Reckless driving in the USA - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Reckless driving in the USA

So i let my old man take my car to NYC for a business trip. He ended up getting charged with reckless driving along the way. What is the policy in the United States? He obviously has to go to court, but im trying to get a little perspective from you guys that live in the US. How badly did he screw up?

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012
Beast3.7

It all depends on the state, his driving and criminal records and how badly he was driving. Reckless driving can result in jail time and possibly a felony conviction. But in most cases the charges can be pled down to speeding. He needs a good local attorney and should do what the attorney asks of him.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post
So i let my old man take my car to NYC for a business trip. He ended up getting charged with reckless driving along the way. What is the policy in the United States? He obviously has to go to court, but im trying to get a little perspective from you guys that live in the US. How badly did he screw up?
I'm not an expert in NY State Laws but I think they can nail you for Reckless Driving for pretty much anything. Seems to me that if you greatly exceed the speed limit, they can skip giving you a speeding ticket and go right to Reckless Driving. Reckless Driving and Speeding in New York State

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012
PONY Member

It's called Careless Driving in Ontario. See the Table...

Highway Traffic Act - O. Reg. 339/94

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sorry to hear that, but what did he do exactly?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

I only talked to him on the phone for a few minutes... he was most likely speeding... but by how much i dont know.... when he got pulled over he said things got "very interesting"... still waiting to hear back from him....

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Now that's a twist... kinda of funny really. Hope your dad doesn't get it too bad but it sounds like he might need a lawyer.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012
GT Member

Hopefully it wasn't too fast and he can keep the car. He must have been going a pretty good clip!

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012
PONY Member

subscribed.

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
PONY Member

Your Dad is Sooooo grounded!

Lowell Snohomish River Road between Everett, WA and Snohomish is an absolutely gorgeous stretch of country road where one can, in places, enjoy driving at higher than posted speeds without endangering the public. No cross roads, no drive ways. Snohomish River on your right. BNSF tracks parallell close on your left.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&tok=ASZWlOMpd46ad JaPIY4tpw&cp=4&gs_id=d&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw .r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=962&wrapid=tljp133 265709357206&q=lowell+larimer+road&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x549000a2bdf83a49:0x210727ac058671c4, Larimer+Rd,+Everett,+WA&gl=us&ei=ybtuT-jYNOaOiALHxuSvAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&r esnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA

The point is, irrespective of the technicalities of the law, there are places where you can touch 120 and it's not terribly reckless to do so. Conversely, there are places where 30 is entirely irresponsible.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
MACH I Member

Here's one of those situations where an attorney is necessary. I hope he gets a good one and things go well for him.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
GT Member

Are we talking no access roads at all? We have to go up north soon, might take an exit thereabouts to check it out.

No coppers at all?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Your Dad is Sooooo grounded!

Lowell Snohomish River Road between Everett, WA and Snohomish is an absolutely gorgeous stretch of country road where one can, in places, enjoy driving at higher than posted speeds without endangering the public. No cross roads, no drive ways. Snohomish River on your right. BNSF tracks parallell close on your left.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&tok=ASZWlOMpd46ad JaPIY4tpw&cp=4&gs_id=d&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw .r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=962&wrapid=tljp133 265709357206&q=lowell+larimer+road&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x549000a2bdf83a49:0x210727ac058671c4, Larimer+Rd,+Everett,+WA&gl=us&ei=ybtuT-jYNOaOiALHxuSvAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&r esnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA

The point is, irrespective of the technicalities of the law, there are places where you can touch 120 and it's not terribly reckless to do so. Conversely, there are places where 30 is entirely irresponsible.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

As some have already stated, it all depends on what he did and what his record is. Here in VA, reckless is anything that endangers other drivers, 20 over the speed limit, or over 80mph. Someone can be charged for reckless if they are at fault in an accident as well. Doesn't mean they are going to jail for life, and often it is dropped to "improper driving" in court, which is a lesser offense. Having a lawyer is never bad, but you can always show up to court first and see if they will offer a deal, then if you dont like it, have your court date continued in order to hire an attorney. Hope this helps.

Currently in the market...

SOLD - 2011 Mustang 3.7L V6, Kona Blue, 6spd MT82 (QDC Fluid), Appearance Package, MCA Grille, GrabberPony Kona Shift Knob, K&N Drop-In Air Filter, Performance Package Engine Cover, 01/11 Build
PONY Member

A very few dirt access roads with wide open sight lines Bryce. (See the 2 mile E-W straight section where the river nears the road?)

I don't want to encourage anyone to do anything stupid. In all honesty, as safe as it is when there is no traffic (this car can gitty up to 120 and back down again quickly), there is always the danger of a mechanical failure, a dog running into the road, or a cop (though I've never seen one).

Best to reserve these speeds for the track...but sometimes, when conditions are right, it's just damned hard not to take a bite of the forbidden fruit.

This tape will self destruct in 30 seconds.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

well I drive about 2000 miles a week 1500 of those in nj and ny. and let me tell you I have seen it all things you guys would not even believe.

So for what I see daily and people not getting stopped he must of been screwing up pretty bad. And if in a vehicle with out of state plates that may of made the officers decision to wright a wreckless instead of speeding...

best of luck to him.....

03 Mach 1, Full eaton swap,4;10s, slp 2 with mac H pipe, 443 rwhp tuned by Excessive

1990 lx fully built 331 stroker

89 LX lots of goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page