Reckless driving in the USA - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Bummer. Sounds like its time to lawyer up.

Interesting topic though. I was driving across town one Sunday morning a couple weeks ago with my lady, top down, dry, clear, warm weather. Stopped by my bank, located in a big shopping center. Nobody around except two local cops sitting at one end of the huge empty parking lot, us in my 'stang at the other end. About 1/4 mile between us.

I got through at the bank ATM, noticed the completely empty parking lot, and ran a few figure 8s in the lot, never exceeding 25 mph, just cutting quick turns. My lady and I were both laughing. As we pull out of the lot onto the main road, the cops come flying across the lot and hit their lights and sirens.

I pull over into a nearby business and they get out of their cars. I hand one cop my paperwork, smiled, and said I say I hope I didnt break any laws. After seeing that we werent desperate criminals in a stolen car or something, they were good sports. One of them did say that my cutting figure 8s in the parking lot would be considered reckless driving by the state. They looked at my paperwork and told us to drive safely and have a nice day.

Me, I think it was just a slow morning and the cops were bored.

2012 GT Convertible premium, M82 6 speed manual trans, Performance White with black leather/lava inserts, black top, rear park assist, comfort package. WOW! What a machine! I LOVE this car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012VertGT5.0 View Post
After seeing that we werent desperate criminals in a stolen car or something, they were good sports. One of them did say that my cutting figure 8s in the parking lot would be considered reckless driving by the state. They looked at my paperwork and told us to drive safely and have a nice day.

Me, I think it was just a slow morning and the cops were bored.
Maybe they wanted a closer look at your wheels and lady........

2012 Mustang Base V6 Coupe, 6 spd Automatic, 3.31 Rear Axle, Kona Blue
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I guess I'll need to be more observant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post
So i let my old man take my car to NYC for a business trip. He ended up getting charged with reckless driving along the way. What is the policy in the United States? He obviously has to go to court, but im trying to get a little perspective from you guys that live in the US. How badly did he screw up?
Sorry to hear this. Do you know where he was in NY? I hope things come out ok. I agree that out of country plates, license, etc. might have an effect. I worry any time I cross into your country from the US. I guess when I trip across NY in May in the Mustang, I'll have to watch my speed, and driving. Did the same trip last year in May and the NY Troopers where all over the place. I was nervous and I was driving the Subaru Outback.

Best of luck

2012 Mustang Base V6 Coupe, 6 spd Automatic, 3.31 Rear Axle, Kona Blue

PONY Member

I got reckless driving in VA for going 81 in a 70. Anything over 80 is considered "reckless"

Anyway, your dad will be getting about 20 letters from local lawyers so just sort through them and choose one that has a flat fee.

I paid $175 for the lawyer, i did not have to go to court and my charge was reduced to improper equipment with no points or anything. $190 for the charge and I was done.

2011 Black V6 Premium, Saddle Leather, Pony Package, Airaid CAI, Borla Touring Axle-Back Exhaust, 2.73, Security Package, Automatic, 4 Rockford Fosgate Power 5 x 7 Speakers, Side Stripe Delete, Hawk ceramic pads, BAMA Hybrid tune, Nitto Motivo tires.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbax35 View Post
I got reckless driving in VA for going 81 in a 70. Anything over 80 is considered "reckless"

Anyway, your dad will be getting about 20 letters from local lawyers so just sort through them and choose one that has a flat fee.

I paid $175 for the lawyer, i did not have to go to court and my charge was reduced to improper equipment with no points or anything. $190 for the charge and I was done.
wow I think here its 85, but they like speed here. I remember when they wanted to raise the speed limit on the I10 strip from 75-80 a couple years back.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
PONY Member

That's too bad... Sorry to hear.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
Apprentice
V6 Member

There is plenty of roads around me where the speed limit is actually 80, so the Over 80 thing really depends on your location also. I am very far away from NewYork though and I live in a desert so speed limits are a little higher here.
Californicajun

