GT Member
V6 Member

I picked up some of Meguiars products, Swirl X and Scratch X 2.0. Both seem very effective. I attacked a litany of swirls and scratches on my 'stang this past WE and I'm pretty pleased.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
GT Member

Mild polish should clean that up but if you aren't skilled with a random orbital polisher you may want to get an expert to do it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Unless you have some detailing experience I would recommend taking it to a professional. Buffing out micro-scratches on a dark coloured car is probably best left to someone who has done it before.
+1, I've got a professional detail shop where they do McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche that quote me $250 for the entire car in & out. I might do that at some point.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
Rookie
S197 Member

i buffed mine myself. no more swirls and a deep gloss finish

2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
Brembos, Avant Garde m368s, D2 coilovers, Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 Mufflers
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
GT Member

Spend the money on a good random orbital. Plenty video's on this. Its not hard to do and sooner or later with a dark color you will have to do it again.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
i buffed mine myself. no more swirls and a deep gloss finish

Hot damn Midnight.....Looks like Im looking through a glass window.
AWESOME! Hard work pays off!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0: Performance White: Brembos: 3.73: 6sp: GT/CS front fascia: Boss 302 splitter: Roush billet grill: Steeda Ultralites: Tokiko D-spec : GT500 strut mounts: UMI adj.panbar: Steeda Billet LCA: Hurst Billet Plus Shifter: Airaid CAI: SCT Tuner w/Bama custom tune: Roush axle back:
Rookie

I like the new look! You can easily loose the swirls yourself.
I had never used a buffer before purchasing a Porter Cable random orbital buffer a couple of months ago. After some research, I had no problems taking out the heavy swirls on my black 05 GT. IMO, detailedimage.com has the best tutorials and step by step guides by some of the top professional detailers in the US.
Here are some before and after pics. The after pics where taken after compounding and polishing. (Before any sealant and wax)
Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Before...

After...

PONY Member
S197 Member

I bought a random orbital from Griots and it's been the best car care product I've ever spent money on. Much better and faster than doing the polishing and waxing by hand.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter Dan View Post
I bought a random orbital from Griots and it's been the best car care product I've ever spent money on. Much better and faster than doing the polishing and waxing by hand.
Ditto, I am a huge Griot's fan. I had to polish out a multitude of swirl marks and scratchs on my brand new vert. Griot's polishs combined with their orbital sander are very safe and no chance of grinding through your clear coat.

2012 California Special Convertible / Ebony Black / 5.0 liter / MT-82 / GT500 Axle Backs with resonator delete / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter & base bushing / Airaid CAI / BMR LCAs / BMR Relocation Brackets / BMR Adjustable UCA & Bracket / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar / Steeda Sport Springs / GT500 Strut Mounts / Koni STR.Ts / Shaker 500 with Infinity 6832CFs / Redline hood strut / Redline leather shifter & E-brake boots
PONY Member

Which orbital did you guys get?

2011 Black Mustang GT 5.0 Brick-Red
6SP Manual | 3.73 Gears | HIDs | Sec & Anti-Theft Pkg | Brembo GT Brake Pkg | Comfort Package | Shaker 1000 |
Mods:

2011 CS/GT Front Valance, 2011 GT500 Rear Diffuser, 2011 SVT GT500 Mufflers, 2011 Roush Side Skirts, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, Boss 302 Front Splitter, Speed Dawg custom shift-knob, Black Pony Emblem, 50% fog-light tint, Blacked Out Side Marks Front and Rear, 35% All-around Tint & Heon H10 fog-light bulbs
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimaniac View Post
Which orbital did you guys get?
Like a few folks above, I went with Griot's for my random-orbital. I already was using their car care products so it was an easy choice. It appears to be a re-badged Porter Cable, or if not, the designer had a P-C on his desk while drawing it in CAD! Combined with Richard Griot's DVD that walked an idiot like me through the whole care care process, it is a great tool. I think the DVD comes with the polisher, but I had purchased one for ten bucks when I first started using the car care stuff. I know there are a ton of videos on the Net that shows this stuff but I like popping the DVD in and boning up on various steps. It takes you through the whole wash, clay, polish, wax, micro-fiber towel stuff and so on. Works for me!

PS I knew absolutely nothing about vehicle detailing and always used a pro shop; now if a car slows down on my street I feel like running out there with random-orbital and cleaning it up!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm75 View Post
Like a few folks above, I went with Griot's for my random-orbital. I already was using their car care products so it was an easy choice. It appears to be a re-badged Porter Cable, or if not, the designer had a P-C on his desk while drawing it in CAD! Combined with Richard Griot's DVD that walked an idiot like me through the whole care care process, it is a great tool. I think the DVD comes with the polisher, but I had purchased one for ten bucks when I first started using the car care stuff. I know there are a ton of videos on the Net that shows this stuff but I like popping the DVD in and boning up on various steps. It takes you through the whole wash, clay, polish, wax, micro-fiber towel stuff and so on. Works for me!

PS I knew absolutely nothing about vehicle detailing and always used a pro shop; now if a car slows down on my street I feel like running out there with random-orbital and cleaning it up!
lol!

That's awesome. Thanks.

2011 Black Mustang GT 5.0 Brick-Red
6SP Manual | 3.73 Gears | HIDs | Sec & Anti-Theft Pkg | Brembo GT Brake Pkg | Comfort Package | Shaker 1000 |
Mods:

2011 CS/GT Front Valance, 2011 GT500 Rear Diffuser, 2011 SVT GT500 Mufflers, 2011 Roush Side Skirts, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, Boss 302 Front Splitter, Speed Dawg custom shift-knob, Black Pony Emblem, 50% fog-light tint, Blacked Out Side Marks Front and Rear, 35% All-around Tint & Heon H10 fog-light bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page