Brembo brakes on a non-brembo 2011 GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
You can get the Ford Racing 14" Brembo front brake kit from Late Model Restoration for $1179.99 with shipping.

2005-2012 Mustang GT500 Style 14" Front Brake Kit M-2300-S by Ford Racing - Free Shipping at LatemodelRestoration.com

The Ford Racing kit is slightly better than the factory Brembo kit, as the Ford Racing version comes with Stainless Steel Braided brake lines for the front and rear, while the stock Brembo Mustang's use a reinforced rubber line...
Which leads me to these questions...

1. What is the difference in brake pedal feel between the stock and brembo?

and

2. What is the difference in pedal feel between brembo with rubber lines (Boss 302 lines?) and braided lines?

I ask because I too am trying to figure the best forward with my non-brembo setup for a track/instructor course my wife bought me for Christmas last year. I plan on taking the class this summer, and can't decide whether to go brembo or stick with stock and just upgrade the pads, lines and fluid.
:laughlitt

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post

and

2. What is the difference in pedal feel between brembo with rubber lines (Boss 302 lines?) and braided lines?

I ask because I too am trying to figure the best forward with my non-brembo setup for a track/instructor course my wife bought me for Christmas last year. I plan on taking the class this summer, and can't decide whether to go brembo or stick with stock and just upgrade the pads, lines and fluid.
My answers to questions 1 & 2 would be "very little", but you're bound to get different opinions.
For your first track/HPDE excursion (and then some) there is absolutely nothing wrong with stock stuff, provided you upgrade pads & fluid. SS line upgrade is optional. I did a season's worth of track days with the stockers. I had upgraded lines, but can't really tell you whether it made a difference. Later I added the ducting/cooling. For this year I have added the Brembo stuff, but it's not because of any catastrophic failure of the stock setup. You just have to understand the limitations and monitor wear more closely. Read up.
BTW, you can get the Brembo hardware for much less than the kits @ ~$1200 if you do want to go that route.

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadave View Post
I like getting my car serviced at one place for the convenience and lack of hassle, and while it's under warranty it's going to be the dealership.
I didn't get the brembo package on my 2011 GT because it was already built, but part of me wants the brakes.
Is it possible to purchase the same brakes from a dealership as in the package so that when maintenance comes, they will have the correct pads/rotors in stock for me?
Thanks
Hi megadave,

Here are the ones I found on FRPP: FR500 BREMBO BRAKE CALIPER KIT | Part Details for M-2320-D | Ford Racing Performance Parts. Always check the warranty info and speak to your Ford dealer about installs.

Deysha

GT Member

Unless you are boiling your brake fluids and dealing with expansion you will not notice a thing really. I doubt you'll be hitting those levels for quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post

and

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
That's kind of sad, can't believe they didn't even do some rear Brembo calipers for the GT500... Oh well...
considering the grand am race cars still use the single piston rears, that might mean they are doing their job

2012 Kona Blue V6 6M Base | Performance Package | Boss 302 Steering Wheel | MGW Shifter | Morel Components
1985.5 Black SVO | Stinger FMIC | Forced4 CAI | More Boost!
ucb
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite8511 View Post
considering the grand am race cars still use the single piston rears, that might mean they are doing their job
They are sold with single piston rears..that doesnt mean every team uses them. And the race cars are significantly lighter than the production cars.

But I agree with what others have said, the stock set up will be fine for your first few HPDEs..but YMMV. The mustang is a heavy car..with a lot of HP..depending on how fast you pick up speed and the track you run at..it might become an issue sooner than later. Brakes are one of the things you can never have too much of..but will pay the price if you dont have enough.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ok I've been searching for this but cannot find an answer (or maybe I missed it...); what is the difference between the stock GT Brembo brakes and the stock GT500 Brembo brakes (except the Stainless Steel Braided brake lines for the front and rear on the GT500, while the stock Brembo Mustang's use a reinforced rubber line?)?

Also, does anyone has the part number or link for the stock GT Brembo brakes? Anyone else done the swap with one or the other?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page