Reckless driving can even be changing lanes without a signal. They consider that a wreckless move. If it were serious enough, they would have arrested him on the spot.
GT Member

i got a reckless driving ticket and a speeding ticket at the same time once. i talked to the cop after the fact and i wrote him a paper about how dangerous it is to do what i did, he never turned in the tickets. im really thankful for that. and saving 1k+

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Every state is different as others have said. In NC the 2 elements for reckless driving are:

Quote:
(a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others shall be guilty of reckless driving.
(b) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property shall be guilty of reckless driving.
NCGS 20-140 (a) and (b)

I can only assume that most states laws, although different, should have elements similar to those listed above. Some states attach a certain speed number to it, some don't. What I don't like about NC's law is that it's pretty much up to the charging officer's discretion as to what is "without due caution or circumspection". I guess if he wanted to be a real ***** about it, 1 mph over the speed limit could be construed to be without due caution, right? How about following too close? Running a stoplight? All of which have their own charges listed, and are all infractions-where as C&R driving is a class 2 misdemeanor with possible jail time attached.

Good luck to your dad, I hope he can get it all straightened out.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

After doing some research i understand what the situation is. Thanks to the poster who provided the link to new york state reckless driving policies. My old man used to race cars back in the day, was pretty good apparently and had a few sponsors. This was in europe though, and it was mainly rally cars. I guess this american v6 was a little too much for him :nogrinner ... either way he was with my mom and apparently she was sleeping at the time... so i have no idea what he was trying to do... from what i understand he was just speeding. Although from the research i have done, reckless driving in the new york state is often more than just speeding alone. They come back tonight so we'll see what he has to say for himself. LOL

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
Apprentice

I had no idea it was so bad in some places. 81 in a 70 is reckless driving in va? OMg they should put that on their travel brochures to save everyones license and in turn everyone can save their time and go elsewhere.

I have been pulled over in utah doing 89 in a construction zone (you know the ones where they set orange cones up on your work commute but never actually do construction or have workers there) which was 55.

Fought it in court and got it reduced to a 80 in a 65 and paid the fine.

Reckless driving here in utah I believe is doubling a low speed limit 50 in a 25 or getting clocked at over 100 when its freeway speed. There are a lot of things they can pretend are reckless and force you to go to court over however.

2005 GT - Full Mod List In Mustang Rides - MGW 5 Speed, E-Force S/C 3.25" pulley. Dual Gt 500 Fuel Pumps, Ford Racing Headers, Slp High-Flow X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack Catback, FRPP 3:73, Exedy Mach 500 Stage III clutch and Flywheel, Edelbrock CAI, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, Bmr Adj. Panhard Bar, Dss Aluminum 1 Piece Ds, Nitto Nt555 285/40/18 500RWHP 467tq
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Every State has different laws and policy about reckless driving. In California, a driver has to commit at least 3 moving violations for reckless to be filed. So, basically speed, run a stop sign and cross the yellow line and it can be filed reckless.

With that being said, a police officer can write you up for it if he simply feels you are endangering the public safety. You will beat it in court though if you did not commit at least 3 moving violations.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad View Post
I had no idea it was so bad in some places. 81 in a 70 is reckless driving in va? OMg they should put that on their travel brochures to save everyones license and in turn everyone can save their time and go elsewhere.

I have been pulled over in utah doing 89 in a construction zone (you know the ones where they set orange cones up on your work commute but never actually do construction or have workers there) which was 55.

Fought it in court and got it reduced to a 80 in a 65 and paid the fine.

Reckless driving here in utah I believe is doubling a low speed limit 50 in a 25 or getting clocked at over 100 when its freeway speed. There are a lot of things they can pretend are reckless and force you to go to court over however.
if they gave everyone a reckless driving ticket here who drove over 80, half hte state would have noi licence ,not that the OTHER half does not drive like that,just that they dont have time to catch them.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
PONY Member

We have been waiting for a canadian to do this for a while. We have had enough! Look out for the invasion and congress to approve a war powers act!

j/k/a gl

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page